• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Should I pull the trigger or not?!?!? PRS singlecut

axpro

Hey guys,

as my signature states, I used to have lots of gear, then got divorced, and I have been "Rebuilding" for years now.

I have a nice selection of PRS guitars, my weapon of choice as it were. I work in a shop, so I do see them occasionally, and pick them up when i can

Currently have an artist HBII, a singlecut250 rosewood, a singlecut trem satin, a couple of CE22's and a modded up import singlecut trem. along with the other Les Pauls, etc that us gear nerds collect.

Anyways, I do have the gear I "need" but occasionally i see something cool.

Recently we got a 2013 experience singlecut trem. It's MINTY and soooo pretty.... but do i need it?

The fact that it's so clean and fresh is a turn off, cause I play my gear. I don't play out much (if at all anymore) but I am likely to toss it in a gig bag and go to a few jams. I already have gear that fills in the same sort of situation, that sounds the way i like/need. It would definitely mean something has to go...

SOrry no pics at the moment.

Hoping someone can talk me "off the ledge" so to speak. I have a few $$$ saved, but was REALLY hoping to put that towards a Dingwall bass this year.... not that i "need" that much either, but i really miss my last one.

GAS!

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
Easy day, use my "Quarter method"

Heads you buy it, Tails you don't. Flip the coin. Regardless of which way it comes up, if your first thought is "maybe I should go 2 out of 3" then you know what you really want to do. :D

Simple quick way to decide and it avoids a thread of folks telling you why they don't like PRS, or insulting you for spending that much on a guitar...and we both know a few people will do that simply because it's a PRS and costs more than $500.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
Do you need another single cut? That is the question. You already have a non-trem and a tremendous version so looks like all bases covered.

Save for the Bass. You seem to want that and miss it from what you have said.

agiehler

I think that if buying something will give you enjoyment and won't negatively impact you financially, you should go for it. Especially if you buy used and know you will be able to unload for a similar price if an emergency arises. Money is for spending. Maybe not the best advice, but hey what do I know anyways.

JPIndustrie

Silver Supporting Member
if you want it and you have the bones, why not... nothing is guaranteed in life and if you really need it in your life you should make it happen.

On the other hand given what you've told us regarding your current collection there does sound like a little redundancy.

BUT tell that to the Historic LP reissue guys... you'd be surprised how many times that group can buy pretty much the same guitar with varying levels of relic'ing and top figuring.

axpro

Well, it has been taken out of my hands! A regular customer has asked it be transfered to another store, and I didn't have an "official" hold on it, so off it goes. Probably for the best, as I DO have enough singlecut guitars at the moment.... I think I am going to keep my eyes open for another DGT or first run 513, those are the 2 that i don't have that i miss the most right now... :)

Thanks for the advice!

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
Well, it has been taken out of my hands! A regular customer has asked it be transfered to another store, and I didn't have an "official" hold on it, so off it goes. Probably for the best, as I DO have enough singlecut guitars at the moment.... I think I am going to keep my eyes open for another DGT or first run 513, those are the 2 that i don't have that i miss the most right now... :)

Thanks for the advice!
Sometimes things happen for a reason. This kind of thing has happened to me more than I care to remember. Everytime you are thinking of something, there are probably 3 or 4 other people thinking of the same thing.

The 513 is a fantastic axe! I had one years back and I really liked it.

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member

Thanks for the advice!
Guess it wasn't meant to be. I tend to decide very quickly if I really want a piece of gear. If I'm unsure, then I don't sweat it, and am usually glad when somebody else grabs it. But when I really am looking for a specific piece, like you might be with DGT or a 513, I put a firm price in my head, and when it comes up and it meets my price and condition criteria, I buy it right that second. I've gotten a few great pieces like that while others were "watching" or asking questions.

Good luck finding the exact one you want :)

Otto Tune

I just bought a minty single cut trem, artist series.
The single cut trem "SCT" is a totally different animal from the single cut.
The body is thicker to accommodate the trem machinery, mine has the PRS #6 pickups,
The controls are more McCarty than Les Paul.
I feared it would be average sounding, but it has a tone of it's own. (compared to another PRS)
Mine was one of those 2007's that was caught in the Brazilian rosewood ban, so it sold first in 2013.
Oh so sweet!

Trending Topics