Should i upgrade my Pedalboard/Pedal Power?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Footbutt, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

i currently have a SKB-45: a big, flat pedalboard with plenty of 9V taps and three outlets that i can run my amp(s) through as well.

is my tone suffering from using this board's power? they're all 100ma taps and i'm currently powering 5 or 6 pedals via the SKB power.

is it worth upgrading to a dedicated Pedal Power Supply (like a CIOKS) and a Pedaltrain?

i have a POG2 that requires 200ma.
    a (soon-to-be) Timeline and a Space.
    and 4 ODs, a DMC-3, and possibly another pedal (Small Stone) that are all 9V, ~100ma.

2. Prerequisite

Prerequisite Member

I've got an SKB PS-45 as well. The power supply is isolated so I wouldn't worry about that (unless you're daisy chaining pedals/have wallwarts too close to your pedals).

I'm thinking about going to 2 Pedaltrain PT-2s though, but only because I need space (I wouldn't go with a Pro unless you don't travel by plane much).

3. Footbutt

yeah, i guess my main concern for a CIOKS DC-10 would be if i can use either outlet 5 or 6 to power two 100ma, 9V pedals.
    so i'd have outlets:
    1-4: 4 pedals 9V, 100ma
    5: 2 pedals 9V, 100ma
    6: 1 pedal 9V, 200ma
    7: Timeline
    9: Space

4. Hey_wilson

Hey_wilson Member

I love my SKB-45 but i think its time for an upgrade as well or at least replace the velcro

5. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

You can certainly daisy chain off of the high mA taps off the Cioks DC10. Cioks now has new power cables available, including daisy chains and "Y" power cables, etc.

It's best to chart your pedals and categorize their voltage(s) and their mA. this way, you can configure them properly for powering them. I use a Cioks DC8 on my small board, and power 10-11 pedals using "Y" power cables. And one of my effects require using 2 taps to achieve 18 or 24V(my preference).

6. twofootskunk

twofootskunk Member

I love my skb ps-45. I don't have any noise problems with the power supply or the patch bay. If you want to use a different power supply you can just remove the four screws that hold the skb one on. You'll get some more space to use.

7. Footbutt

thanks for the info!

as of now, i really don't need to upgrade, but if my pedal collection gets any bigger i'll have to.