Should I put phat cats in my Hamer Newport Pro

jaded_musician

Gold Supporting Member
I love the bite of my p90 Hamer special.

I think the Newport Pro with humbuckers almost seems too refined. Maybe because I play a lot of teles.

Any thoughts on how the phat cats sound on a Newport Pro? I'm also open to other p90 style pickups that fit in a humbucker sized space.

I'd love to hear opinions, leave it alone or swap them out.

Thanks!

Kid Tele

I had Lollar SCFH in my Hamer Earthen Maple Studio before I sold it. I like them a lot more that the Phat Cats. I still have the SCFH, so PM me if you are interested.

Average Joe

I did and I generally like it. It turned the guitar into a brighter, twangier instrument, and I feel I can get a greater variety of usable sounds out of it with the PCs than with the Seths. I think the PCs make for livelier clean tones and the bridge pickup under gain is more ragged/less smooth than the humbucker was. There are a lot of useable sounds just using the tone knob - from pretty darned bright and cutting to brawney and thick. The neck pickup can go from a big strat neck tone to a very cool smokey jazz sound depending on how I set the amp

It's not really a tele sound - it's closer than with the seths and it is a lovely Big Singlecoil sound. I'm going to stay out of the discussion of whether the PCs sound like P90 and just say that they sound really good in this guitar

I occasionally miss the squak and honk of the bridge humbucker - there were some wonderful classic rock sounds there - but overall I think the PCs are an improvement for my needs

redgold

Silver Supporting Member
Phat Cats are some of my favorite pickups, but they aren't quite a P90 sound...less midrange honk. I think of PC's as a cross between a strat pickup and P90.

jaded_musician

Gold Supporting Member
I picked up Kid Tele's Lollar SCFH pickups. I'll do a before and after demo when I get them.

Thanks for responses. More to come....

analogsystem

Silver Supporting Member
Looking forward to how you like the Lollar SCFH pickups. I am considering them for a 335 too.

kbgear

funny-cat-pictures-021-015.jpg

(Sorry, couldn't resist... ;))

cmatthes

The PhatCat was SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED for the Hamer Newports.

Definitely put 'em in there!

My favorite pickup for those guitars.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom