Should I trade my amp for a Kemper?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by PLAYLOUD, Mar 24, 2019.

1. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

I bought a D-Style amp because of that I thought I needed. The amp sounds fantastic, very touch sensitive and really sings. I play for a large church using in-ears and the Aviom system. The amp runs into a Palmer. A few Sunday's ago every sounded great, today a lot of high end. This is typical of the systems we use, it's never consistent.

from what I understand using something like a Kemper is a great way to keep things sounding the same all the time. However, a friend of mine has one and he also has it set up as a great practice rig for learning tunes. He tells me I can even download the correct sound patches for each song!

Maybe selling the amp and getting a Kemper is just the way to go? Like to hear your thoughts?

Thanks!

C-4 likes this.
  2. Daniel Travis

Daniel Travis Supporting Member

It depends on which D style amp.

If its a Fuchs or Carol Ann or something, I wouldn't.

In Absentia and macmax77 like this.
  3. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

You can if you want.

I’m just not interested in that stuff.

jiml, ChampReverb and macmax77 like this.
  4. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

I am sorry, but the coffee makers don't sound the same to me. And I am not joking, there is something that bothers me when I listen to them and I cannot put my finger on what it is. Maybe it is not that I can listen, but it ends up making me nauseous. Don't even asked me why, I don't have a clue.

Daniel Travis likes this.
  5. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

Yes, you go for it!

Would I?
    No.

-bEn r.

6. Ejay

Ejay Member

Im a Kemper user and fanboy....and id say “no”.

A powered Kemper through a cab will feel and sound very close to a tube amp....at low volumes kpa will be the same or better.
    At high volumes nothing beats a tube power section. Thats why I keep tube combo’s, to use as power platform for the kpa...or just to play the amp...which is fun.
    Also...it helps to have a tube amp around to confirm kpa delivers its promise now and then.

Kpa will deliver on your iem like no others...but keep in mind thats a very different sensation then standing next to a guitar cab.

Regardless..selling amps before you have something better is always a bad idea ;)

DV52 likes this.
  7. TheSchwartz

TheSchwartz Member

I use a Kemper for my main rig for pretty much everything, and while I love it, I’m not necessarily convinced that it would be the best solution for you. I say that because you mentioned that your sound is inconsistent from one show to another. This sounds more like a problem with the venue’s sound system and/or the person running it. Are you doing sound checks before each performance?

Of course, that’s not to say that you shouldn’t try out a Kemper if you want to. It’s the only way you’ll find out whether or not it’ll fit your needs.

e???, Old Guy and mangoman like this.
  8. mangoman

mangoman Silver Supporting Member

All depends. I had a Kemper, and went back to Tubes. Why? well, for where I play, i just always felt I got lost. I just never vibe not feeling it. Plus, plenty of times, I just needed to change stuff up, and its just too much work for me. They are super cool and flexible, but for me, the KPA and a Cab, just never got it for me. tons of sounds in there. but, i just believe that I need to spend more time with an amp, and really know that thing.

if you are patient and have the time, the KPA cam be a BEAST of a tool. I just wanted simpler.

Best of luck. Keep the amp, and save up for the KPA and go from there....

9. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

If you want everything in one box and like the convenience, it is a fantastic setup. I had a powered rack about 5 years ago. I am not a Kemper fan at all but there is no denying that it is an excellent product used by many with great success.

I will not let go of my amp for one though. The Axe III has me convinced otherwise. It sounds incredible.

In any case, it is nice to have both options to use if you can make that happen.

10. BarArt

BarArt Member

Get the Kemper and profile your amp. Use the Kemper at gigs for consistency, but keep your tube amp for jamming at home or with friends.

11. Daniel Travis

I hear it too. I perceive it as a grainy, fatiguing thing in the high end.

I cant hear it on records when the guitar is mixed back fairly deep - like in new 'classic rock" type records.

But especially in modern metal, that kemper high end thing is super prominent. See the last couple andy sneap records, like the newer Testament ones. It is super fatiguing to listen to. I can only get through a couple songs before it gives me a headache.

e??? and macmax77 like this.
  12. guitarben

guitarben Member

You need both. I love my Kemper, it's an incredible tool; absolutely perfect for the church gigs I play. ....but you should keep you amp if possible. I think you'll regret it if you go *only* Kemper.

fatbagg likes this.
  13. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

I’ve personally decided that if I’m going to try a Kemper or Axe-FX III, I will have it in addition to my tube amps.

lenster and mqqse like this.
  14. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

Sounds like a sound engineer or mixing problem that a Kemper won’t fix. I play at church through with Avioms and the sound is very consistent. We have a pro sound engineer who never rotates-he saves all his mixes and is meticulous.

davidespinosa likes this.
  15. LikeAMotherF

LikeAMotherF Supporting Member

If you have a lot of time, and enjoy spending time turning knobs and deep diving menus; maybe. If you value having a lot of cool sounds and options; maybe. If you dig being able to press a button or two and have an entirely different sound for every song; maybe. If you spend a lot of time recording for clients who have very specific needs; maybe.

These are all very valid reasons, and the Kemper absolutely fills these needs and more.

If you're happy with getting one amp you think sounds great, a handful of pedals you think sound great, and then focusing on your technique and tone to really finesse what you have; probably not.

Me, I'm in the second group. I'm happy trying to find the best sounds from just a few components, instead of having every single possible combination at my fingertips. But that's just me- I get option paralysis and can see myself spending more time trying to make a AXE or Kemper 'sound just a little bit better' instead of woodshedding and getting my hands and energy to sound a whole lot more connected, and in turn, better.

I honestly respect the Kemper/AXE/Helix crowd. There's something out there for everyone. You just have to decide what your needs are and where your resources are best spent.

lenster, tochiro, junu and 1 other person like this.
  16. jojobean39

jojobean39 Member

I play at church and use the Aviom systems as well. I don’t have a Kemper, but I’m going to second what lostpoet said... a different amp, be it a Dumble, Kemper or a POD, isn’t going to get any more consistent. We have those same issues.

I’m curious if your band is the same band every week. That’s one of our biggest challenges. We have a rotation of people who play different instruments and it’s a bit tough to get consistency there. No change in gear will help that.

At one point, years ago, I used a Lexicon processor that was similar to a modeling system. The sounds were really good and I couldn’t tell the difference between that and my Mesa on a blind test. However, the fact that I was using a digital system didn’t change variations from week to week.

I’m curious, what is your D style amp? That might make me feel differently. (Probably not, but I just want to know what it is) :)

davidespinosa likes this.
  17. lpd

lpd Supporting Member

I have both for aforementioned reasons!

18. BarArt

BarArt Member

How do you know that he used the Kemper to record those albums?

19. Daniel Travis

Oh, I don't know, just talking out of my ass.

gtrbarbarian and SDR like this.
  20. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Member

Yes get a wall of kempers. Im pretty sure led zeppelin 4 was all kempers.

Whats a kemper?