Should I quit expecting LP 'grunt' out of my PRS ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Timmo, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Timmo

Timmo Member

I really am enjoying my Custom 22 that I recently acquired through a trade deal and I've never understood why PRS guitars never knocked me out before because I love the build quality and the way they play HOWEVER, I think I've finally figured it out..........I do NOT like PRS pickups. Am I alone here? I never read anything about his pickups good or bad. :confused:
    I mean, they are ok but seem to lack that low end grunt I love out of a good Les Paul. These are his Dragon II pickups and like I said, they're ok but lack that growl I'm so used to.
    Should I quit expecting LP tones/grunt out of a PRS?
    Would a different set of humbuckers solve the problem?

:horse

2. tjs

tjs Senior Member

While I hate to keep hyping WCR pickups, a set of Goodwoods should cure what ails 'ya.

3. tjs

tjs Senior Member

That said, a Les Paul is a Les Paul. A PRS is not a Les Paul. While different pickups could give you more low end, whether or not it satisfies your jones for LP sounds depends on your own personal tastes.

4. Timmo

Timmo Member

Yes, I think that is what I need to get used to.
    They are just "different" guitars altogether.
    Thanks for the opinions guys.
    I still think a set of different humbuckers will allow me to fall in love with this guitar.
    What is your take on PRS pickups though?

5. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

Hi, saw the post heres my view. Like it says above a les paul is a les paul.
    I had PRS guitars and they played and looked great , pickups never did it for me. I has a CU22 and it sounded way to dark and the CU24 to thin. I had a Anderson Cobra and though a Les Paul sounding tele, Nope.
    If you want the LP sound Get a Les Paul standard nothing else will do. Just like a Marshall is a Marshall.
    Just my two cents

6. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I've had a few friends around town complaine to me that their perfectly sweet PRS doesn't sound like a LP. I am always quick to point out that it's because a PRS is not a LP.

There's room for both in your guitarsenal. Love 'em and play both for what they do. That's what I'd do if I were into PRS and Gibson. :)

7. Timmo

Timmo Member

Good advice and I'll be taking it...........:BEER

8. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

The PRS has a different tone. A great tone, but that 25" scale ain't ever gonna sound like a exactly like a LP.

9. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Check to see what pickups are in that C22. If they're Dragon IIs, I would not be surprised. I think those pickups are lame. Dragon Is are definitely happier for me.

There are some good PRS pickups, but don't be too bashful about swapping them. Keep the originals around in case you sell the guitar to someone who insists on original stuff.

The C22 can be a fine guitar, but it's not going to get exactly Les Paul sounds even if you put the pickups off a Les Paul in it. That actually happens with Les Pauls! Get to pickup swapping and you might like the guitar a whole lot better, even if it doesn't end up sounding like your idea of a Les Paul.

10. papersoul

papersoul Member

PRS and Gibson are different beats! PRS does have its place. Their pickups seem to work well in their guitars however. I have a CE-22 that seems to work well with the Dragons. My bandmate uses a CU22 with Dragon IIs and that guitar sounds great. Their guitars/pickups sound very even and balanced across the tonal spectrum and this worked well for us during some recent recoridng sessions.

11. angelo

angelo Member

I'll add that a CU 22 is not even PRS' take on a Paul. THe McCarty is.

Still not a Paul though, which is exactly why I love my Mc and (although I have enjoyed other guys playing them) why I don't own a Paul.

It's a big world with many choices.

12. fugazi

fugazi Member

I feel ya. My next guitar is gonna be either a Custom 22 or a Les Paul R7. I think the PRS is a better bet for quality and fit & finish. But the R7 just has that 'growl'.

Resale - I think about the same.
    Looks - PRS (IMO)
    Quality - PRS
    Tone - Gibson.

AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!

13. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Ya know, I think if it is fit and finish you are after, don't buy a Les Paul. If it is the classic LP tone then that is aanother story. My main guitar is a LP and it is the tone that I looked for in other guitars for 20 years but it is not the best craftsmanship I have seen by far. I also sold a taylor and bought a Gibson Jumbo for the same reason. The taylors are way better built and play and tune better but just like the Paul the tone of the Jumbo just kills me.

14. Hardtail

Hardtail Member

In a word ... YES. Been there done that (more than once) & it cost me alot of $$. If you want LP chunk, only one place to get it & you know where ....

HT

15. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I had a McCarty. When I played my buddy's R9, I got rid of that thing fast. Even the McCarty couldn't get close to that chunky, silky growl. Well, the PRS sounded okay, as long as you didn't hear/play the LP after it.. or before it.

It seriously ain't the pickups.

16. markster

markster Member

Changing pickups in the McCarty & SC make all the difference. I actually prefer my PRSs to my 58 RI. They have all the grunt anyone needs.:BEER

17. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I had the same experience with a Hamer archtop a few years back. Great guitar but I could never love it. Fast forward to last year bought an R7, fret work and finish aren't as good but there is just something happening that the Hamer could never accomplish. I know this may sound weird but the R7 has tambor which is similar to the 52 reissue. What I mean by this is the neck pu is dark and the bridge is trebly and cutting. Once you finally figure out how to set up your amp and tone controls it's an awesome experience. Set amp up so the neck is clear with the tone control at or around 8 or 9, then set your bridge so the guitar sounds great with the tone control around 4 to 6. This usually means that the treble/presence will be a little higher on your amp then you would normally do it.

18. webe123

webe123 Member

WHY do people get a certian brand of guitar and then wonder why it does not sound like another instrument made by a TOTALLY DIFFERENT manufacturer? That is just crazy! Different manufacturers make different sounding guitars...just the way it is.

If you want a les paul sound...as others have said...GET A LES PAUL!

The PRS probably sounds like it is supposed to, but if you are wanting another sound, then it is kinda unfair to expect it to sound like a guitar made by someone else. That is not the manufacturers fault.

19. Timmo

Timmo Member

Great info/advice here and I thank all of you.
    PRS guitars are NOT Gibsons and they shouldn't be.
    I find it interesting that I tried to turn my Custom 22 into a LP. Hmm.........I do wish Gibsons were built as well as this PRS.
    Setting up the amp differently has helped somewhat (thanks harryjmic) but maybe it's time for ME to let my PRS......... be a PRS.

20. webe123

webe123 Member

That is great advice for any guitar brand.