Should I trade? Blues Deville for DRRI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by m@2, Feb 24, 2008.

1. m@2

m@2 Member

hi, i have an opportunity to trade my DRRI for a 4X10 blues deville (tweed) straight up. I love my DRRI, no issues other than i sometimes need a bit more volume (some shows are un mic'd cabs, and my drummer is quite loud). Question: is the blues deluxe in somewhat the same tone range, but louder, or is it total apples to oranges? I want something louder, with similar clean to break-up tone range. Also, is the reverb useable (I dig my DRRI reverb a lot, is the deville comparable?). I may not have the opportunity to play the other amp much before the trade, so hoping someone can help me. whattya think?

2. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

I like classic tones, and I wouldn't do it. The amps sound very different even if you discount the change from the single 12 to the 4X10s. I prefer the sounds of the Deluxe more than the DeVille and I certainly wouldn't haul around a 4X10 unless I LOVED the amp!

I understand your quest for more volume, and the DeVill may work for you, but it wouldn't work for me.

3. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

4. RDM

RDM Senior Member

Do the trade!

5. m@2

m@2 Member

Thanks for the feedback: 2 to keep DRRI, 1 to trade...

I guess I'll try to play one at a store if I can find one. I have never played/heard a blues deville before. I do really like the tone out of the DRRI... maybe an extension cab with it (I have a few bassman 2X12 cabs I could try) . Would I get much more volume that way, or just a bigger/fuller sound at the same volume?

6. scottlaned

scottlaned Member

Put a louder speaker in the DRRI and call it a day.

DRRIs are loud as hell.

7. NTBluesGuitar

NTBluesGuitar Member

DRRI...the DeVille has a worse track record in regards to build quality. I've come across MANY Blues and Hot Rod series amps with circuit board quality issues. Fun amps, can sound pretty good, but they're designed to meet a price point and some components' quality were sacrificed, IMO.

From a Blues Deluxe (never modded or repaired before it died):

[​IMG]

8. m@2

m@2 Member

great feedback, thanks again! not to totally change the concept of this thread, but what speaker(s) would give me a volume increase in my DRRI (I still use the stock speaker btw)? Do i just increase (or decrease) the ohm rating, or wattage rating? I don't need more break up (use a RAT or 808 for my dirt mostly) just need a bit more volume on the DRRI and I'll be way happy with the amp

9. NTBluesGuitar

NTBluesGuitar Member

You want to check the SPL numbers (sensitivity). The higher, the louder they are.

New Eminence speakers are great. The Cannabis Rex works well in the DRRI and with an SPL rating of 102dB is really efficient (louder).

10. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

keep the Deluxe or sell it to me.

The other amp you might want to try is the super reverb, hehehhehe.

11. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    First off unless you are talking about an older DR and not the DRRI the build quality is most likely very much the same. I have both of these amps and will tell you to try playing your DRRI through the built in speaker and another cabinet. There is a good chance of moving more air may meet your needs. The DRRI is much warmer sounding amp to me than the Blues Deville. The Blues Deville is one loud amp!!! Mine has eaten more than few Marshall 100watt heads into 412's, some may argue this point but I have many witnesses to this, maybe mine is somehow special but I doubt it.

Both amps do have the signature Fender tone and reverb, the DRRI weighs about 1/2 of the 410 Blues Deville, so from a portability issue it is easier on the back. Even if you factor in adding a 410 cabinet to your rig, it will be easier to carry along with the DRRI than lugging the tank of a Blues Deville.

TheGrooveking

12. NTBluesGuitar

NTBluesGuitar Member

If you're comparing the Blues Deluxe to the DRRI, then I'll politely disagree.

The DRRI has chassis-mounted tube sockets, the Blues (and Hot Rods) have PCB-mounted tube sockets. The stress of any tube change can be rough on the PCBs.

I've had both PCBs in my hands and I can definitely feel a difference (the DRRI not being as flimsy).

Nothing personal...just hoping to share my experience.

13. m@2

m@2 Member

ok, i tried the deville, and i decided to pass on the trade... AND, I tried some extension cabs with the DRRI and I think that may indeed be my answer (why did I wait so long to try that???) I will also try a speaker change just to see what tonal/volume gain I can achieve, as I have a couple of extra speakers around. thanks again everyone!

14. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    The Celestion Alnico Gold is a great sounding speaker, it's efficiency is 100db, so if you find something in the 103db rating, you'll up your volume dramatically. Let us know what you end up with.

TheGrooveking