Should I trade my SuperSonic for a DRRI?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by shakerAU, Aug 5, 2008.

1. shakerAU

shakerAU Member

I've been using a Super-Sonic for about 3 months now, but it doesn't start to sound good until the volume is up around 3, nearly every gig I'm being asked to turn down! tried playing at lower volume but it sounds like crap, thin and fizzy.
    So I'm thinking of trading it for a DRRI.

Does this sound like a sensible idea?

Oh yeah, I play 50's style rock & roll/rockabilly with a Gretsch 6120.

2. sqadan

sqadan Member

Yeah... I'd go for the DRRI... or for Rockabilly - what about a Bassman LTD?

Only thing I'll say though - even the Deluxe is going to sound thin on 3... almost any amp will unless it's like 5 watts. If you like the sound of your Super-Sonic cranked - why not try an attenuator?

3. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

+1 for the attenuator suggestion.

4. shakerAU

shakerAU Member

Thanks sqadan

Tried an attenuator, tried yellow jackets as well, didn't really care for the tone.

5. wilerty

wilerty Member

Try a Rivera Clubster 25 Doce. Similar in specs and price to the DRRI. Now that I see where you are from ... that may be difficult.

6. sqadan

sqadan Member

You may have the same issue with the Deluxe.... 22 watts is still a lot of power and my Deluxe really does not start warming up until around 4 or 5 on the Volume knob.... especially with single coils....

I'd be looking at 5 to 10 watt 1x12 type amps in your situation - if low volume breakup and warmth is what your after.... either that or something with a master volume like the VOX AC15CC1 / AC30CC2...

If your budget will allow it - why not look into an amp with power scaling like the Carr Mercury?

7. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

I guess I'm one of those who considers the Deluxe the almost 'perfect' amp. I have a DRRI (bright cap clipped, Brimar tubes, biased hot, etc), and it lately gets chosen for the small club gigs. My Z-28 and D'Lite 22/33 (6l6's) are serious contenders for what gets chosen, but lately it's been the Deluxe with a sole Xotic BB on the floor. Just mic it with a 57 and it's great.

Just make sure you get one with a good speaker, the new ones with Jensen C12K is killer, the older ones may have a junk speaker in 'em.

8. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

If you want "tone" at low volume, try a PRRI, it sounds way better than a stock DRRI and its $150 less.

9. sqadan

sqadan Member

+1...

I almost forgot these were out now.... this is probably a great idea...

10. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I have no experience with them but how about a Pro Jr or Blues Jr?

11. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Before you sell off the SS, you should try lower-gain tubes. Especially in the Burn channel. I can get a great Brian Setzer-type Rockabilly sound, at reasonable volume, out of the SS Burn channel... but I have a 5751 in V3, which is the tube for the Burn channel.

V1 = input buffer for BOTH Vintage & Burn
    V2 = Vintage channel gain stage
    V3 = Burn channels gain stages

FWIW, I can't really get a good rockabilly sound, unless it a very CLEAN rockabilly, out of the Vintage channels, even if I use an attenuator. Put a 5751 in V3, keep the Burn 1 down at 2-3, turn the Burn 2 up to the level of dirt you want. Works great.