Should I revisit Mesa?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JackButler, Feb 16, 2008.

1. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

I have been off of Boogies for years. My idea sof tone and such have changed so much. I have had 0 interest in any Mesa I see anymore, but lately my curiousity has sparked. I don't want the high gain thing, etc. I'm in love with my Soldano for that.
    I've tried Fuchs and Two Rock. WHile I like their cleans, something in the gain channel I don't liek and that is the way I prefer to run the lows...just farts out. This isn't a threa don that. I love the smoothness, etc, but just couldn't get them right no matter what speaks, cabs, or tubes I tried.

So as I red Mesa threads and such, myabe one of them?
    Good fat cleans and a smooth OD channel is all I want in an amp to a/b with the Soldano. Or even maybe in a combo.

What models are somewhat affordable? I never understood the whole Mark series. Seems the Mark IV's are fairly priced ot try. then there are all the new ones and I am clueless. The whole 90's series of the Breakers, etc, no clue. Only one I had was the Tremoverb, but really can't recall waht it sounded like, been way too long.

I don't care for 6v6, love 6l6. 84's are pretty cool, as are 34's, but 6L6 is my fav tube to give it up.
    Fat cleans and smooth OD.
    What models? From inexspensive to high I guess so I can have an idea of to look for used.

2. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Alas, this is one of those many times John Phillips is sorely missed. He knows MESAs inside and out and always offered spot-on advice concerning them.

3. JackButler

What happened to John?
    The Mark 3 seems to get the raves for smooth, so what's up with the IV? The Lonestar's descriptions ounds cool, but you know how that goes.
    I've been through 50 amps the past year or so, so let's go for it!

4. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Didnt' know John was gone.

MESA 5:50 is supposed to be a good non-high gain amp.

5. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

In the last year I've gone through 30 amps or so and my favorite, even after Two Rocks, Fuchs, Divided by 13, etc., is my Mesa Mark IIC+ Simulclass w/reverb. It does everything really well and the lead channel is fantastic.

6. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

I miss John as well. He was a tresure trove of knowledge.

7. mesanatic

mesanatic Member

The Lonestar Classic is the one if you don't want high gain. Beautiful full cleans channel 1 and great mid gain tones on the 2nd channel. All 6L6.
    10, 50 or 100 watts.

The Tremoverb is a great amp and has a smoother more refined gain than the standard Dual Rectifier. The Roadster is similar and has separate reverb for each of 4 channels.

The Mk series all have nice cleans but some people find the shared EQ a limitation. I seem to be able to dial in two great tones from my Mk II c+ and Mk III. The Mk III lead channel can be very aggressive.
    The IIc+, aggressive and smooth at the same time. But $$$$$. My all time favorite amp also.

The Mk IV has a smoother lead than the III but I sold mine and prefer the II and III.

8. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

I've been thinking of selling my mark lll combo. It is a great amp with all the bells and whistles, its just not getting any play as of late. Yell at me if you have interest.

9. JackButler

Yes, please feel free to PM me with any amps for sale as well.
    Now what about the green, white stripe stuff? Geesh!

10. Keld

Keld Supporting Member

Sounds like you are looking for a two channel amp, which leaves out the Mark I. The Mark II's are great, but the price of a IIc/IIc+ has become ridiculous. IIb's are nice, though IIRC there can be a popping issue when switching channels. The early II's had fet's in place of tubes for one of the drivers (forget which) and Mesa recommended that the fet's be replaced. At least that's what they told me.

Mark III's are my least favorite, as they tend to be voiced for 80's hair metal. If that's your thing though, they could be a great fit. The II has a tighter, more compressed tone than the Mark I, and the Mark III is tighter still than the Mark II.

The Mark IV can be a great sounding amp, and *might* be the best bet. The biggest downside is that they take quite a while figure out how to best dial them in, so if you don't like tweaking, think twice. On the upside, the Mark IV is possibly the best bet to get you in the fat clean and smooth overdrive camp. Plus, there is a third channel available for mid to high crunch rhythm.

One final note, all of the boogies (I don't personally consider anything outside the Mark and SOB stuff to be boogies, as they began the branding of the Mesa name after that) like to be run pretty loud. As with many tube amps, they really start to come to life with a bit of volume, so that might/might not be an issue.

Hope that makes sense and helps a bit.

11. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Where in the heck is John Phillips? Something happen to him? Come on give up the goods.

He is one knowledgable guy. He knows what he is talking about.

There are some cool Boogies for sure. I dont like everything they have but some of the stuff is great.

12. III

III Member

That dude's post are smart... I think I read a post by him that said he'll be on hiatus for a bit.

13. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Where did you read that?

14. Shawn Lutz

Shawn Lutz Member

the DC-5 can be had for a good price and its extremely versatile. I have the widebody combo version, nice clean, 50w 6L6's, EQ, reverb, each channel has it own controls . Its the cheapest amp I own but it stacks up well against the others i have...one of best bangs fo the bucks out there imho.

15. kramerxxx

kramerxxx Member

OK, I'm on the other side of this question than where you are. I have a Mesa Dual Rec that I really like the sound of but I have in my head that the Soldano SLO would be the next amp I want to buy. My problem is that I doubt I will ever need the power of a 100watt amp, (*though I own 2 of them), and buying one is a $3000 purchase.

But anyway....

Without much help and a good pedal in front of the amp a Dual Rec, of which I own, will cover a lot of tonal landscape. It is my drummers favorite amp. I now bypass the loop and it sounds much more organic to me. Playing it like this negates the Solo function but it is worth it for the improvement in the tone of all three channels. I typically use a TC chorus and a Tim OD pedal with is, very good sound. I've had my modded by Trace Allen and he did a great job on it plus I did replace the stock preamp tubes with better ones.

I owned a Lonestar Classic combo. It rivals a Fender Twin Reverb for sound quality with more options. While I loved the clean channel, I never liked the gain channel - sold it.

I have owned 2 MKIIc+ combos and didn't think either was the end-all in guitar amplification. I could get a good clean or a good lead sound but never both, at the same time. Sold them, won't buy another.

I recently played a Stiletto Ace head and thought that it was one of the best sounding EL34 channel switching amps I have played lately. Very nice clean, harmonically rich for a mass production amp and fairly affordable.

I have also owned a Triaxis, a Studio 22, an SOB and a 2 channel Dual Rec and all of them had their strengths and weaknesses. Mesa makes a good product. I have come to accept that one amp for everything possible kind of music doesn't work for me so I have multiple amps. YMMV

16. III

III Member

A week or so ago... I'm new here and just a working class punk but I'm here to learn, so I keep an eye on the Amp Technical Info section, which is where I seen him post it. Memory hazy to exact thread details.

17. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

What about a Mark I? It's the fattest of the Marks, and cleans up great when you roll back.

18. JackButler

Great info, more!
    So the III series is more shred, for real?
    Volume is usually not an issue with me. I love my Soldano as it sits so well with this Hard Blues band, think Mule type stuff. But for some things I love the smoothness that it lacks. So my only feasible option (after tryiing tons of amps, from over the counter to the best boutiques) is to a/b and just stack tones as I go. I was doing that with my Two Rock and Rivera alongside the Soldano. When I want smooth or the fednerish cleans use the "B" amp, kick on the gain, back it off again use any OD, then swap over to the Soldano and build from there. Sound slike a lot of work, but really not that much and the tonal pallete is just amazing. Just need to find that "B" amp. Also thought about snagging a Ceriatone ODS to try.
    MORE MORE MORE!

19. TelecasterBlues

TelecasterBlues Member

you need a Heartbreaker or Maverick.

20. JackButler

Actually I think I almosty bought a Heartbreaker when I bought my Tremoverb in the early 90's. Again, so long I have no clue on what they sound like. Lots of gain is fun, but I really don't need it. I rarely use my Soldano's gain past 5, still pretty hot, but not nearly into that recto area. I do no want the scooped rectifier tones.