• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Should I use OD pedals thru Marshall?

jonlarsen002

Is it stupid to run a Marshall head clean and use drive pedals?

fyi, I have a Keeley Bd2 and a Keeley Rat and Fulldrive. That seems to cover a lot of drive territory.

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
Hell no!

I have a couple of vintage Marshalls. I turn them up and use my guitar volume controls. I have a Klon, Honeybee, Greer and an Eternity.

Great tones, GREAT pallette.

Pat Healy

Many, many players do exactly as you're describing. Personally I prefer amp distortion, but no, it's not stupid at all to run OD pedals through a clean Marshall. Whatever sounds and feels right to you.

freaksho

there's something especially awesome about the right OD pedal through a clean (or clean-ish) old Marshall. a different sound than simply cranking the amp to be sure, but no less awesome and no shame whatsoever.

so which Marshall are we talking about? NMV i hope, otherwise i might have a different answer. ;)

III

Yes... it's stupid. You should be getting it to break up a bit... THEN hit with an OD... or two. Haha...

I like using the low input on the Normal channel, from time to time, for Marshall "cleans" with OD pedals. Fun, not stupid.

sgslinger

I use a Plexi 50w and a 100w when needed and always bias and try to get as much clean headroon as possible. Currently I add a bit of KinG Bee Distortion, but that will change next week. I am always changing OD and Distortion pedals. Love the tone
Ron

jonlarsen002

there's something especially awesome about the right OD pedal through a clean (or clean-ish) old Marshall. a different sound than simply cranking the amp to be sure, but no less awesome and no shame whatsoever.

so which Marshall are we talking about? NMV i hope, otherwise i might have a different answer. ;)
I'm pretty new to Marshall amps, and I don't know what NMV is.

what about newer marshalls with pedals? Any particularly bad ones?

michael patrick

Silver Supporting Member
I throw all kinds of distorto/fuzz/OD/boost pedals at my Marshalls. Sometimes all at the same time...

RussB

low rent hobbyist
There are a hell of a lot of "Marshall's"

Can you be specific? I guess it doesn't really matter. Pedals are universal devices. :)

Guitar Dave T

There was this lesser-known guitar guy back in the late 60's who was into fuzz pedals with Marshalls - maybe you've heard of him. Name was Jimi somethingoranother.

voojo

I'm pretty new to Marshall amps, and I don't know what NMV is.

what about newer marshalls with pedals? Any particularly bad ones?
NMV = Non Master Volume, i.e. 1987 & 1959 Model Marshalls, often referred to as Plexis or Metal Panels (most commonly.)

rob2001

While my JCM 800 sounds fabulous on it's own, some of the coolest tones i've recorded came using the clean channel and an SD-1 or an OCD.

Last edited:

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
Get a 2 volume Ultimate Attenuator and you'll forget about OD pedals.
I have a Richter attenuator. It was my preferance over the Ultimate/Ho units.

I still prefer to have boxes at my disposal. I use them more for tonal shaping than direct OD. Then, I do run my amps hard and loud. The way they were meant to be...

Julia343

I've run a TS808 RI through a cranked Marshall JVM on OD1 Green and it sounded great. Drive at 9:00 on the TS808. Does it get you the sound you want? If so, it's not stupid. if it doesn't and you keep doing it, that's stupid, and if you expect different results it's insanity.

Griz

What Marshall are you using?

Some like pedals better than others.

My JCM800 got along quite well with overdrive pedals; I mostly used either a Boss SD-1 or a Chandler/BK Butler Tube Driver.

With the older 4-hole Marshalls I find that they're a bit fussier as to what pedals sound best. That may be partly why so many players who gig with non-master volume Marshalls prefer to use some form of attenuator, and maybe a simple boost pedal.

As has been said, trust your ears.

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
The 2061x circuit screams for (AND WITH) a good OD pedal. I used my Fulldrive 2 pedal and so many great, great and DIFFERENT gain levels/tones using the Marshall (well, Ceriatone) as a clean base. Like someone else said, a killer clean palette to work with - the cleans are really punchy and sparkley and when you get edge of breakup from the amp and hit it with a clean boost = awesome. Then, push it over the edge with a good OD pedal or fuzz = awesome-ER :eek:

Trending Topics