Should I sell my DSL50? What's it worth?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mds, Feb 21, 2008.

1. mds

mds Member

Hey guys.

I've had a DSL50 for awhile now and don't use it too much. I like the classic channel a lot, but its often more than I need. I tend to use my Maz SR more than anything else, somewhat due to the tone, somewhat do to the size and light weight....anyone want to make a compelling argument for keeping an amp I basically like, but have never dragged to a gig?

Also, what are these worth these days? They're like $1300 new...

Thanks!

Mike

2. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

If you're on the fence, keep it, imo. I would save some change and get it modded by Voodoo Amps.

I got mine deluxe modded by Voodoo two years ago and was very pleased with the change. However, up until two weeks ago, I was biasing the amp all wrong in the sense that I had it at 32 mv per tube. It was harsh at higher volumes and just too much.

THEN I biased it up to 88 per side (44 mv per tube) and HOLY FREEKIN' JEEBUS! I FINALLY got what I was expecting from the Voodoo deluxe mod. The DSL was so organic and had so much soul and feel than it had before.

I could not believe I what a difference the bias adjustment made. For two ****ing years I was bypassing this amps full potential by biasing the power tubes wrong. I use JJ E34L's in the power by the way, and depending on your plate voltage and such, most tube gurus recommend biasing JJ E34L's around 32-38mv per tube. Well, that may work in some amps, but it killed the tone in mine for some reason. I biased it at 32 mv per tube (64 per side), but mine's a 100 watt, not a 50.

My buddy, who also has a DSL and a Bogner Uberschall, biased it up to 88 per side for me and we put it on top of my Port City Wave OS 2x12 and were blown away at how amazing this amp sounded. We had a Plexi sound easily, AC/DC perfect, SRV ripping in there...What surprised us the most were the next two things...1) This had a dead on JCM 800 tone to it and then some...He had one for years and I've played through several, and we could not believe it...Then 2) The amp's Red channel had the most versatile, meanest, sickest, most articulate gain sound, we could not believe our ears. He liked the metal sound BETTER than his UBER...We had so close to early VH, but also had early DiMartini and Lynch, but on top of that it was just brutal heaven. You could get so many different tones just by tweaking here and there...It was actually frustrating b/c we ended up spending a lot of time with it discovering new sounds and trying to nail the tones of our favorite Marshall's.

I cannot say enough about the DSL and what the Voodoo mod can do for it. At the lowest volumes, the amp was killer, so even if you don't need 50 or 100 watts, you'll still get a convincing "opend up" feel at lower volumes, but not exact of course...Nature of tube amps.

I too did not like the Red channel, but after the mod, it became such a different amp.

I would give it a second thought on selling and consider Voodoo Amps. I've heard some FJA clips of a modded DSL on H-C and they sounded really good too...But I chose Voodoo and I can't put into words how pleased I am. It cost me, but I don't have a lot of cheese, but it was worth every ****ing penny.

Good luck!

3. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

The real question here is: how much did the mod cost??

4. Strat God

Strat God Member

Marshalls are the best in my book!;)

5. mds

mds Member

To qualify my situation a bit, I got the amp for a steal, so money isn't a big issue, other than I could use the cash to finance other endeavors...

I do like the amp, but I seriously haven't used it ever on a gig(and I play and/or record for a living) and never fire it up at the studio...not really sure why I don't use it, other than the fact that I don't feel like carrying it around. The Classic channel is very nice...for reference, I also have a Mesa DC-5, Maz Sr, and Fender Bjr. All three of those get used for various gigs...I guess when I need marshall tones I find I get them well enough with the Z and some OD pedals (BB, Crunch Box, FDII, etc.)....It's not quite the same sound, of course, but there are several ways to skin a cat...

6. littlejohn

littlejohn Member

7. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

I bought a like-new dsl50 for 450 off CL..Bought a merc mag OT from weber for 112.00 and that thing is a freakin Flame-thrower now...It absolutely nails the sound of my 2204 if i dial it in that way..I really love the jcm2000's...well the dsl's anyway.