Should I put phat cats in my Hamer Newport Pro

jaded_musician

Gold Supporting Member
I love the bite of my p90 Hamer special.

I think the Newport Pro with humbuckers almost seems too refined. Maybe because I play a lot of teles.

Any thoughts on how the phat cats sound on a Newport Pro? I'm also open to other p90 style pickups that fit in a humbucker sized space.

I'd love to hear opinions, leave it alone or swap them out.

Thanks!

Kid Tele

I had Lollar SCFH in my Hamer Earthen Maple Studio before I sold it. I like them a lot more that the Phat Cats. I still have the SCFH, so PM me if you are interested.

Average Joe

I did and I generally like it. It turned the guitar into a brighter, twangier instrument, and I feel I can get a greater variety of usable sounds out of it with the PCs than with the Seths. I think the PCs make for livelier clean tones and the bridge pickup under gain is more ragged/less smooth than the humbucker was. There are a lot of useable sounds just using the tone knob - from pretty darned bright and cutting to brawney and thick. The neck pickup can go from a big strat neck tone to a very cool smokey jazz sound depending on how I set the amp

It's not really a tele sound - it's closer than with the seths and it is a lovely Big Singlecoil sound. I'm going to stay out of the discussion of whether the PCs sound like P90 and just say that they sound really good in this guitar

I occasionally miss the squak and honk of the bridge humbucker - there were some wonderful classic rock sounds there - but overall I think the PCs are an improvement for my needs

redgold

Silver Supporting Member
Phat Cats are some of my favorite pickups, but they aren't quite a P90 sound...less midrange honk. I think of PC's as a cross between a strat pickup and P90.

jaded_musician

Gold Supporting Member
I picked up Kid Tele's Lollar SCFH pickups. I'll do a before and after demo when I get them.

Thanks for responses. More to come....

cmatthes

Silver Supporting Member
The PhatCat was SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED for the Hamer Newports.

Definitely put 'em in there!

My favorite pickup for those guitars.

Trending Topics