Should i trade my KOT for a TIM?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by yawiney, May 10, 2015.

1. yawiney

yawiney Member

So i've had the KOT (regular gain, version 4, serial 1476) for years and didn't like it for lead and havn't been doing too many gigs where i could leave it on all the time for the extra amp break up rythym sound that i do love about the pedal. It's never been on my board and only gone to one gig because i couldn't justify taking it out when i don't know if i will sell.

That being said, after putting it on reverb i've used it at home rehearsals for a more rock'nroll type gig and love what it does for rythym going in to my Deluxe reverb re-issue. What i don't like about using it for lead is this "scratchy" or "dry"(not dry vs wet with effects) kind of sound. Never played a TIM.
    My question is:
    Will a TIM get me closer to having that nice dirty boost i love on the red channel of the KOT and also be able to get a lead sound i like? Warm like the KOT but smoother? Also i see TIM's for alot cheaper.??

2. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

The Tim was made for Marshalls. Not that they sound bad thru Fenders though. If your using a Fender black or silver face i would say your pedal should be the KoT.

3. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

4. Sawwave

Sawwave Member

I disagree with the whole "Tim was made for Marshalls" idea. Maybe because it doesn't have a mid range bump like a tube screamer, so people don't think it'll work on a blackface circuit. I actually prefer the Timmy over the tube screamer through my deluxe reverb. It sounds awesome and doesn't get lost in the mix. So chewy sounding!

5. bjfly17

bjfly17 Member

Have you considered sending it back to analogman to get high gain on one or both channels?

6. yawiney

yawiney Member

You think that would make it work for my lead taste and still keep the warm light OD boost I like for crunchy rythym?

7. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Heard a Tim through a Bruno Cowtipper (fender deluxe on steroids) sounded incredible. Want one for my Princeton.

8. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

I've owned both, still have the KOT. Mine is the high gain one, but it doesn't have a lot of gain. Great pedal, it just works in a live format. I run mine in front of an SD9 and Klon. Sounds good in front of my plexi and my buster.

Ultimately you've got to decide.

9. goodhonk

goodhonk Member

Have you adjusted the dipswitches on the kot?

10. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

I would sell the KOT and then buy a POT and a Timmy. Then you will have the best of both.

11. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

email AnalogMike and ask

12. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Just buy a Timmy. They are very reasonable. Try them both together on your board. Sell the one you don't like, or keep both.

13. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

This is a good question.

If you haven't done yet try switching the red side to dist.

14. yawiney

yawiney Member

^I tried that. Still not doing it for me for lead. The only way I can describe it is too scratchy/dry-sounding like a pedal not an amp. i know it is a pedal but....
    I do really love leaving it on for rhythm on more rock type of stuff, it just seems like something worth so much $ should be able to do both for me. I havn't played a TIM or a Timmy. The TIM +100$ is the offer I got, but until I get to try a TIM I will keep my KOT.
    POT +Timmy wouldn't take up much more board space though...

15. Unadan

Unadan Member

Sorry but what does "chewy" sound like?

16. mip

mip Member

I have to say that what works in the practice room isn't always best in live situations. My KoT (high gain red side) didn't seem stellar in my studio, though I love what it does live. It's a very clear sounding unit - much more so than other od pedals.

I agree with the suggestion to have the high gain mod added. I'd also recommend playing with the tone controls on the pedal, your amp and the guitar.

17. yawiney

yawiney Member

^ True that. Iv'e almost taken it out the last few gigs just to feel it in a live situation before mabey selling, but since it's worth so much I've been afraid to scratch it, get it dirty ect..

Also, only 1 of the last 5 gigs i've had would have given me a chance to really use it. The next 2 definately won't either.
    Mabey I'll take it out to a jam session.
    I do really love it for light OD rhythm. At home i've been running it 1st before my Keeley TS9. Not loving the 2 together that way. Mabey I should try it reversed??
    Mostly using one or the other. I like it as much as the modded TS9 for lead and mabey a little more but neither really does what i'm looking for.
    Also, i like it more with my LP than the Strats.
    I'll try messing with the guitar controls with it on. Havn't done that much.
    Thanks for the help here.

18. vegetablejoe

vegetablejoe Member

I love the KOT > Timmy tandem. The smooth crunchy rhythm from the KOT and the slight grit (or "chewiness") for leads from the Timmy.

The other way Timmy > KOT (gritty crunch + smooth leads) works as well; just depends on which way you want to play.

19. yawiney

yawiney Member

Seems like more mentions of the Timmy than TIM. Mabey I should try one with the KOT. Board space is an issue too though....Sent an email to Paul C. for a list of dealers in the LA area so i can try one (or both). From what I've read here about the Barber GC, I may have to try it as well.

20. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

Both pedals work VERY nicely together... for what it's worth. I'd recommend having both!