• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Should i trade my amp for a vibroverb?

ZachariahG

i have a Mesa Maverick. i was going to trade it for a vibroverb reissue, but it's tough to make up my mind. any opinions?

Last edited:

Troubleman

Which Vibroverb - the reissue of the chocolate brown 63 (2x10 brown panel) or the reissue of a 64 Vibroverb (1x15 black panel)?
They are two very different amps....

jb

krisharmony

Silver Supporting Member
I love that amp. I had one for a year or so and really miss it. When I decide I want another non-tweed amp that'll be what I go after.

Peppy

Which Vibroverb - the reissue of the chocolate brown 63 (2x10 brown panel) or the reissue of a 64 Vibroverb (1x15 black panel)?
They are two very different amps....

jb
Two very different amps yes...I owned both. However, the '64 Vibroverb Custom is not a reissue. Also not being made anymore for anyone "on the fence" about one. ZacariahG...the main thing I didn't like about the '63 reissue was the speakers...too flabby. At the time there wasn't a lot of replacement speakers when I bought mine (18 years ago) but now that should be no problem.

krisharmony

Silver Supporting Member
ZacariahG...the main thing I didn't like about the '63 reissue was the speakers...too flabby. At the time there wasn't a lot of replacement speakers when I bought mine (18 years ago) but now that should be no problem.
I agree, the speakers got real farty past 1 o'clock.

ZachariahG

sweet... have any of you guys have any experience with the mesa maverick? i guess my main concern is switching from an EL84 amp with the maverick, to the vibroverb (6L6's??)

Mcclassic

I have 2 Mavericks 4x10 and would not trade fo anything... the 10's seems to fit very well this amp, with 12, gets very dark.

The Maverick tone is very in the mids, the fender will be more in thespakling cleans. If i play one of may fenders (super reverbs, ets) I can not play next the Mavericks because it feels too mid.

Very different tone, I think the Maverick is more versatil and has the best cleans of the mesa family.

krisharmony

Silver Supporting Member
sweet... have any of you guys have any experience with the mesa maverick? i guess my main concern is switching from an EL84 amp with the maverick, to the vibroverb (6L6's??)

Well what is it that you're looking for? The Vibroverb is a great clean and can get a little gritty in a real nice way. I don't know if the Mesa has a drive channel (i assume it does) but the Vibroverb definitely does not so all your drive will have to come from pedals.

Mcclassic

Maverick has a drive channel in the tone of the ~70's really good and smooth, but I thin the cleans and the overdrive of the clean channel is where this amp shines the best.

ZachariahG

Well what is it that you're looking for? The Vibroverb is a great clean and can get a little gritty in a real nice way. I don't know if the Mesa has a drive channel (i assume it does) but the Vibroverb definitely does not so all your drive will have to come from pedals.
i only use the clean channel on the mesa and use pedals for my drive. i'm just wondering if the vibroverbs clean tone would be better than the maverick's for me.

krisharmony

Silver Supporting Member
i only use the clean channel on the mesa and use pedals for my drive. i'm just wondering if the vibroverbs clean tone would be better than the maverick's for me.
You really ought to try one out. There are probably plenty of people on here that don't think they're accurate enough and whatnot but they really do have a great tone and aren't all that expensive. I like the reverb a lot too.

Peppy

I forget exactly which one but Nuno Bettencourt used a reissue brown Vibroverb on one of the Extreme albums in the early-mid 90s...so you know they can rock.

topbrent

Nuno Bettencourt used the '63 Vibroverb RI on all but 2 tunes of the Extreme: Waiting For The Punchline album (1995). He ran it into a '69 Marshall 4x12 cab.

Click on these links for the tunes:
http://www.last.fm/music/Extreme/_/Cynical?autostart

http://www.last.fm/music/Extreme/_/Evilangelist?autostart

It shows up on much of his Schizophonic (1996) album, as well.
http://www.last.fm/music/Nuno+Bettencourt/_/Gravity?autostart

'Punchline has to be one of my favorite guitar tone albums.

The tone isn't for everyone, but for me it is up there with VH-1 for coolness.

YMMV

Last edited:

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
i have a mesa maverick 4x10.
Oh.....

No, the Maverick is a GREAT amp. Beautiful cleans that fit so incredibly well in a loud band.

Though, the V-Verb is a really nice amp. It is not as versatile as the Mesa.

I had a Maverick for a time and what really stood out was the higher headroom, blooming notes while my band was wailing away.

Put it in a head if it too cumbersome. Nice amps.

Trending Topics