Should I try Headrush Gigboard?

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
FM3 is NOT an option at this time.
AX8 is NOT an option.
III is super overkill and still too expensive.
KPA Stage is alluring, still have concerns on durability and right out of current gear fund reach.
HX everything been there done that and not willing to pay new prices.
Strymon Iridium is my current jam (that I love) but I really need a simpler yet more versatile “preset / scene” approach for my gigs then what a traditional pedalboard offers.

I would be selling off my pedalboard and using <insert modeler here> for virtual board + real amp backline at some gigs, DI plus FRFR backline at other gigs and VIP - acoustic shows to make my Taylor with expression system sound better, use light FX and LOOP live.
Currently no gigs in April so I could do a massive sell off and prep for FM3.
Whatever needs to be getable via GC or Amazon, no exclusions.
Or am I just wasting an opportunity?

Last edited:

dmock66

To me, the Gigboard is a VERY powerful/versatile tool. I used the 11R so the transition was pretty straight forward. I've applied what I've learned over the years with other modelers (Digitech, Zoom, 11R, Atomic & Helix) and it works with the Gigboard also (EQ strategies, delay settings, gain staging, etc).

I don't play the Gigboard with an amp - but it has the ability to channel switch.

As a stand alone modeler it works for me. The switches do the press/hold thing so they can cover a lot ground. As noted in the HX Stomp vs Gigboard thread - Scenes work really well. The raw amp tones can be dialed in pretty quickly - getting the right effect settings can take a bit more work. However, you can save pedal/amp level presets that you can reuse as well as switch between across Scenes.

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
To me, the Gigboard is a VERY powerful/versatile tool. I used the 11R so the transition was pretty straight forward. I've applied what I've learned over the years with other modelers (Digitech, Zoom, 11R, Atomic & Helix) and it works with the Gigboard also (EQ strategies, delay settings, gain staging, etc).

I don't play the Gigboard with an amp - but it has the ability to channel switch.

As a stand alone modeler it works for me. The switches do the press/hold thing so they can cover a lot ground. As noted in the HX Stomp vs Gigboard thread - Scenes work really well. The raw amp tones can be dialed in pretty quickly - getting the right effect settings can take a bit more work. However, you can save pedal/amp level presets that you can reuse as well as switch between across Scenes.
Cool. I'm in a strange situation where I have some gift certificate money (Amazon or GC) and it's actually not doing me any good right now.
Again, this is another stop gap until the FM3 is actually available (headphone version preferred). I just can't do the pedalboard dance when I'm also singing, worrying about the full mix, IEM mix, etc. and the Iridium + board is simply not conducive to acoustic gigs.

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
It's not a silver bullet but it fills an interesting void in the modeler world. The CPU is powerful enough to have dual amps and/or several blocks with gapless switching and tails. It also has a pretty powerful looper by all accounts. The interface is really a treat to use. But the models, switching, and routing can be a bit limiting. You may or may not love the sound.

Having used the Stomp and Gigboard, I feel like I'm limited by the power of the Stomp but not by the Gigboard. On the flip side, I feel like I'm more creatively inspired/satisfied by the effects on the Stomp than the Gigboard. Still, I could probably more easily do a gig with the Gigboard than the Stomp, especially standalone.

Where I'm at, the Axe 3 isn't going anywhere, but I'm really considering selling the Gigboard and returning the Stomp and jumping back into a bigger Helix...

Hit me up if you have any questions...

dmock66

Very understandable.

The Gigboard can handle any combination of 4 stomps/scenes per 'rig' (preset). They do allow for saving presets of blocks - amp settings, OD, delay, IR, whatever. You can change the preset of say a Tube Screamer from Scene 1 to Scene 2 - so you can get a good bit of mileage from each block in the signal even though you can't do individual parameter changes by Scene (like you can on the Helix platform, for instance). Press/hold and you can get to the 'rigs' menu to change patches - then press/hold to go back to Stomp/Scene mode. You can create set lists so you can simply scroll down the list to go song to song if you want to create presets with specifically created Scenes... or more "general use" presets with clean/rhythm/lead type settings.

I agree with @Jarick overall on his assessment. My #1 is the Helix Floor so I have less reservation over the limits of the Stomp (got it initially as a backup to the Floor) - and dig the Gigboard as the reasons I sold the 11R were addressed with the Gigboard.

ethomas1013

Silver Supporting Member
I bought a used one as a stop-gap while waiting on the FM3 because I’m sick of hauling around the AxeIII and controller. It locked up and stopped working within a few days. Headrush support was excellent and replaced the unit even though I bought it used. Outstanding support.

Tonally, I found it a bit brittle and harsh. Even with IRs, which is the only way to go because the built in cab sims are terrible. Touch response was ok, but nothing like the AxeIII. The FX are rather limited without a lot of depth. I have to do some ambient tones and the Gigboard FX are too limited to get what I wanted. I did like the touch screen interface a lot.

In the end, it was too limited for me and did not sound good enough for me to leave the AxeIII at home. I’ll deal with hauling around the III and foot controller. I sold it a week after getting the replacement unit.

If I were looking for a floor unit right now I’d go Helix over HR. When does Pod Go start shipping?

dmock66

Pod Go would be a great choice over the GB.
I agree - I didn't suggest that as the OP was clear that he's tried the HX platform and wasn't interested in it at this point. Where I like the Gigboard - I got mine used for a good price - otherwise I wouldn't have gone after it. As mentioned, the Floor is my #1 with the Stomp a very close second and Gigboard a distant third. It's good - but I prefer the Helix platform overall.

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
I agree - I didn't suggest that as the OP was clear that he's tried the HX platform and wasn't interested in it at this point. Where I like the Gigboard - I got mine used for a good price - otherwise I wouldn't have gone after it. As mentioned, the Floor is my #1 with the Stomp a very close second and Gigboard a distant third. It's good - but I prefer the Helix platform overall.
It is tough because the Pod Go is probably a better choice, but like I said I have 5 gigs this month to get through (2 acoustic - oddly in great rooms on big stages, big PA) and I really need a streamlined solution which the Iridium based board is not.
But April is super dry right now... best course of action is to probably just wait.

dmock66

It is tough because the Pod Go is probably a better choice, but like I said I have 5 gigs this month to get through (2 acoustic - oddly in great rooms on big stages, big PA) and I really need a streamlined solution which the Iridium based board is not.
But April is super dry right now... best course of action is to probably just wait.
If you can - I'd wait for the POD Go. It looks to be a great all-in-one mini-Helix. There are some limitations as compared to Helix/Stomp - so it would also be worth reading up on that to ensure it fits your needs. I know it's not for everyone - but I can make the HX Stomp work as a stand-alone (caveat - with the 2 switch outboard pedal) - but the 6 block limit isn't a problem for me.

LolainNB

The Gigboard does almost everything right. I use a Gigboard but have to use my favorite reverb pedal in the loop.

Their shimmer is just not good enough as of latest update

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
I think if your beef with the Stomp is that there aren't enough buttons, the Pod GO would be a good solution. If you want compact with a lot of available blocks to toggle on/off, Gigboard can do that. But know that scenes aren't as powerful as the Helix stuff.

Watt McCo

There are several Ax-8s for sale on Reverb, one or two in Marketplace. Throw out some sub-$1k offers. Gig the hell out of it for the next 9 months waiting for FM3 - cause that ship ain't sailing soon.

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
There are several Ax-8s for sale on Reverb, one or two in Marketplace. Throw out some sub-$1k offers. Gig the hell out of it for the next 9 months waiting for FM3 - cause that ship ain't sailing soon.
It's complicated...
Basically I'm a continous rock start at work and people keep giving me Kudos which are rewards which can actually be redeemed for stuff.
But, I don't want any of the stuff available. However, some of the stuff is an Amazon Gift card (electronic) or Guitar Center (electronic).
I already did research on how to somehow turn this into cold hard cash or connect to my PayPal and the options either don't exist or are sketchy at best. Again, e-certificate which is actually NOT the same as regular gift cert from Amazon.
So WTF can I buy from Amazon or GC???
I did a used Fractal deep dive on Guitar Center and don't see any AX8's floating around. And if it's over $800-ish I'm out (both my cert limit and about the most I would pay).
Buying new to resell used is a losing prop I'm all to familiar with, but in this case it's kind of "found money" so I could take a hit IF I can actually use the thing in meantime.

It's all kind of silly actually. I just restested my Strymon rig into FX return of amp and FRFR (and both) and the rig really does sound killer. I think I had one too many drive pedals on my board last time and was getting lost a bit. One pretty major problem with the Iridium is that the null cab they offer is SUPER LOUD. And as I stated before, the FX return in my amp (Fender Bassbreaker 15) is post everything so there is literally no control (not even Master Volume).
So I have the null cab -6db (as low as it will go) on output 2 and the IR +6db the highest it will go. It's freaking LOUD through the amp, pretty close to "turn that **** down" at a gig. And in the meantime the IR signal direct into my FRFR (for testing) is very low. Of course you can boost at the mixer, but I'll be handing off to unknown soundman.
So he could be like "give me a hotter signal" and then my backline amp will be freaking BLARING LOL!

I honestly need more control if I want to roll this way...

Another option could be a different amp with a better implemented FX loop purchased from Amazon or GC, but do I really want an amp?

Watt McCo

It's complicated...
Basically I'm a continous rock start at work and people keep giving me Kudos which are rewards which can actually be redeemed for stuff.
But, I don't want any of the stuff available. However, some of the stuff is an Amazon Gift card (electronic) or Guitar Center (electronic).
I already did research on how to somehow turn this into cold hard cash or connect to my PayPal and the options either don't exist or are sketchy at best. Again, e-certificate which is actually NOT the same as regular gift cert from Amazon.
So WTF can I buy from Amazon or GC???
I did a used Fractal deep dive on Guitar Center and don't see any AX8's floating around. And if it's over $800-ish I'm out (both my cert limit and about the most I would pay).
Buying new to resell used is a losing prop I'm all to familiar with, but in this case it's kind of "found money" so I could take a hit IF I can actually use the thing in meantime.

It's all kind of silly actually. I just restested my Strymon rig into FX return of amp and FRFR (and both) and the rig really does sound killer. I think I had one too many drive pedals on my board last time and was getting lost a bit. One pretty major problem with the Iridium is that the null cab they offer is SUPER LOUD. And as I stated before, the FX return in my amp (Fender Bassbreaker 15) is post everything so there is literally no control (not even Master Volume).
So I have the null cab -6db (as low as it will go) on output 2 and the IR +6db the highest it will go. It's freaking LOUD through the amp, pretty close to "turn that **** down" at a gig. And in the meantime the IR signal direct into my FRFR (for testing) is very low. Of course you can boost at the mixer, but I'll be handing off to unknown soundman.
So he could be like "give me a hotter signal" and then my backline amp will be freaking BLARING LOL!

I honestly need more control if I want to roll this way...

Another option could be a different amp with a better implemented FX loop purchased from Amazon or GC, but do I really want an amp?
Use some of your Amazon money to grab a Moore Radar. Run the Iridium with no IR. One side goes to amp, other side to Radar.

Trending Topics