Should I sell my 1992 SRV Strat for an SG?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Cropduster, May 3, 2015.

1. Cropduster

Cropduster Member

What a dilemma. I used to own another 92 SRV which had the Brazilian Rosewood neck. Stupidly sold it a few years later. Bought another one but it had the usual Pao Ferro neck.
    I don't think it sounds as good and this has bugged me for years. I'll admit this could all be in my head but there you go.
    Am I being a typical guitarist who only sees the grass being greener on sold gear or is this for real?
    I'd like to find an older SG with Brazialian Rosewood for its neck but it will be costly.
    Should I hold or sell?

2. Flugel

Flugel Member

I don't like SGs so...

3. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

tone is in the fretboard

4. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

I love SGs so I vote yes. Unless you really, REALLY like the left-handed vibrato on a righty body thing.

5. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

If the SRV strat doesn't have a brazilian fretboard, it's not worth a whole lot more than any other SRV strat. I would rather have an SG.

6. gulliver

gulliver Member

Really ... going from strat to SG is a huge jump, the fretboard is just a very small factor. You have to decide what ball park of tone you want to be in, not what neck wood works best for you.

7. o0Ampy0o

o0Ampy0o Member

I think that comment was intended as a joke because people get all riled up here over such concepts.

8. o0Ampy0o

o0Ampy0o Member

You will regret whichever choice you make. You already regret losing the SRV with the other wood. You are probably not the type of person to make decisions free of emotion so there are overlaying feelings before and after. You do not like the SRV you have because it doesn't sound as good as the other. Does it still sound good though?

You are GASSing for an SG. Have you played them? Do you have more interest in that tone? Regardless of wood the whole guitar is an apple compared to the orange Strat for a list of substantial reasons.

Could you swing both and decide later?

I say get the SG and put the whole Stevie Ray thing behind you. The current SRV seems to remind you of a bad decision anyway and you would not be considering trading this one for anything if it did not make you unhappy. Do what it takes to get the SG. If you end up not liking that find another guitar.

Good luck!

9. David Garner

David Garner Member

First, I seriously doubt the fretboard is contributing that much to the tone. I'd change the pickup height before I'd worry about that. Second, if you really want an SG, they aren't all that expensive. I'd save up and get a used Standard. If you decide later you really love the SG and can't get along with the SRV, sell both and get a '62 RI or something. Or 2 SGs. If you don't like the SG, flip it and be done. But I'd be worried about regretting the SRV sale down the road. You've already done that once.

I bought a 1993 Les Paul intending to sell my PRS DGT later. Through the good graces of a very good friend, I was able to keep both, but I did buy the Les Paul and keep it for a few months to determine which I would ultimately hang on to. I wouldn't have sold the DGT and just bought a Les Paul out of the blue. Mine's a 1st year run, and it's a really sweet one. As much as I really don't play it a lot and shouldn't really justify having it laying around, I just can't bring myself to sell it. I would have if I couldn't have kept both -- the Les Paul is now my number 1 guitar. But I'd have hated every second of it.

10. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

One thing to consider is that as SG and a Strat hang on a strap very differently. The Strat's strap button is near the 12th fret because of the long horn. That pulls the end of the fingerboard way in over your navel. An SG practically has the strap button behind the end of the neck so the entire neck is to the left of your body. I find that position more comfortable than the Strat, but it's all a matter of preference.

11. straycat113

straycat113 Member

I find the whole thing a bit bizarre? You get rid of your first 92 SRV with the Brazilian fretboard and get one with a Pao Ferro board. Did you buy the first one new and then go straight into the second one on the used market. If that is the case I don't get why you would want to off a model you have been playing for 20 years? Unless you owned the first one a year or two and picked up the second a couple of years ago.I don't know what the thing is for a Brazilian board as it's effect on tone is minimal on an electric guitar. Are you familiar with SG's? Personally I never liked them or the way they felt and played, though they have a great tone to them. My advice is the same as yours- Don't think the grass is greener unless your sure.

12. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Short answer.No.

13. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Threads like this puzzle me. It's a personal decision. How should we know which works for you? Do what you want.

14. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

This, unless you're typically a Strat player and don't have another. There are way more differences between the SG and Strat besides the fingerboard.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  15. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I personally don't see what the big deal is about Brazilian Rosewood.....that said, going from an SRV Strat to an SG is more of a jump than the type of fingerboard wood would be. Why not trade "up" to a Brazilian Rosewood SRV Strat if you're so set on having a guitar with Brazilian Rosewood? IMO maple fingerboards sound better anyway fwiw....

16. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

If the two guitars sound different, it's because of a lot of factors (density of wood, thickness of finish, pickups, adjustments...) not just the wood. You could learn how to adjust your guitar and fiddle with it to see if you could get the tone you want. You could replace the neck with a rosewood board neck. You could replace pickups.

Or you could decide you want a completely different sound and go for an SG BUT the brazilian rosewood board on a 60s SG is the LEAST of the differences in sound between that and a modern, Indian rosewood board!

17. Cropduster

Cropduster Member

I've thought about getting a rosewood neck and changing out the pups. Why do you say the neck wood is the LEAST of the differences on an SG?

18. Cropduster

Cropduster Member

BTW: I own a Dave Gilmour strat, a 1987 '57 reissue strat, '83 American Standard Tele, 30th Anniversary gold Top Les Paul, 1980 ES-335, Charvel with lace sensors, Flying V, Explorer, blah blah. But no SG - and they are a funny guitar to me. Most sound like crap but if you have a good one then its heaven.