Should I trade my LP for a Tele

bluegrif

Silver Supporting Member
For me there's no question. It would come down to the individual examples. I'd have to play each to have a clue.

I had a 78 LP Custom. Played and sounded absolutely great. Someone had done some incredibly nice fretwork on it. But it weighed a good 11 lbs.

The Fenders from that era include, IMO, some of the worst US made Fenders. But that doesn't apply to all of them. A magic 78 Tele is not out of the question by any means.

utterhack

I love LPs and Tele Customs.

Assuming both guitars are in equivalent condition, I wouldn't do this trade without significant cash on the Tele side. And even then I wouldn't do this trade :)

utterhack

I love LPs and Tele Customs.

Assuming both guitars are in equivalent condition, I wouldn't do this trade without significant cash on the Tele side. And even then I wouldn't do this trade :)
Kidding aside, I would have to personally not get along with that specific LP and would have to really dig that specific Tele Custom.

custom53

You will be regretting getting rid of the Les Paul later down the road..
I can guarantee it..

C-4

A 78 LP for a 78Tele...no.
However, If you are flexible enough to look at the newer Teles by Fender, you might come up with a winner.

I played LP's since the 1950's, but sooner or later, a lot of us did gravitate to a longer scale guitar with more harmonic note content....Fenders

I would suggest looking at one of the Fender Select Telecasters.

XKnight

I'd want to play both guitars before making a decision. I'd choose the one that played and sounded better. I should take my advice more often since I've done countless trades without playing first.

bluegrif

Silver Supporting Member
I'd want to play both guitars before making a decision. I'd choose the one that played and sounded better. I should take my advice more often since I've done countless trades without playing first.
Again, this. Unless you're a guitar flipper rather than a musician, it's about the individual guitar. And despite those here who apparently have some magical insight into your needs, it really comes down to which guitar will better suit your music. If you're thinking about dollar value, then you don't even need to ask the question. Anyone can research used prices in 10 minutes. But which guitar feels best and sounds best for you, only YOU can decide. And the only way to determine that is to play both. Preferably in a band setting.

fjblair

Gold Supporting Member
Les Paul. Maybe a bit heavy but so is the Tele. Late 70's Gibson's for the win!

Trending Topics