• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Should I take HOG plundge?

Swansons

I'm new to this forum so I hope to be accepted and hope to become a regular! I wanted my first post to be your opinions on investing 500+ dollars on a Electron Harmonix HOG with the additional preset extension pedal. I'm looking to get an octave pedal and love the amount of control I can have with the HOG, I will put an expression pedal to it too. So can I have your pros and cons on this and maybe alternatives. Thank you!

topo morto

I'm new to this forum so I hope to be accepted and hope to become a regular!
Welcome! But don't become like the other people on here, they are awful characters.

I wanted my first post to be your opinions on investing 500+ dollars on a Electron Harmonix HOG with the additional preset extension pedal. I'm looking to get an octave pedal and love the amount of control I can have with the HOG, I will put an expression pedal to it too. So can I have your pros and cons on this and maybe alternatives. Thank you!
Pros: it's cool
Cons: it's old. There's bound to be something better and cheaper along soon.

I have been debating the same thing lately, there are some really good videos comparing the HOG and the Pitchfactor on interweb that you may find helpful.
I stayed up all night watching them over and over again, and I'm still stuck.
The only Eventide Factor pedal I have owned was the Space, which was gnarly, but more than I could use at the time, so I sold it. Considered purchasing again, but a lot of it's functions can be accomplished via other pedals, the TimeLine specifically...sorry off topic.
I have owned the EHX 2880 which is built in the same enclosure as the HOG with a similar optional footswitch. Both pedals are very versatile, but really need the optional footswitch to achieve true functionality.
I have also heard, and this is really only what I have heard, that the HOG is rather light and seems to be a little delicate.
I prefer the interface of the HOG over that of the pitchfactor.
I am very interested to hear what HOG owners have to say about it, I would not be surprised to hear that once you own it, you love it. Don't see them come for sale frequently, but not infrequently either.

ZepFuzz05

I'm new to this forum so I hope to be accepted and hope to become a regular! I wanted my first post to be your opinions on investing 500+ dollars on a Electron Harmonix HOG with the additional preset extension pedal. I'm looking to get an octave pedal and love the amount of control I can have with the HOG, I will put an expression pedal to it too. So can I have your pros and cons on this and maybe alternatives. Thank you!
It's a fascinating and incredible pedal, but if you're simply looking for an octave pedal, I'd go with something like the new Whammy V. It's going to be simpler, less expensive, and, generally, will have better tracking and tone.

Octaves are the least that the HOG can do. It's a complex and expansive pedal that's almost like its own instrument. It can freeze and bend sound, create bow/synth like effects with the attack and decay controls, create organ like textures with the drawbar controls, wah/resonant filter tones, and more. It's immense, and if simply you want a versatile octave pedal, it may be total overkill.

Also, as a side note, you can find used HOGs for around $300, and some including the preset pedals for around $400. I'd do that before spending nearly $600 on a new one.

Swansons

Have you considered a POG2? Any reason you are leaning towards the HOG instead?
The one problem with the POG2 is that I can't control the octaves on the fly and I'm also looking for an organ/texture pedal. That's why I'd like to have the preset extension and a expression pedal.

Octaves are the least that the HOG can do. It's a complex and expansive pedal that's almost like its own instrument. It can freeze and bend sound, create bow/synth like effects with the attack and decay controls, create organ like textures with the drawbar controls, wah/resonant filter tones, and more. It's immense, and if simply you want a versatile octave pedal, it may be total overkill.
Actually one of the other reasons besides the octave ability I wanted to do holds and organ sounds. Other options for the organ sounds would be picking up a Musiconics Guitorgan ;). One fear I have that it might be a pedal that won't stand up to the test of time. I'll be going down to Chicago Music Exchange this weekend(hopefully) and trying one out, luckily a member of our band works there. Any idea for alternatives? Maybe a combination of pedals, the HOG does take up a good amount of real estate.

Swansons

I prefer the interface of the HOG over that of the pitchfactor.
I am very interested to hear what HOG owners have to say about it, I would not be surprised to hear that once you own it, you love it. Don't see them come for sale frequently, but not infrequently either.
I watched a video of the HOG vs the Pitchfactor and seems the tracking of full chords in some of the registers sound messed up and incoherent. He shows a great example of different chord voicings and it's wacky sounding. Not that you were saying the Pitchfactor was better or not. Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSRaUZWiIEM&feature=related

codetocontra

I had one for a month and returned it for three reasons: 1) Some of the octaves put out frequencies that didn't work well with my Marshall, just kind of a gross mess with too much going on at once. I remember thinking it might be killer with a keyboard amp...2) The Freeze/Gliss mode was a big selling point to me, and I found it disappointing. The portamento wasn't really pitch-accurate, it was more of an added sound (sort of like a triggered overdub) that had an approximation to the last and next notes you were playing, but it was off enough to make me not like it. 3) I realized that I could not incorporate the HOG into enough of our songs to justify the price tag and pedalboard real estate. This is the kind of pedal you have to write songs with or around it's use, not to use randomly.

That said, if it is an important effect then you will make room on your pedalboard. Breaking the HOG sound down, you could get a POG2, Freeze/SuperEgo, Whammy, and more...You end up taking up more space and more power requirements and maybe still not doing everything a HOG can.

At this point in time, I would personally take another look at the Pitchfactor, especially if Eventide would update their other factor-pedals with the Space interface and display. That is just my opinion. If you have been watching YouTube demos then you know there is some overlap with the Pitchfactor and HOG, but they also do their own thing too.

Oh, and the HOG ships with a cheap M-Audio expression pedal.

ERGExplorer

A few thoughts from someone who owns, uses and dearly loves both the HOG and the POG2:

I will often reach for the POG2 if I don't need any of the additional features of the HOG.

I think of the HOG as my any-instrument-turned-into-polyphonic-Hammond-B3 pedal. There is a strong correspondence between the HOG sliders and the B3 drawbars. If you do any reading about organs, you will find that one can get different timbres from them by using different combinations of pipes/harmonics/drawbars. It's not just that it can sound like an organ. It's that a well-designed organ can sound like other instruments.

Added to that are the other features of the HOG, which help give animation and other variations to the tonewheel aspect of the HOG.

If you can sit down with the HOG and the manual and can picture where you're going to go with the extra features, then it's probably the machine for you.

If you're thinking, that sounds neat... although I really can't picture a use for that stuff, then you should probably avoid the huge investment. Get a POG2 instead.

One more thought: get a small notebook and jot down the settings which are your presets.

Whatever you decide to get, good luck!

AXXA

Silver Supporting Member
I went with the POG2 (and Micro POG!) and a Freeze, but I initially considered the HOG. FWIW, the POG2 has presets and can do organ sounds quite well. And the new Super Ego would give even more possibilities than the Freeze. I'd say any combo of these EHX pedals will give you great results, if you have some good uses for them. I'd still love to try a HOG, but I probably don't need one.... or do I?

ERGExplorer

One quick comment, since it came up:

If someone transposes a string tone which has a lot of complex upper frequency stuff, then the upper frequency stuff also gets transposed, leading to that chipmunking and warbling. If one wants to avoid those artifacts, turn down your tone knob in order to only transpose the fundamental, not all the harmonic content of your string(s).

Biggelzworth

Silver Supporting Member
One quick comment, since it came up:

If someone transposes a string tone which has a lot of complex upper frequency stuff, then the upper frequency stuff also gets transposed, leading to that chipmunking and warbling. If one wants to avoid those artifacts, turn down your tone knob in order to only transpose the fundamental, not all the harmonic content of your string(s).

:agree and would like to add that the HOG is amazing. Tons of sounds and functionality. Just wish the foot controller was smaller as it unnecessarily large.

sunbuster

HOG does a lot of cool stuff. I don't need all that for what I do but I used to use it a bit.
Just wasn't happy with the tone generally. A bit shrill / dry / digital. EH stuff can do groovy tricks but I just don't think they sound much good.

But there was nothing else like it at the time.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom