Should you remove tubes when shipping an amplifier?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by green72, Dec 22, 2009.

1. green72

green72 Member

I've heard this, and was wondering if this is true.

I can see maybe the power tubes, but the pre-amp tubes?

Anybody know for sure?

2. mbratch

mbratch Member

I always do. I had one case where tubes came out when I didn't. That was enough for me not to chance it. I take them out, wrap them separately in something soft and box them. I also provide labeling or instructions on where they go. I've had tubes pop out even when tube retainers were in place.

3. charveldan

charveldan Senior Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul
    I never do, and haven't had problems, but i don't ship alot.:horse

4. chervokas

chervokas Member

Definitely pull the tubes and bubble wrap 'em seperately. I too have had tubes pop out and break when shipping. Why chance it?

5. Luke

Luke Senior Member

Amp companies do not pull the tubes when they ship new product. Chances are the receiver puts them in wrong, bends a pin or drops and breaks one more than they fly out. Better off filling the void with bubble wrap or foam IMO.

6. small axe

small axe Member

my thoughts as well

7. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

It depends upon the amp and how the tubes are held in place. From what I've seen there would be more to gain by blocking the power transformer against the cabinet. It's the heavy components like transformers and speakers that appear to cause most of the problems.

8. wyatt

wyatt Member

A store can ship any amp received in broken condition back for full refund, no questions asked, and the amp company either refurbishes it or throws it out and writes it off their earnings. Plus, they ship with dedicated stock delivery companies in specially crafted double boxes; not USPS, Fedex or UPS.

There is a reason several stores won't ship amps at all. Getting them to the customer is far more dangerous than receiving them from the distributor.

I pull all tubes and wrap them individually. And any cabinet gets double boxed correctly. It can cost me $60+ to ship an amp as well as the amp company ships theirs, and it costs them pennies.

9. remocity

remocity Supporting Member

10. green72

green72 Member

This seems like the best idea if the only reason to remove them and wrap them is to keep them from being damaged from somehow coming loose and falling out.

I don't see how they'd fall out, but if they some how did, having bubble wrap or news paper in there would stop that.

11. es125luv

es125luv Member

I myself have had more incidents when shipping an amp with the tubes pulled out. With EL84 amps that use the same pin config as preamp tubes you run a small risk of a buyer installing the tubes incorrectly if they are not careful.

I leave them in.

12. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

13. WesKuhnley

WesKuhnley Member

Remove power tubes always. Only remove pre-amp tubes if they are not enclosed in metal, spring-loaded shields. Pack the power tubes into bubble wrap in the cavity of the head or combo, so they are easily found, and not crushed by the amp.

14. TTripp

TTripp Member

Only time I ever had a tube damaged in shipping was when it was removed and bubble-wrapped.

15. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

That was my thought on it especially if the tubes have retaining straps or those grippers at the base. Remember, in the 40's and 50's they ran tube gear in fighter planes. Tubes are pretty sturdy actually.

I've seen pictures of amps where they got slammed so hard that the chassis distorted (wrong kind of distortion huh?). Blocking the transformers is really crucial but cabinets can crack etc etc. Let's just hope for the best.

16. Ishmael8765678

Ishmael8765678 Member

yea...you probably should since they're glass and the ups guys normally throw stuff around carelessly. it's not worth having to replace them.

17. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Absolutely! I've never had a problem when wrapping the tubes in bubble wrap. I recently shipped an amp leaving the tubes in place at the buyer's request and two tubes were damaged.

I say wrap them up!

18. waggclan

waggclan Par 4 Holer Gold Supporting Member

My experience is that some amp manufacturers remove the tubes and ship seperately and others do not. Nick Greer removes the tubes and ships seperate, Komet ships with the tubes still in the amplifier. Both amps, and tubes, arrived intact. The one thing they have in common; FedEx... :dunno

19. skunx

skunx Member

This

20. motis1953

motis1953 Member

If the tubes have retainers I'll usually leave them in. If they don't, I'll see how the tension is on the sockets. If the sockets are loose even on one tube, I'll bubblewrap the whole bunch of them. If they're tight in the sockets I've never had a problem. The biggest cause of tube damage is usually from an AC cord that's flopping around. I generally wind that up and tape it outside the amp in the packing. Another thing I do if I bubblewrap the tubes is to roll them up IN ORDER from right to left and send a note to the buyer explaining that to insure he knows to replace them. A lot of amps will have several 12A*7 tubes that could be put in the wrong spots. You have to pack the amp to be able to withstand being dropped from the back of a pickup truck onto a cement floor at bare minimum. If there's a way for them to f**k up your package, they'll find a way.