Shoulder problems...Chambered Les Paul, ES 339 etc.

Seegs

In 2007 I bought an amazing R8 which now belongs to forumite Johan...had Tom Holmes pickups in it and it was amazing...best guitar I've ever had...later on that year I developed some serious shoulder problems and had to sell my LP, 335 and Strat all over 8lbs.

I bought 3 tele all were 7lbs or less and was in considerable pain after playing them while standing...I have been lifting weights regularly and my shoulder can now tolerate guitars that are about 7lbs or less and stand and play without pain...any heavier and the throbbing starts...

I have finally decided to stay with the Underwood as my goto...have sold my GVCG BG and am close to selling my Thinline...

I want that Les Paul sound back in my life but can't handle the 8.5lbs that my old R8 weighed...

I am starting to think about a replacement guitar for that Les Paul sound and was thinking that a 339 has some Les Paul in it but after playing a few I wasn't compelled to take one home...

On to my latest idea...what about the Chambered Les Pauls? Do I need to get a VOS version ( about $5100 over here) or are there some cheaper versions that sound great and are less than 7lbs.?

Anyone with any chambered les Pauls care to comment on which ones are desireable and how they sound compared to solid bodied bretheren?

Chow,
Seegs

RGB

Silver Supporting Member
No experience with the LP's, but sure had the pain from a very heavy ash Tele. I rigged up a guitar strap out of 2 straps connected together that went over both shoulders and re-distributed the weight more to the right side, depending on where they were connected together. It really worked great for me.

Taylor 339

I have dealt with two frozen shoulders in the last two years. Went through rehab and the whole bit. They are better but still sore.

The reason I'm able to play my 12 pound 80 LP Deluxe is my strap. I bought a 2.5 inch Moody. We had a 2 hour practice last night. Never once was I the slightest bit uncomfortable. The hardest part for me and my shoulders is lifting up the guitar to put it over my shoulders and take it off. IMO the strap makes all the difference with a heavy guitar.

BTW, I also play a 339 and with the Moody strap, it feels featherlite.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
I don't think you'll get a 7 pound Les Paul, even a chambered one. I don't think you'd get a 335 that light either. Have you considered an SG?

The PRS Mira and Starla are good ideas too.

V-Type

If you can find a Gibson The Paul they are great low weight LP's but have the traditional carved top and very similar tonal vibe too the heavyweight LP's and about as thick as a SG maybe a tad slimmer.
Mine weighs barely 6lbs yet sounds like the Studio and Classics.
No binding or trap inlays but the layout is all LP and the neck is more LP 60's.
I got mine for under $500 and it kills the newer LP and SG specials imo.

sidekick

Silver Supporting Member
In 2007 I bought an amazing R8 which now belongs to forumite Johan...had Tom Holmes pickups in it and it was amazing...best guitar I've ever had...later on that year I developed some serious shoulder problems and had to sell my LP, 335 and Strat all over 8lbs.

I bought 3 tele all were 7lbs or less and was in considerable pain after playing them while standing...I have been lifting weights regularly and my shoulder can now tolerate guitars that are about 7lbs or less and stand and play without pain...any heavier and the throbbing starts...

I have finally decided to stay with the Underwood as my goto...have sold my GVCG BG and am close to selling my Thinline...

I want that Les Paul sound back in my life but can't handle the 8.5lbs that my old R8 weighed...

I am starting to think about a replacement guitar for that Les Paul sound and was thinking that a 339 has some Les Paul in it but after playing a few I wasn't compelled to take one home...

On to my latest idea...what about the Chambered Les Pauls? Do I need to get a VOS version ( about $5100 over here) or are there some cheaper versions that sound great and are less than 7lbs.?

Anyone with any chambered les Pauls care to comment on which ones are desireable and how they sound compared to solid bodied bretheren?

Chow,
Seegs
Am a big fan of Chambered Les Pauls and have a CR4 and CR0... Both are a tad over 7 lbs. Really great guitars and IMO the best thing to have come out of the Gibson Custom shop over the last 5 years. Many believe they are more "airey" and sound more like the originals... Ed King seems to think so.

AFAIK and if you 'hunt around', you should be able to pick up a used Custom Shop CR8, (they have flame tops also) for circa $2800 - $3200 ish... Another option you might consider is a Fender CS Thinline Tele with the 'Nocaster' big neck... They are usually well under 7 lbs... Perhaps not quite the LP sound but Jimmy Page did well enough with a Tele prior to his LP Burst... ;-)

Seegs

Am a big fan of Chambered Les Pauls and have a CR4 and CR0... Both are a tad over 7 lbs. Really great guitars and IMO the best thing to have come out of the Gibson Custom shop over the last 5 years. Many believe they are more "airey" and sound more like the originals... Ed King seems to think so.

AFAIK and if you 'hunt around', you should be able to pick up a used Custom Shop CR8, (they have flame tops also) for circa $2800 - $3200 ish... Another option you might consider is a Fender CS Thinline Tele with the 'Nocaster' big neck... They are usually well under 7 lbs... Perhaps not quite the LP sound but Jimmy Page did well enough with a Tele prior to his LP Burst... ;-)
Thanks for the stap ideas guys...I use a comfort strap on my tele and have a a few leather Levis straps...tried that double shoulder orthopedic strap but I felt weird using it so I don't...

What I've noticed is that f the guitar is around 7lbs or less it doesn't matter what strap I use there is no pain...muscle soreness yes but I can live with that...I owe that to diligent weight training...if I miss a day I feel it...so I try not to...

SK...thx...I actually have an amazing GVCG Thinline that weighs about 6lbs or less and has an Ellis broadcaster which when the tone knob is rolled down sounds like a big fat P-90...It doesn't get much airtime because of my Underwood...I have an offer on it and if I sell it I'm going to try and find a chambered Les Paul as I miss having the girth of the LP...if it doesn't sell then I will keep it and a tricked out 339 will be in my sights...

CR8 would be great and maybe a CR4 or CR6 would be the ticket...

Question is are these VOS versions or are there any other standard versions that also sound great?

GCDEF...thx...I've briefly thought about SGs...that might work as well...anyone know what the tonal difference between Mahogany and Korina (about $800 more)?...BJ...thx...I tend to shy away from PRS after having owned two Custom 10 tops...amazing playing guitars but they didn't excite me tonally...maybe the new generation is better...I'll check them out on Friday...

Chow,
Seegs

Takeaway

I have a chambered 59 and it weighs in a little over 7lbs.

Over the last few years I've had quite a few nice R9s of different guises and (but for one Murphy), I've sold them all and am keeping the chambered 59. Aside from being comfortable to play, sonically I'd have to echo what Sidekick says, less 'compressed' than the others, very open and airy sounding. Loud acoustically too!

As for VOS, thats just the finish; I'm sure there are gloss versions around and I know Murphy aged a handful. My 59 is a VOS, but I've polished it up and now its very shiny.

Good luck with the search!

Seegs

Thx Takeaway...what about the LP Supreme which is also chambered but retails for about 1200€ less than a flamed R8?

VOS is a finish but didn't they use lighter better quality wood as well? Murphy's are just the relicing process which go for big bucks...right?

I'm just trying to see if I need to lay out 5grand for a historic version or if others will do...not many used ones here in Germany...it's almost cheaper for me to fly over and pick one up in the US and fly back...don't really want to buy one sight unseen and I'm willing to travel to do it...

Although...with no access panel swapping out pickups on a Supreme is going to be 335 tough...

Chow,
Seegs

Takeaway

Thx Takeaway...what about the LP Supreme which is also chambered but retails for about 1200€ less than a flamed R8?

VOS is a finish but didn't they use lighter better quality wood as well? Murphy's are just the relicing process which go for big bucks...right?

I'm just trying to see if I need to lay out 5grand for a historic version or if others will do...not many used ones here in Germany...it's almost cheaper for me to fly over and pick one up in the US and fly back...don't really want to buy one sight unseen and I'm willing to travel to do it...

Although...with no access panel swapping out pickups on a Supreme is going to be 335 tough...

Chow,
Seegs
I think the quality of the wood in the chambered reissues is pretty much top drawer whether it's VOS, Gloss or aged really. Pop over to chambered reissue.org as there is some great info there.

As for the Supreme, I think the internal chambering is a little different and the lack of backplate would make it a bit of a pain to work on. Also, the Supreme is a 'production' Les Paul rather than a Custom Shop one (although not that that should make a blind bit of difference if you find a nice one).

What about a Les Paul Elegant? They have the same internal chambering as a Chambered Reissue, but have ebony boards IIRC. The Class 5's are chambered too but - like the Elegants, seem to have a more modern look to them. They're a bit rarer, but come up every so often and are cheaper than chambered historics.

sidekick

Silver Supporting Member
Seegs... I'd echo what Takeaway says.

I've seen, (mainly) CR8's on UK ebay and the occasional Elegant. I understand about trying one first though, but I bought both my CR4 and CR0 from USA untried. Was familiar with R4 and R0 neck profiles prior though and had good liaison with both sellers. The CR0 was costly, as only few produced. The CR4 considerably less.

For me, there is something about the way a Les Paul hangs n the strap that I love. I too, have long-term neck/shoulder/tendinitis problems and prefer a lightweight guitar now. I use a Levy's Number One strap which has an 'elastic' feel and the guitar seems to 'float' when strapped on, (if that makes sense). Also, I've read there is now a form of 'double strap' for players with upper torso problems and can find the name if you want to look into it.

Concerning a USA visit to get a CR LP, I've read on the LPF, that Mark, (Mark's Guitar Loft) will understand your needs in a guitar and give a really good 'in hand' description over the telephone. Might save you the journey...

Seegs

Thx guys I found a used Elegant here in Germany for about 4500€/$6500...a bit more than I would be willing to give out...is that the going rate or is this guy just nuts?

http://www.soundland.de/catalog/singlecut-style/gibson-lespaul-elegant-p-218310.html

Sk...I've got a double strap but it feels really strange when I try to use it as the guitar hangs funny...I may be in London on a family vacation in July and if that happens I may look for one at that time...if I can wait that long :)

Here's one in the UK for a good price but it weight over 8lbs but I've heard that many come in at around 7lbs +/- a few ozs...I think I'm gonna have to try one before I buy...

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140521915231&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I'll probably go to this store on Friday as they seem to have 4X R8CR...3600€ seems to be the going Euro rate for a new one...factor in new electronics and a new set of pickups...my most expensive guitar ever...

http://shop.guitarpoint.de/de/Sonstiges?xf855d=8891d99c85da4fcde8b62148cb2d3cfe

Chow,
Seegs

Takeaway

Thx guys I found a used Elegant here in Germany for about 4500€/$6500...a bit more than I would be willing to give out...is that the going rate or is this guy just nuts?

http://www.soundland.de/catalog/singlecut-style/gibson-lespaul-elegant-p-218310.html

Sk...I've got a double strap but it feels really strange when I try to use it as the guitar hangs funny...I may be in London on a family vacation in July and if that happens I may look for one at that time...if I can wait that long :)

Here's one in the UK for a good price but it weight over 8lbs but I've heard that many come in at around 7lbs +/- a few ozs...I think I'm gonna have to try one before I buy...

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140521915231&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I'll probably go to this store on Friday as they seem to have 4X R8CR...3600€ seems to be the going Euro rate for a new one...factor in new electronics and a new set of pickups...my most expensive guitar ever...

http://shop.guitarpoint.de/de/Sonstiges?xf855d=8891d99c85da4fcde8b62148cb2d3cfe

Chow,
Seegs
Seegs - 4500 Euro seems a lot for an Elegant, I think you could probably get yourself a better deal if you look around. Theres a cranberry Class 5 on UK ebay at the moment for £1900 or best offer, and the Elegant and Class 5 are very similar guitars.

I've just seen on chambered reissue.org that a CR9 is for sale in the UK. Nothing to do with the seller or the sale (and so idea if its sold or not), but this seems a good price for a 59 already in the the UK. See what you reckon: http://www.chambered-reissue.org/deals.html

Edit: i'm tempted myself... :cool:

Seegs

Seegs - 4500 Euro seems a lot for an Elegant, I think you could probably get yourself a better deal if you look around. Theres a cranberry Class 5 on UK ebay at the moment for £1900 or best offer, and the Elegant and Class 5 are very similar guitars.

I've just seen on chambered reissue.org that a CR9 is for sale in the UK. Nothing to do with the seller or the sale (and so idea if its sold or not), but this seems a good price for a 59 already in the the UK. See what you reckon: http://www.chambered-reissue.org/deals.html

Edit: i'm tempted myself... :cool:
Thx again for the heads up Takeaway...I've sent the owner an email...that guitar looks great...if my Thinline goes I'll be in the market...

Chow,
Seegs

SW33THAND5

I don't think you'll get a 7 pound Les Paul, even a chambered one. I don't think you'd get a 335 that light either. Have you considered an SG?

The PRS Mira and Starla are good ideas too.

i like these three ideas

Trending Topics