Should've listened to you guys sooner (4x12 content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ryno1331, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Pongo

Pongo Member

I hate how impractical they are for modern club settings, because they really do sound sweet when matched with the right head... and it translates even at lower volume.

That's not to say there aren't "boxy" 1x combos I love, as well as several 2x cabs, but 4x12s are definitely their own thing and deserve a place in the practice space!

Badtone and Ryno1331 like this.
  2. zwiefldraader

zwiefldraader Member

Fourbytwelvesaregreatintheirownrightbutinfinatelyoverratedwhenstatedthesebeingmassivesuperiortoothercabsregardlessoftheapplication.IstillpreferonetwelveopenbackformycleanerstuffandmidrangecomplexityoveranyclosedbackfourbytwelvesIhadtheluckplayingthroughprerolamarshallbasketweaveincluded.Inmyopinionmultiplespeakerapplicationsalwayscanceloutsomefrequenciesespeciallymidrange.Mypulsonicsreallysoundthebestinmyonetwelvestomyears.NowIexpectallhellvreakingloosebutthatsmyhonestopinion.

stormtrooper likes this.
  3. Gemini2

Gemini2 Member

4x12 Cabs for home playing are great. I've been saying this for years ever since I moved into a townhouse and volume became an issue. They're so directional with barely any sound out the back. I sit directly in front of mine and I feel like it's loud but it's not a few feet to the left or right.

Thanks to the recent hate, complaints of heavy, too big, out of date, small amp craze, etc...I have two vintage Marshall cabs with original speakers broken in and still kicking I grabbed on the cheap.

I never lug mine out of the house. Strictly music room eye candy and home playing.

20-30 Years ago whoever thought guys would be gigging with Princeton Reverbs and playing home through 4x12 cabs!

4. Ryno1331

Ryno1331 Supporting Member

So true!

Badtone likes this.
  5. phoenix

phoenix Gold Supporting Member

nice. I just pulled off the ultimate. found a Ken Fisher amp he used my wifes name on. "not loud, beautiful at every volume..." is the schlocky line I'm gonna try if there are complaints

RiverDog and Ryno1331 like this.
  6. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

Is this Yngwie Malmsteen? Slow it down a little, add some rests.

People say 4x12s are huge. I did a lot of comparisons and they are really quite focused/narrow, as an undersized sealed cab (taking into account the number of speakers). The oversized sealed cabs I've owned have all had extended lows and highs. Yet, the undersized 1x12s I've owned sounded narrow in a bad boxy way; contrary to a Marshall style 4x12.

I think that focus is what makes them kill at higher volumes. Too much extention in the lows and highs can turn into frequencies gone wild. That focus works.

These days, I play pickups closer to the neck, medium/low gain and at medium drummer volumes. 1x12s are best for me, but will admit, I have had a rough ride getting them tamed ... right cab, right speaker, right settings.

All IMHO.

7. zwiefldraader

zwiefldraader Member

:D
    No, not Yngwie here.
    I just thought I'd have to take less beating for my opinion here, if I keep 80% from reading it.
    :p

Regarding what you write here, @gulliver I am totally in your camp!

I simply prefer a 112 of the right size over four undersized 112s in one package.

8. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Living In The Palace Of The King, Big D of DFW
    Nothing sounds and feels like a 4x12. I gigged one with a 1972 50w JMP in the 90's, and picked up an early 80's slant full of G12-65's almost a year ago. Simply awesome.

Since I gig regularly, you'd think I'd be a decent candidate for one, since I'm in a position to play one through its entire designed range of volumes.

But as the OP alluded, a 4x12 is really a better cab option if you're NOT going to have to haul it around.

For the occasional bigger venue gig where I'm not also hauling PA gear, I get close enough running two stacked 2x12 cabs with my current 1986 spec plexi. The bottom cab is a closed back 2x12 and the top cab has an oval back.

And the 4x12 I picked up almost a year ago? I flipped it a few months later, though I kept the G12-65's.

Ryno1331 likes this.
  9. gulliver

I'm actually dyslexic, so if you want just me to see it, a mirror image of the entire paragraph is best. :D

I think part of the love for 4x12s is also the love for loudness. I think loud tone is a completely different school of tone and requires different tools. Yes, 4x12 is certainly the best tool for that job, not saying they can't do lower volumes.

I no longer go there ... ok, maybe sometimes for a few minutes ... a friend of mine lives there and my ears ring for hours every time I check out his gear.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  10. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

4x12 is King.
    I think the folk that stopped using them was not because they dont sound great, it was because about weight, size and movement.
    My warehouse is infested with 4x12s, need to sell a few, ...

Pastafarian and Badtone like this.
  11. zwiefldraader

zwiefldraader Member

No one says, they don't sound great. But some heretic folks like me risk their TGP reputation stating there being applications, when sound wise 112s or 212s sound as good or better. Can't imagine B.B. King or even Rory Gallagher, Wes Montgomery or the Edge would've sounded better through a 4x12.

Pastafarian and Flyin' Brian like this.
  12. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

I wouldn’t worry too much about reputation around here, just speak your opinion and to me that’s valuable.

13. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Never had one...now at age 72 never will.

Didn't miss it.

Pastafarian and zwiefldraader like this.
  14. Badtone

Badtone Supporting Member

15. gulliver

It was GAS prices ... no, I mean real gas, as in gasoline. People bought smaller cars and they simply would not fit. I remember taking the back seat out of a car to get it in there.

16. David Simpson

David Simpson Member

Welcome! Now try two in stereo.

Ryno1331 likes this.
  17. 71strat

71strat Member

Don't gig anymore, but had to have Pete Mather make a repro JTM45/100 TBV cabinet, and 4 Pulsonic G12Ms when I got a Metro LTD ED GMP45/JTM45 head. Was originally using 1-2 x 12 Hemp Coned JBL E120s.

Ive been using 2 x 15 Altec 418H/421A since 1973 with a 69 Dual Showman Rvb. Sounds great to me at lower volumes.

I also have multiple 1 x 12s with removable backs loaded with Celestion Creams, Hemp Coned JBL E120s and 150w Redbacks. It all sounds great to my ears. They all just sound "Different"
    I myself like the sound of 4 x 1 x 12 running 1 of the Redbacks Sealed, 1 E120 Ported and the 2 Creams 1/3 Semi Open.
    Cabinets are tuned for JBL E120s/EV TL806 will work just as well. Have them made of 100% 5/8-3/4 Birch. 3/4 for baffle if you plan to use an EV/JBL
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

18. Gemini2

Gemini2 Member

Some of the older Marshall heads, especially JCM 800's, 900's and Jubilees in particular just sound right through a 4x12 loaded with greenbacks. IMHO it's an important ingredient of the recipe and the classic Marshall sound.

19. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

The more speakers the less SPL in front of any one of them.. thus less beamy. Less hearing loss.

Inupiat and Ryno1331 like this.
  20. Ryno1331

Ryno1331 Supporting Member

Me neither, till I tried it. Like many things in life ignorance is bliss!