• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Should speaker manufacturers make some quieter speakers?

Good idea?

• Good idea.

• Shutup Fox.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Foxtrot

Most folks I know with tube amps have a bit of a problem getting a good sound at low volumes, & the more ponder it, the more I think that some less-efficient speakers might do us all some good. Most of the specs I see online show something in the range of 98 - 102 dB @ 1W & 1m @ 1khz. How about something in the low 90 dB range or even lower? There's a new Celestion 10" rated at 95 dB, but a 10W amp would put that at around 105, which ain't exactly quiet.

Whaddya think? I'm admittedly no electronics expert & don't know if it's even all that feasible or possible at all, but it's something to think about.

rockon1

Platinum Supporting Member
Seems like a good idea but below a certain level of "efficiency" I believe tone suffers. I wonder how low you can go and achieve good tone though? Bob

edgewound

Most folks I know with tube amps have a bit of a problem getting a good sound at low volumes, & the more ponder it, the more I think that some less-efficient speakers might do us all some good. Most of the specs I see online show something in the range of 98 - 102 dB @ 1W & 1m @ 1khz. How about something in the low 90 dB range or even lower? There's a new Celestion 10" rated at 95 dB, but a 10W amp would put that at around 105, which ain't exactly quiet.

Whaddya think? I'm admittedly no electronics expert & don't know if it's even all that feasible or possible at all, but it's something to think about.
There's really only two brands of speakers that actually meet the efficiency ratings for more than about ten minutes....EV and JBL....and JBL doesn't currently produce new guitar speakers anymore.

A less powerful amp is a better idea...or a power attenuator. Speakers have to dissipate the input power (heat) somehow and you can only go so low in efficiency with a guitar's tonal bandwidth requirements until you just burn up the voice coil or simply break the mechanical soft parts, because the magnetic circuit is too weak.

Maybe our resident physicist, Jay Mitchell can comment further.

These guys make a varible magnetic field coil speaker:
http://fluxtone-speakers.com/

I've never heard them, so I can't comment on the tone....but they seem to be real expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Foxtrot

Seems like a good idea but below a certain level of "efficiency" I believe tone suffers. I wonder how low you can go and achieve good tone though? Bob
Yeah, I wonder that too. Maybe hybridized speakers with 12" cones & coils & magnets from smaller speakers could work. Or weaker magnets. IDK...

I probably got too much UV exposure working outside today. Helluva nice day though.

Eric Dahlberg

What would you guys think about ribbon speakers? In addition to being lower efficiency (as I understand them, though I could be wrong there), they're known for having sweeter highs than cone speakers.

Anyway, I recently replaced a Weber Blue Pup with what I assume is a very inefficient 60's alnico Oxford in my Pro Jr. and didn't notice a major change in volume.

blastastick

The new TGP Bedroom player Speaker. For that whisper quiet ubertone that won't wake up the wife, or set off the Mercedes alarm. Made from rare DoDo Bird leather and Caviar surrounds with Solid Gold infused AlNiCo magnets. The frames are made from the impossible to find Tonetanium from Unobtania. Now your Dumble inspired amp can be quieter than ever for tone obsessing hours of tweakable fun.

Austinrocks

the fenders have a 6dB attenuator in channel 2 on a lot of their amps, hot rods for sure, probably most others, so they are quieter when played on channel 2.

tweber

Ding.. ding.. ding.. ding... you win the cigar.

No sooner than I would make a low efficiency speaker, people would miss the traditional attack and dynamics, and say it is nasally.

So.. I've been working on a variable energy speaker, where a person can determine how sensitive the speaker needs to be and adjust it themselves by ear.

That way, it's not my fault and I can sleep a little better. :dude

Last edited:

Stu Blue

Back in the '60s, high end HiFi folks produced some very inefficient speakers in the drive for perfect tone, so there's nothing silly about the idea.

Wayne

There's really only two brands of speakers that actually meet the efficiency ratings for more than about ten minutes....EV and JBL....and JBL doesn't currently produce new guitar speakers anymore.

A less powerful amp is a better idea...or a power attenuator. Speakers have to dissipate the input power (heat) somehow and you can only go so low in efficiency with a guitar's tonal bandwidth requirements until you just burn up the voice coil or simply break the mechanical soft parts, because the magnetic circuit is too weak.

Maybe our resident physicist, Jay Mitchell can comment further.

These guys make a varible magnetic field coil speaker:
http://fluxtone-speakers.com/

I've never heard them, so I can't comment on the tone....but they seem to be real expensive.
Thanks for the tip. I've not seen these before and just finished reading through their website. Pretty cool take on an old style of speaker. My only famiiarity with field coil speakers is with the one in my 1938 Gibson EH-150 amplifier. Of course, it's not variable like the FluxTone. These new ones are expensive though!

Eric Dahlberg

So.. I've been working on a variable energy speaker, where a person can determine how sensitive the speaker needs to be and adjust it themselves by ear.
Nice! In addition to the changes in dynamics and tone, how much of a volume drop will occur? When do you think this speaker will be ready?

Trending Topics