Should I Sell My 1954 Tele or Not?

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by 1954 Tele dude, May 21, 2019.

1. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

Keep. Don't need the money, it has your tone, why sell?

My favorite Tele I've ever owned, a '66 Trans Logo I sold when I "needed the money." Really I didn't, I could have pulled it off and kept the guitar but it would have been a minor stretch and I thought "...hey I can always get another one later..." Well, prices went through the roof and I've never found one to compare to that specific guitar; I've been chasing that tone for 20 years! ;)

And yes, then your name change issue; too much work man, keep the guitar!!

1954 Tele dude likes this.
  2. Laurent Brondel

Laurent Brondel Supporting Member

You gave yourself the answer you need, just enjoy the guitar.

3. PatriotBadger

PatriotBadger Member

That's only part of it. The market doesn't only shrink because things get more expensive - it shrinks because a faction of the interested party pool begins dying off, or finds other wants or necessities a better use of their money, or they simply don't have the expendable income anymore. Those folks are NOT replaced in the pool 1 to 1, not even close.

Same thing with cars. The graybeards driving around vintage muscle cars are experiencing the same phenomena right now. The late 60s and early 70s were when they were growing up caused romanticized experiences and memories with these cars. They don't want 40s cars and they don't want 80s cars. So when they are gone, there will be a much smaller pool of people wanting muscle cars.

I expect the same thing with guitars. Will values and desirability return to the levels of 12 years ago, for guitars or cars? Not a chance.

OP, If you don't need the money, I'd keep the guitar and play it like you stole it. If the value goes up and you can't resist the cash, sell it. If you, ummm....'cross over' before you can get your money back, then who cares really. You only go around once, and you possessed and enjoying something very special to you. That's a win.

Gasp100 and 1954 Tele dude like this.
  4. sws1

sws1 Member

If you chop off the part of the vintage guitar market graph where it spiked (mid 2000s) due to speculation, the line has been fairly steady. Mid-2000s was an anomaly, as was the overcorrection.

5. Tom Fontaine

Tom Fontaine Member

I’ll give you $100 for it. I’d play that thing 4 refrets deep then pass it on to someone else that would play the hell out of it. (Lowball thread, what’s up)

Seriously though, I’ll probably never be able to afford a guitar like that. If I could, I’d play it. That’s what it was made for. If you don’t play it, pass it on to someone who will.

Just my 2 cents

6. severinsteel

severinsteel Supporting Member

I was at my local guitar store yesterday, which just so happens to be Carter Vintage in Nashville, TN. I played a lot of incredibly expensive guitars, including some 50's Teles. I thought most felt pretty average, granted, I'm not into tiny frets. Point being, if you love the guitar, keep it. If you don't play it, sell it. In the end, it's just a guitar. If you could use the money for something else you'd love more, that's a bonus. I don't know how much of a loss you are taking, so unless you are losing you a$$ on it, I don't see the harm in selling it.

I should also point out, I don't really see the magic in vintage guitars. I do in vintage amps, but prefer modern guitars for their specs, if that makes sense. The playability of modern guitars just fits me.

7. MrKite89

MrKite89 Member

IMHO, a '54 Tele will raise and raise in value over time, with some fluctuation in the short term...if you have sons and don't need money right now, leave it to them!

8. alex mansman

alex mansman Member

I mean, I'll throw ya a $20 :D

MoarGear likes this.
  9. Presto

Presto Member

Another factor worth mentioning from personal experience - is that getting 'into' the vintage market since prices have been high and pretty flat is not easy. These things are expensive by most people's standards. I've been playing for 25 years, but only properly went down the vintage hole about 8 years ago. All the guitars I've bought then sold in that time have been for a loss. So if you're trying to build up to a golden era Fender purchase or similar, you gotta REALLY want it.

I got there recently, but it was pretty painful and definitely wasn't because I pooled money from my other gear raising in value. It basically required me to have a work life balance than means I don't get much time to play guitar anyways haha. It was also a fairly lonely journey as most of my guitar playing mates don't understand. I'm in my thirties too, so no millennial here. Most people I know either aren't interested, or if they are - they would never go there due to the price.

These are incredible guitars (most anyways), but there is still quite a few around....so I'm not expecting there to be enough buyers for all of them to just keep going up and up and up....would be nice if it did though!

10. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

Darn it.

I was going to offer $19.54

11. skintknuckle

skintknuckle Supporting Member

Based on your OP, I would hang onto it. Congratulations on getting to play that piece of history. I have had the opp to play a few Blackguards and Whiteguards.....some of them are truly magical.

12. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

Or daughters.

1954 Tele dude, skintknuckle and sws1 like this.
  13. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

This might be an unpopular opinion, but no. It will never be worth what you paid for it obviously, since you bought at the all-time peak of the market (many of us bought things then, too).

For me, as long as you're still playing then you can enjoy it. You can take a bath on the guitar now or later when you're done playing it, or maybe even give it to a child, relative, a good friend, someone with whom the guitar will do some good, anything...

I know you don't need the money now, but there's nothing to say you won't need it down the road.

The smart thing to do is just keep it and enjoy it until circumstances change, I think.

14. Stratman Dan

Stratman Dan Member

Since you do not need the money , you should sell now since you can wait for a good price.

Because down the road when you NEED the money you will really take a bath because you wont have the time to wait it out.

My guess is if you sold now you may be $5k down right?

I will trade you my daughter to do with what you want for that guitar.

Human life is worth waaaaay more than a " thing"

15. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

Such a curious pair of sentences.

67blackcherry and sws1 like this.
  16. MrKite89

MrKite89 Member

Sorry, I'm not a native English speaker: in Italian is totally correct to use a "generic mascouline noun", is it different in English?

Example: one boy and three girls, in Italian is correct to say "Hi boys", and no one gets offended...

I'm trying to learn, but I don't understand if in English it's gramatically or politically incorrect...thanks! :)

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    smiert spionam likes this.
  17. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

The price you paid for it is completely irrelevant -- it's a sunk cost, so it doesn't matter whether it was $100,000 or $10. Sell if you're tired of it, or if you'd prefer to have its value in something more liquid and/or a more predictable investment. Otherwise, it's kinda sorta nice to have.

Mad-kiwi and 1954 Tele dude like this.
  18. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

Interesting -- thanks! "Sons" is strictly masculine, and wouldn't include daughters, so it sounded like you were making the assumption that guitars would naturally go to male children. It caught my ear, because guitar culture is often still very sexist.

In the US, "guys" is sometimes used to refer to groups that include both men and women, though only very informally. Some people don't like that usage, but it's increasingly common.

MrKite89 likes this.
  19. MrKite89

MrKite89 Member

Thanks for the explanation, so is it better to say "kids", or "children", although they're adults? Good to know for the future... :)

20. csweldon

csweldon Supporting Member

That guy knows how to live! Few things in this world feed the soul like playing music, why stop if you can still go?