Should I sell my Blackstar Artisan 15?

magneticfield

I have received a very good offer (1000$) for my Blackstar Artisan 15. It's my only amp (actually my very first amp, I bought it when I started playing guitar in 2010). I like the sound but I never use amp overdrive (only clean + dirt boxes) which is the flagship of the artisan. Maybe I should be looking for other options.

Should I sell it? What do you think of the artisan 15?

indyrunner03

Seems like the question should be an internal one: Are you happy with the amp? If the answer is "yes" then there's really no need to sell it; especially if you like the cleans you get from it. However, if the answer is "no" then you might want to consider looking at other amp options.

If you're happy with your tone with the Artisan 15 then stay put because you could go on an expensive amp journey just to end back with another Artisan 15 if it provides you the clean tone you want.

magneticfield

Yes, it's a wise suggestion. The problem is this is the only amp I have ever owned and I don't know if I would like others more (eg. fender, vox, selmer). I can't even choose properly at the local store because they want you to try the amps at unreasonable low volume (which means I can barely hear the difference between them).

kyoungsteadt

You will be fine with any tube amp set clean in the 15 - 30 watt range. Most of your tone is coming from your pedals. Changing your pedals will make a bigger difference if you want a different sound. Also speaker choice will make a difference in your sound as well.

You might consider that you could probably find a clean pedal platform style tube amp that sounds just as good for much less than 1k.

beatnik

The things about the artisan 15 are that it is hand wired and has the EF86 tube. The hand wired bit means it will be reasonably easy to repair should something take a header. And I am not certain you could get into another EF86 amp for under a grand (ymmv).

I have the 15 and despite its sometimes finiky ways I keep her around for those very reasons. I like the EF86 channel and I am confident in the hand wiring.

But if you are eager for a different flavor follow your muse and sell that puppy!

magneticfield

The things about the artisan 15 are that it is hand wired and has the EF86 tube. The hand wired bit means it will be reasonably easy to repair should something take a header. And I am not certain you could get into another EF86 amp for under a grand (ymmv).

I have the 15 and despite its sometimes finiky ways I keep her around for those very reasons. I like the EF86 channel and I am confident in the hand wiring.

But if you are eager for a different flavor follow your muse and sell that puppy!
I like the sound of the second channel but I have never been able to get a proper clean sound (even with the volume at 9 o clock, in the low input), so I mainly use the low input of the first channel.

You will be fine with any tube amp set clean in the 15 - 30 watt range. Most of your tone is coming from your pedals. Changing your pedals will make a bigger difference if you want a different sound. Also speaker choice will make a difference in your sound as well.
Speaking of tone, the bands I like the most all use Fender Twins and Vox AC30s (and I have a personal fetish for vintage Selmers and Wem Dominators). Do you think these 4 amps are all comparable? I think I have to make a decision between these brands, if I decide to sell.

Krausewitz

I had an Artisan 15 and sold it. Too loud for home, and too quiet for even rehearsal (why a clean player like myself went for that amp I still don't really know). I also found it bass-shy (EL84s...) and missed full EQ controls.

None of that means you should get rid of yours, of course.

magneticfield

One of my choices would be a handwired AC30 reissue (with EF86). Do you think it's a waste of money to keep it always clean ad get the dirt from my boxes?

Sorry for all these dumb questions. I know.

spaceman_spiff

Gold Supporting Member
One of my choices would be a handwired AC30 reissue (with EF86). Do you think it's a waste of money to keep it always clean ad get the dirt from my boxes?

Sorry for all these dumb questions. I know.
The AC30H2 (that's the EF86 version) won't help you too much in the amp overdrive department, as it is likely louder than the Blackstar A15 and like the A15 doesn't have a master volume.

Do you have the ability to try amps from a bunch of other manufacturers? You might dig amps with good master volumes and preamp distortion, like a Mesa Boogie.

spaceman_spiff

Gold Supporting Member
AFWIW, getting $1K for a used Artisan 15 is a good amount of money. The Artisans have a miserable resale value. There's a guy on LA's CL that has had an A15 for $900 for a few months now.

Boundcustom

Gold Supporting Member
AFWIW, getting $1K for a used Artisan 15 is a good amount of money. The Artisans have a miserable resale value. There's a guy on LA's CL that has had an A15 for $900 for a few months now.
Ditto on that one. Amazing amps with no resale. I took one apart a while ago to fix a jack that a guy broke. I was amazed at the internal work. If you don't have to sell it don't but, that is a great offer.

magneticfield

The AC30H2 (that's the EF86 version) won't help you too much in the amp overdrive department, as it is likely louder than the Blackstar A15 and like the A15 doesn't have a master volume.

Do you have the ability to try amps from a bunch of other manufacturers? You might dig amps with good master volumes and preamp distortion, like a Mesa Boogie.
Unfortunately I live far from civilization (ah!) and the only guitar store is that useless one I said before. I have a friend who is selling an old Music Man amp, I will try that one at the moment.

IM4Tone

Yes, it's a wise suggestion. The problem is this is the only amp I have ever owned and I don't know if I would like others more (eg. fender, vox, selmer). I can't even choose properly at the local store because they want you to try the amps at unreasonable low volume (which means I can barely hear the difference between them).
BETTER is the enemy of GOOD! (Do as I say, not as I do!:D)

greeny

It's easy to think that the grass is greener and you are missing out on something.

This is a very good amp so unless there are specific reasons to look elsewhere I would only swap if I played something that I liked better. You may end up trying a few amps spending ££££ and 2 years later wishing you still had the artisan.

All that said the offer is good so you could likely pick up another for that money.

Last edited:

magneticfield

I'll give myself a week to decide, keeping that in mind.

(Open question: which amp would you choose between the ones I listed before? Vox AC30, Fender Twin, 70s Wem Dominator 50 watt, 70s Music Man)

hacinador

The Artisan is very well built - great components, superb transformers, very good wiring job.

...but, I found it little uninspiring to play. I had one for about half a year and then sold it to someone who liked a handwired idea and hype and did not care about sound too much.

You might like a Vox amp better. For me an AC15 and AC30 have much more character and are kind of similar. But be prepared for enourmous increise of loudness when going with Blues equipt AC30. If you put 3 of your Greenback equipt Artisans 15 against one AC30, the loudness would be propably similar.

I would go with AC15HW1. It has a master volume, great built quality, great sound. Do not listen to those who will tell you that it is a sh... Vietnamese amp. I had several butiques and most of them were very well built, but absolutely boring. AC15HW1 is SUPERB amp. Latter you can put some Blue in and it will be fabulous!

Trending Topics