Should i take the plunge on a Clapton Champ?

Really want a Champ. I'd rather buy a new one because even though i like vintage gear, i prefer for personal reasons..

I've been through a few amps

Ampeg GVT52, made a werid noise but loved the sound
Fender Excelsior rattled too much
I have an Laney Ti15 (tony iommis sig amp), its great and i'm keeping this one

i got a used Ampeg GVT15, love it but it too is now acting screwy. I got it Wednesday, it was cutting out when i was using a guitar. I thought it was the guitar, now its doing it with a different one. But i love the sound. I may try and get another Ampeg GVT52, if Musicians Friend will sell my one for what i originally paid. If not i may see if they will knock some money off of a Clapton Champ. I'm typically a bedroom player, and i jam with a bassist once in a while.

Last edited:
I went through a similar dilemma, and after HOURS and HOURS of research, I settled on the EC Vibro Champ. Not a Clapton worshipper; it's just this amp at this price point is better than the other available options.

When considering sound, weight, aesthetics, quality, and price, you just can't beat it (and frankly the clone builders here I spoke to couldn't either).

Best of luck.

Cheers!

I'm going to call Musicians Friend, this is my 3rd amp i've had problems with (serves me right for buying cheapies i guess). I wanna see if they will work a deal with me on a Clapton Champ.

How are these Super Champ xd"s? How much do they sound like real Champs.. Everyone says they sound awesome but no one talks about if they actually sound like a Champ... Are they basically MIM Champs with extra effects?

manimal

I'm going to call Musicians Friend, this is my 3rd amp i've had problems with (serves me right for buying cheapies i guess). I wanna see if they will work a deal with me on a Clapton Champ.

How are these Super Champ xd"s? How much do they sound like real Champs.. Everyone says they sound awesome but no one talks about if they actually sound like a Champ... Are they basically MIM Champs with extra effects?
I think the Champ XD's or X2's are Champs in name only. Like, designed to give you sounds that Champs don't do, Marshall's tones, Vox, Boogie, and as far as Fender tones go....more blackface or tweed deluxe tones. I know there's a champ setting in the Fuse software, but its subjective preference if it "nails" the tone or not.

V-Type

For as much as the Clapton Champ you could get a few other Better options imo.
Unless the Clapton named amp is important too you.
They are under $900 now at many places.
But for that you could get two used vintage champs easily.
I just passed on a 70 Champ at $400 and it was almost showroom new and with original(i believe) tubes.

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
You need to ask yourself if the benifets,(modleing/tube). outweigh the tone of the EC. The answer is yours only. But for just great overall Fender tubey tweed sound, the EC has it in spades. BUt the XD has all that versititlity and really can sound quite good. ANd please don't do the TGPembelsonic! That's doing an ignorant jump to conclusions that the amp speaker don't sound really good. Break it in, and then make your decision. The EC is killer and really there isn't a clone that is better. Oh! I have not heard the EC with NOS tubes,only stock. It fooled me. Awesome little amp.

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
He is not interested in used!

For as much as the Clapton Champ you could get a few other Better options imo.
Unless the Clapton named amp is important too you.
They are under $900 now at many places.
But for that you could get two used vintage champs easily.
I just passed on a 70 Champ at $400 and it was almost showroom new and with original(i believe) tubes.

^This, i'd buy "newer" used but thats it, unless its a vintage tweed deluxe, even then i'd buy the newer one or a clone if it made more sense.

I do homework before i buy stuff. I plan on keeping this amp for as long as i play. I'm 20, so in 40 years, do i want a nearly 100 year old amp? will these vintage amps even last that much longer, before the insides are new and the outside is the only old thing.

Yes i could buy an old amp for say $400.... I'll have to put another 100-$250... For that price, it still might be cheaper, but its still an old amp, mojo or not. Thats my reasoning for wanting a new amp. I love Clapton and its the main reason i want a Champ, but not because its his champ.. Its a Tweed Vibro Champ, made by Fender and its new... The low power selection seems cool too.

But these Fender Super Champ xd's/x2s seem pretty cool.

river_jetties

Could you still do 30 day return at GC? If yes, play in store and if you genuinely like it, just get it. If GC has cut price 40% already, they'll prob do a bit more too.

Trending Topics