Should I sell this guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by omfg51, May 26, 2015.

1. omfg51

omfg51 Member

Right now, I'm contemplating selling my #1 axe to fund a new one. I've been playing the same Fender Am Std telecaster for a good while now, and it's been such a great guitar for me. It was my first real Fender, first real Tele, but I think I may be itching for something else now.

I'm a rhythm player and vocalist, so in recent years, I've gravitated toward hardtail guitars with a focus on rhythm playing, and cleaner, more complex tones. I feel that the telecaster was the perfect first step in that direction, and has become somewhat of a foundation for my playing and writing to evolve upon.

I recently spotted a used '62 RI Hot Rod Strat in Sherwood Green, and it's an absolute steal of a deal, which is causing me to have this conundrum. In the past, I've owned strats, and had previously though I wasn't a strat guy. Truth be told, my strats were just kind of "meh" guitars, both partscasters.

I've recently been playing around on a current Am Std strat at work, and it feels totally fine, really great sounding, and both super easy and fun to play. I feel that I got the wrong impression of strats overall because I owned a couple that were both less than stellar examples.

I've owned a '64 RI telecaster, and I can honestly say that anything from the AVRI line is quality, and at least worth checking out. That guitar wasn't my thing in the end, but conceptually, it was spot on what I had been looking for, and the quality was superb.

I really want to give this strat a try, I know I'll prefer the nitro finish, and I love the color, Sherwood green is so gorgeous, and I feel like I don't see it around that often, so the hipster in me is burning to have it.

I could probably swing the deal without selling my telecaster, but I'm tempted to try anyway, just to seal the deal for myself, and really force myself to invest in familiarizing myself with a new(ish) kind of instrument.

What do you guys think? I already know I'm overthinking it.

2. elicious

elicious Member

If you can buy the strat without selling the tele then give it a try! They're two totally different beasts imho

3. deejaid

deejaid Supporting Member

If you can afford the Strat without selling your number 1 Tele, go for it. After you get the new Strat and you realize it is everything you want and is perfect for you, you can recoup some money by selling the Tele.

If you sell your Tele first, and end up not bonding with the Strat, well, you'll be regretting it.

4. Crossroads

Crossroads Member

Don't sell your first "real Fender."

darkinners and guitarnut_1 like this.
  5. Skeet skeet!

Skeet skeet! Member

Selling your guitar might be the right decision now, but you still may regret selling it even if you bond with the new guitar.

guitarnut_1 likes this.
  6. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

To me this says it all. No way I would sell my #1. As others have said, owning both a Strat and a Tele is nice. Love mine and feel I have 2 #1's.

Turi likes this.
  7. newsonghawaii

newsonghawaii Member

I can say this: The '62 Hot Rod Strat that I have has one of the fattest necks I've ever had on a Strat and I LOVE it. It might be a deal breaker for some. Make sure you love the neck.

8. garage-s

garage-s Member

Buy the Strat of course, how can you say no to a Sherwood Green Strat?

Keep the Tele of course, because as a singer/song writer, you need a open G tuning guitar to write new songs, the Tele is perfect for that, ask Keith:cool:

9. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

My first good guitar and first real Fender was a black USA Std. Telecaster. After playing it for like 15 years or so, I foolishly sold it. What a dumb decision. I don't play teles anymore and I am NOT a tele fan at all, but this guitar had tons of sentimental value! I regret selling it big time!

10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

Don't sell the guitar you do like to get one you might like.

Turi likes this.
  11. slider

slider Member

Different players have different feelings about their guitars. Some have a strictly utilitarian approach, the guitar is like a shovel to them, no attachment. They sell the old and buy the new over and over. Myself, I still have a Tele I bought when I was 18, I don't ever like to get rid of them. The few I've sold, I regret selling.
    You need different flavors of guitar, too, so I say keep it if you can.

12. bdam123

bdam123 Member

I would vote to not sell it considering all the things it represents to you.

I would rather go out and bust my ass and save up a couple grand to fund a new guitar then get rid of something I actually liked.

Now if you hated the thing, that would be a different story but you don't.

We've seen it time and time again. Someone regretting they ever sold that piece of gear that they really loved.

13. Flugel

Flugel Member

14. xzacx

xzacx Member

One thing I've learned over the years is that when you have a good one, keep it (unless you need the money for things more essential than a different guitar). I've let go of a couple things because I saw something else I wanted on a whim, and selling something was the easiest way to fund it. It's backfired more than once.

If you have the luxury of being able to swing both, live with both of them for a while, and if you need to move on from one, at least you'll be able to have your pick.

15. winterblu

winterblu Supporting Member

If finances allow I'd buy the strat and play it awhile, if it turns out to be your #1 then sell the tele if you have the urge to do so. If the strat doesn't turn out to be everything
    you're looking for then re-sell the strat, provided you buy it right you'll get your investment back and possibly make a few bucks.

16. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

As someone else said, don't trade a guitar you love for another guitar you might like. I'd try the Strat first, make sure you can hang with it. If you can afford both, I'd suggest going that route.

17. monty

monty Member

Keep the Tele, you know you will want one later down the road anyway.

18. Medgeking

Medgeking Member

Don't sell the telecaster.

19. Lone Bear

Lone Bear Member

20. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Don't do anything till you compare and see the relativity of what you have. Is your currrent #1 Light and resonant? How much does it weigh. How much does the new guitar weigh? Have you tried Nash's or K-lines? ARe you stuck on the Fender name or can you go with a lessor name whose product is identical to Fender style?

omfg51 likes this.