• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Should I sell my Univalve?

ninjaaron

It rules for what it is, but I'm using more pedals for dirt now, and it doesn't play so well with them.

Whaddya think?

mike barth

If you like it all and it sounds like you do .... keep it, if nothing else as a tube tester.
I miss my Uni,for the ultra sweet cleans, strangely enough. Traded it for a Bivalve and 200 bucks. But i miss all the amps i sold. I think the Uni, however, will be well regarded and considered very cool, down the road. It is a jewel of an amp. Someday not too far away, we'll be staring at the innards, oohing ahhhing over this fine example of how they did it back in the old 2000s

ninjaaron

Yeah, I like the cleans too. But I like Fuzz OD and Dist pedals more.

And Univalve doesn't like them :cry:

sharpshooter

No, don't sell it, you could never get anything to replace it, for what you'd sell it for. You can buy and have as many amps as you can afford, but a Univalve is a real gem in its uniqueness on the amp scene. It seems as though we have this "amp of the day/week/month" thing going on all the time. The last time I looked at the amp index at HC reveiws, their were at least a bazillion amp companys out there. In this economy, perhaps many will be gone within a year or so. The post by Mike Barth is right, in a while, the Uni/Bivalve's will be seen as the real sleepers of good tone, they have a "sonic integrity", that stands apart from most of the other amps, many of which are just variations on the same old Fender/Marshall theme, with catchy names.
Get whatever you think you need, hang on to the Uni, in time you will be glad you did.

Last edited:

trower

[geer/peyj] hubris confusion paralysis by analysis
Gold Supporting Member
I'd have never found my perfect amp if I hadn't tested the waters. If your in a financial position to try other amps, don't hesitate! There are way too many wonderful amps out there...

iMatt

Been through this before and going through it again. In fact woke up this morning thinking this was the time to sever the tie and sell it on.

About 18m ago I took it to a local store to commison sell it for me. Agonised over a week then went back and rescued it (had to get myself a new THD 2x12 though because that had sold). Set it up differently this time - with the line out going into a Samson solid state power amp, via a TC electronics rack unit, and then into the 2x12. Did this so that I could play quietly without using the attenuator (although the power amp is more powerful than the Uni I could turn it right down) and also to add reverb delay to the overdriven Uni. Was so glad I didn't sell the Univalve.

Going through the same question again now as I hunt for a low watt combo for home use with a good clean sound to take pedals. I have managed to convince myself I don't like the clean sound on the Uni (a bit clinical or sterile) , and even that I prefer the clean sounds I can get from a Tiny Terror and Blues Junior (which doesn't seem likely I know). But, I know I will regret it if I do so I am just going to put it away knowing I will glad I did (and one day hope to have the space to leave a few amps out together).

Incidentally, when looking for excuses/justification to mover the Uni over in favour of somthig elseI did note it hums much louder than the TT for instance. That is a little irritating and I 'm not sure why - transformer perhaps? Just curious whether you have ever noticed

What company ?
I was thinking about doing that to my Bivalve for the last few weeks ....
PM me if you do not want to put it here.

ninjaaron

What company ?
I was thinking about doing that to my Bivalve for the last few weeks ....
PM me if you do not want to put it here.
The Company is THD. The empolyee shall remain anoymous. They told me they were not allowed to tell me how to mod my amp, but there was no harm in posting the above link, right?

iMatt

Intrigued by this. I am not one to normally consider such modifications - partly because I don't have the skills to do it myself, partly because it may affect re-sale value, and partly because if its decent gear I kind of assume the builder knows more than anyone else how to make the thing right.

That said, I have always found the Univalve had far more treble than I need (I have hardly ever had the control much past 9 o'clock) and yet I often find it light on bass for my tastes (frequently having the bass control at max) - and I run it through a THD 2x12.

Curious to know why the employee at THD feels the need to remain anonymous. I know there are other respected builders who will happily suggest re-voicing modifications to owners whose tastes differ a little from their own. I guess what I am saying is that it would be nice to have the official THD seal of endorsement on this mod (would address two of my concerns above - wouldn't do much for my technical skills though).

Also, does anyone know whether THD has ever tweaked the circuit itself - ie are newer Univalves built the same as older ones or have there been changes in response to user experience?

Crikey

I wonder what a modded UniValve would sound like? I agree with the above posters and the mod-page author that the UniValve's stock tone is thin and tends toward harshness at low volumes. As explained on the mod page, these mods would probably help.

Crikey

DC1

I think the clean tone is terrific, but would love to hear what these mods sound like.

dc

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Gold Supporting Member
I've got it sorted now. I emailed 'someone' at the company, and they quitely pointed me to this link: http://sites.google.com/site/stringsandfrets/Home/univalve-mod

That's right folks, Just swap a couple of caps, take one out altogether, and you'll have the Uni purring like a kitten in no time. This is even easier than modding my DS1.
All of the negatives cited in the article were issues I had with the amp that led me to sell it shortly after buying one a couple of years back. Had I had access to the article then, I might still own the amp today. Nice find, ninja.

ninjaaron

Curious to know why the employee at THD feels the need to remain anonymous. I know there are other respected builders who will happily suggest re-voicing modifications to owners whose tastes differ a little from their own. I guess what I am saying is that it would be nice to have the official THD seal of endorsement on this mod (would address two of my concerns above - wouldn't do much for my technical skills though).
The employee didn't ask to remain anonymous, they just told me that they were not allowed to tell me how to mod my amp. I just figured they would apprieciate me not shouting it over the internet. They probably don't even completely approve of me talking about it on here. I don't know. I just figure that this is a common user complaint about the Uni, and there are others who would be interested as well.

I don't know why he's not allowed to tell me how to mod the amp. Probably has something to do with warrenty stuff. I dunno. I got it used, so I don't have a warrenty anyway. It would be nice if the company would offer some alternative voicing options, but they apparently like the way it sounds just fine.

I well take a guess. People screw up. They do not want to clean up the mess. You take it upon yourself to do it. THD is great about helping people with there products. If they give you the go ahead ... they well feel responsible. I have seen the mod here before so do not feel bad about posting it. You can screw up more than the amp (like yourself) if you make some mistakes.

iMatt

All makes sense.

If anyone does go through with this mod it would be good to hear how you get on. Maybe before and after comparitive recordings would be possible for some.

Also (and this is where my lack of technical knowledge will show), from what you can tell, do you think this mod isentirely reversible - assuming it is done properly and both you and the amp survived the experience?

Last edited:

Trending Topics