• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Should I wait for the Fulldrive 3?

Dr-Diavolo

Hi guys!

I played a Fulldrive 2 in the store this week, and I have to say, I'm impressed. Should I go for it or wait for the Fulldrive 3 (details below)? Knowing Fulltone, it might be a while before it actually hits the stores. The smaller size is a plus, but are there any Fulldrive 2 owners that could shed some light on the FD2? I'm not experienced enough to make up my mind. Wait or go?

Thanks in advance!

Fulltone June 2013 Newsletter...what's up with the FD3?
Hey everyone!
Sorry for all the time it's taking on the FD3, I got side tracked with the revamped Supa-Trem ST-1 (now shipping) which now has an external volume knob with 15db clean boost ability, the MDV-3 (now shipping), and the incredible True-Stereo Supa-Trem2 ships this week).
The FD3 circuit is finished, the 20% smaller FD2-inspired enclosure is designed and I'm just waiting for the prototype metal box to arrive Thursday (hurry Tim C!) so I can make any changes, ok it, and finish laying out the PCB around that enclosure.
There are so many features I could have gone with but what's most important to me, and to all of you who participated, is that it be able to capture the sound of an Orange circa-1996 FD2.
The problem is that I change pedals at the drop of a hat, when I feel like it, and have never kept any sort of notes over the years. So luckily I have 20+ vintage FD2's tucked away in various corners of my office & studio and we painstakingly blueprinted all the little tweaks that can affect the sound way more than one would think.
Here are some of the features:
*real NOS JRC4558D chip..not the current production NJM4558
*Fulltone-exclusive Order switch which places the Boost either before or after the Overdrive section of the circuit:
OD->BOOST takes whatever sound you have set and increases the Volume so you pop out of the mix.
BOOST->OD pounds the input of the Overdrive channel and increases the distortion, not really the volume...more like the FD2.
*Two modes, toggle selectable:
"90's" original FD2 voicing. Transparent? NOT! Mid, rich Mids, Color, beautiful color. You want transparent? Wrong mode.
"Wide Ass"...that's Wide Asymmetrical of course, for a beautiful, chimey, more open sound.
*A completely independent, discrete JFET Clean Boost with a Volume control and a unique mini-knob controlling Germanium Diode "Limiting" function that has to be felt to be really appreciated! Clockwise on this knob takes out the strident, irritating spikes that occur with other clean boosts when you hit the strings hard....absolutely gorgeous feature destined to be a classic and might just show up as a micro sized pedal called "2B."
This Boost circuit does not invert the signal like most clean-boosts and can be used with or without the overdrive section of the pedal.

Fulldrive-1

I'd wait for the FD3. If Fuller really can re-create the sound of the 1996 FD2, it'd be groovy.

Chonny

I plan on buying it when it comes out but Im a fan of the FD2 and use it a lot.

vintage66

Is the one you played a mosfet or pre-mosfet? If it was the newer mosfet, I'm betting the FD3 won't sound much like it since the mosfets are quite a bit brighter than the earlier versions. Something to consider.

fieldsroyal

While you're waiting pick up a MIJ SD1 - dirt cheap and sounds identical to the FD2 vintage mode. I got mine a 1981 model for $40

vintage66

While you're waiting pick up a MIJ SD1 - dirt cheap and sounds identical to the FD2 vintage mode. I got mine a 1981 model for $40
Interesting that it would be $102 in today's dollars-pretty near what a Fulldrive 2 costs these days.
I was just playing my FDII today (it's been off my board) into my KoT and it's just what I need with my amp (5:50). The two together really get a fat sound so I'm going to have to do some rearanging of my pedalboard.

OP, I'd wait for the FD3 personally, and if you don't like it there are plenty of used FD2's out there-you'd probably make money selling the 3 if they are limited.

I'd rather have the OD > Boost option, to increase the volume and not the distortion. That's what irked me about the FD2 and made me choose the Bogner Blue instead. I do love the sound of the FD2, which is why I never flipped it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom