Should I take chance on Ampeg VT40

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bunky, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Bunky

Bunky Member

1) I'm looking at an ampeg vt40. I can get it for $300 unloaded, but it will need servicing. I'm thinking it's early 70's as it is toploaded. I' not sure what kind of work it needs, it already has a master volume mod done. I've played it once a year or so ago and the amp sounded good except a speaker sounded a little buzzy. It also had handles added to it, where it's a beast to carry.

2) Is it hard to get GOOD parts for this? Ive heard they are rare, and even then you have to find good parts.

3) What kinds of speakers could I get that aren't to expensive?

I'm really not sure if these amps are money pits. Thanks guys.

2. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

You can get one that is ready to go for around 700. 200-400 for speakers, 100-200 for a tune-up and tubes the 300$ amp my not be such a good deal. Parts are available from Fliptops. These amps are very reliable if they are well maintained.

3. Bunky

Bunky Member

Don't see them pop up much around my area at all. THanks for the fliptops heads up though.

4. Bunky

Bunky Member

I've decided to get the amp.

Currently it has two Weber Ferromax 10F150 speakers. Anyone know what ohms those are? If I was to get two other speakers (affordable with good low end) to make it 4 speakers in total, what would you guys reccomend?

5. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

Congrats on the amp! If they are webers and you want to stick within the family you could get two more 10F150's or Chicago 10's, DT or Legacy 10's.

the ohm information is listed on the weber site. http://www.tedweber.com/

That said you may want to write them and ask. I think they come in a variety of ohm ratings.

6. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Cool amps. Not easy to work on, at all. Personally, I'd spend more on one that didn't require all the updating and hadn't been modified. You know it has a jack that enables you to plug in what is pretty much a "master volume" control and I think fliptops.net sells a reproduction of that master knob. I, however, don't think a master really works well on this amp. You need to open it up a bit.

7. Bunky

Bunky Member

Hey, my tech said he did'nt like fliptops stuff so he is ordering parts somewhere else. The amp has the master volume mod (removed) already done, so i'm going to keep it without a master volume.

I come from a small market so this stuff doesnt really pop up. I can't imagine shipping costs for one of these!

pac: thanks for the info

8. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

Good luck with the amp! Not only is shipping expensive, there is a good chance it will get damaged, more of a concern with irreplaceable vintage gear. Electronic parts are widely available, but Fliptops has some stuff you can't get anywhere else.

9. Bunky

Bunky Member

This one is local. I trust this tech, he works with a big name act, so he must know what he is doing.

10. AL30

AL30 Member

Eminence has some good speaker offerings that may work. The Rgain Cajun and Ramrod are both good sounding speakers to my ears. I haven't heard them in a VT40 though. That's a great amp you just got by the way.

AL

11. JakeELee

JakeELee Member

Congrats. Hope you get yours fixed up nice. Mine will not be leaving me...ever.

12. Bunky

Bunky Member

I decided to get buy it unloaded for $200!

Can anyone reccomend four speakers? I"m kinda clueless about ohms. Something that can handle the low end, or possibly being cranked., and won't take long to break in. :)

13. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

8 ohm speakers, wired series / parallel as I recall (for a total load of 8 ohms).

One thing to be concerned with (at least for me) was weight. That VT-40 is a heavy little @#$%&!! Try loading it with Ragin Cajuns (or worse, the WGS G10Cs) and dragging it up a flight or two of stairs :omg

I don't like them in many amps, but I really liked the Jensen reissue C10Qs in my old VT-40 once they were broken in. Can provide clips if need be.

I love old Jensen C10Qs even more but I'd be a little worried about blowing them in a VT-40.

14. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

Oh man,,,200$ unloaded,,where am I when something like that comes along. I always wanted to get a top-loader VT40, and reduce/cut-down the cab height, and put-in just one 15in. speaker.
    Anyway,,I'am sure you will enjoy that amp. There are lots of real good tones to be had.

15. Bunky

Bunky Member

Yeah I can't wait for the amp to be ready to go.

I'll definitely need speakers that won't blow, cause when the wife and kids are out of the house, guess what i'm going to do?!