• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Should the Stones have finally broken up after the death of Charlie Watts?

If he was an accurate clock there would be no 'feel'.
His kick drum was slightly ahead of the beat...and his snare was slightly behind.
I’m assuming his playing style was okay for Mick and Keith, but maybe they’ll wise up when they get older.

Howzaboppin

I think they should keep going even after Mick and Keith pass. By now they are a global heritage monument more than a band. What Byron said about the Coliseum could be applied to them:

While stands the Coliseum, Rome shall stand;
When falls the Coliseum, Rome shall fall;
And when Rome falls—the World.

Crossing fingers, the beat will go on, whether Charlie is at the skins or some faceless replacement.

SlideGuy123

Good point. But maybe they should hang it up as well? Glen Fry was a huge loss and the cornerstone of that band IMO.
At this point, it’s Don Henley and friends, or an Eagles tribute band, although I suppose you could make the case that Walsh and Timothy B are integral to the sound. In any case, I imagine everyone but Henley is getting paid as a hired hand.

dn612

How come some bands like Zeppelin just call it quits and bands like the Stones just cant?
The Stones carrying on beyond all reason has been an integral part of their "brand" for longer than most bands have even existed. I remember people theorizing that Keith was getting blood transfusions to make it through the Steel Wheels tour 30 years ago. Common sense should have nothing to do with this calculation.

Will V.

Silver Supporting Member
Some people just don't have it in them to quit, no matter what. I suspect Mick and Keith both fit this description.

zekmoe

Gold Supporting Member
Their catalog of songs is so large and well known the could play a five hour gig and you’d know every tune.
Nothing wrong with playing for a living and enjoying it and getting payed well.

bignick

I sort of think they should call it quits before Mick or Keith die and they’re forced to, but there’s too much at stake financially for them to just quit. I’d say a lot of their crew have been with them a long, long time and it would be terrible for them for their job to just go up in smoke overnight. It’s gonna happen eventually I suppose, but no need to expedite it.

Iplaypearldrums

I’ve seen the Stones on their Voodoo Lounge, and Bridges to Babylon tour. I have tickets for the Los Angeles tour date on this current tour.

At this point, it’s just go for the sake of saying “I saw The Rolling Stones.”
Me too, but ACDC instead, lol.

Iplaypearldrums

I like a lot of the Rolling Stones music, particularly with Brian Jones. Anyway, I couldn't imagine paying any amount of money or expending any time to go see them. But if they can generate enough enthusiasm for people to spend their time and money to go see them, and they still want to do it (I keep saying 'they', it's just Jagger/ Richards) then what the hell, go for it. I mean they keep putting out these sequels to movies like 'Fast and Furious #45' at this point, and people still line up and pay their money, so let the masses keep shoveling it down, if there are up for the shoveling.
If your blood type matches Keith's and you donate a bag, you can get 1/2 price admission. LOL

Route67

The Stones carrying on beyond all reason has been an integral part of their "brand" for longer than most bands have even existed. I remember people theorizing that Keith was getting blood transfusions to make it through the Steel Wheels tour 30 years ago. Common sense should have nothing to do with this calculation.
Sounds like the plan now is carry on beyond any remaining original members, keep “tribute” out of the title, all as a future investment. The rock’n’roll establishment has come home.

Iplaypearldrums

I often surmise that, when you're that rich, you need to keep making big money to keep you in the lifestyle you're accustomed to.
That is probably critical.... Or maintain a low level lifestyle, when off the road, and out of the public eye. That way in the event of a failed recording, there isn't much of a major lifestyle change.
Anyone remember MC Hammer??
I saw him preaching somewhere.

Iplaypearldrums

Their catalog of songs is so large and well known the could play a five hour gig and you’d know every tune.
Nothing wrong with playing for a living and enjoying it and getting payed well.
That sure beats doing electrical work, in a phosphate plant where it's 85 90 100°.... The drummer from Def Leppard said when in an interview that when he talked to his parents about playing music, they said if it never worked, he could always work in a factory in England.
That was my approach in the '80s .
I personally have greater satisfaction out of a good recording that I worked on than a multi-billion dollar project (shell oil) where I was just another peon, disposable.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom