• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Shout out for Richter RS-33 AMPS!!

randycloud

Platinum Supporting Member
Most guys have not had the pleasure of trying one of these amps - I have owned tons of original tweeds and many Victorias, etc...but I like this one better!!

I recently bought one of these amps for a quickie grab and go and was instantly impressed. Then I had the bright idea to sell it to fund another one built on a international voltage tranny for use in Africa. I am in Africa with the rig now and have used it quite a lot over the last 10 days. It has covered congregations of over 1500 singing LOUDLY as only Africans can do, with full rhythm sections and 20 - 30 person choirs - no mic - just turn it up about 65% and rip - it is WONDERFUL! I had a Jensen Neo speaker put in it for lower airline weight and am using a Fulldrive 2, TC Delay, TC Reverb and that is all. I can't say enough good about it. It feels exactly like my original 58 and 59 tweed amps before their speakers died....

As soon as I get back home, I will have another built for domestic use. I am leaving this one in Africa for future trips - check them out guys - a BARGAIN in the $1300-ish price range new - -

Randy Cloud

mwhy

Silver Supporting Member
Right on! I have an RS-33 head that I use with various cabs; although I haven't played anywhere that needed it 65% cranked, I love the tones I'm getting at "jazz quartet" volumes! Still highly recommended.

darkphader

...Then I had the bright idea to sell it to fund another one built on a international voltage tranny for use in Africa....
Ah-ha, so you're the guy with the rush order that held up my RS-22 delivery :)
Kudos to Sara for the RS-22 as well - killer amp. AFAIK it's the same front-end as the RS-33 just married to smaller output tubes.

randycloud

Right on! I have an RS-33 head that I use with various cabs; although I haven't played anywhere that needed it 65% cranked, I love the tones I'm getting at "jazz quartet" volumes! Still highly recommended.
agreed - 65% is pretty toasty, but down here it is necessary - it does really make the tubes sing, though :) My favorite thing so far is that NONE of the awesome players here have ever experienced a tube amp before. YOU SHOULD SEE THEIR FACES WHEN THEY HIT TOUCH SENSITIVE OVERDRIVE FOR THE FIRST TIME :) IT IS LIKE WATCHING KIDS AT CHRISTMAS!!!

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
Ah-ha, so you're the guy with the rush order that held up my RS-22 delivery :)
Kudos to Sara for the RS-22 as well - killer amp. AFAIK it's the same front-end as the RS-33 just married to smaller output tubes.
Does the RS-22 have different power and output transformers? Can you please post the model numbers?

darkphader

Does the RS-22 have different power and output transformers?
Seems reasonable (although I don't really know) those transformers would be different as the RS-22 needs less power as it outputs less power.
Really a question for Sara.

GenoBluzGtr

I have an RS 22 and I can tell you it's PERFECT for gigging... weighs only about 35 lbs (and that's with a ceramic speaker in it!), it sounds VERY close to my 59 Tweed Bassman - as a 1X12, it will never push the same air that those four 10" speakers do, but it has a LOT of low-end to it - and still gets PLENTY loud. Not as much headroom as a RS33 will have, but more than enough for me.

I'm using a Brent Mason Hotwired dual overdrive and a Strymon Flynt for those 'verb and trem tones. Excellent amp for those who melt a the tones of a Tweed Bassman but are (like me) too old and tired to carry that monster around to clubs where you have to play it on 1 or 2 on the dial!

johnnyqb

yeah, the Richter RS-33 is beyond great. The $$ value just adds to it, as it is simply a bargain. To me, it makes the '59 Bassman unnecessary, plus you can carry it by the handle.

wookiefoot

Just picked up a RS-33 last week. WOW!

Now I know what all the fuss is about. Really great sound from this amp. The raw power makes it a joy to play clean. Bass hold together so well with the WGS Retro 30. This was one of my concerns that there would be a little flub. Not the case at all. Really nice a tight.

Agree with Johnnyqb. The value you get with these is amazing. All the sound I wanted from a bassman in a nice easy to move package.

Thanks Sara!!!!

candid_x

Would like to see a thread on various speakers and tone settings at some point. I don't want to hijack Randy's thread, and I'm not sure there are enough of us here to jump into that topic just yet. I'm glad to hear that you like your WGS Veteran 30/60, Wookie. It's what Mark Sutton (for whom the Sig 33 was first made) has chosen from Sara's new speaker lineup.

Good question whether the 22 model uses the same tranny. I seem to recall Sara saying it's basically the same circuit, but I have to think there's more than just replacing the 6V6 with the 6L6 between them.

randycloud

i think this is a great place to discuss speakers - I have tried several in my RS-33. Hope this quick response helps...

These are all as compareed to my Fender Bassbreaker 40 watt Twin with Vintage 30s and my tech's original 59 high powered twin with original Jensen alnicos
  1. ASW Elegante Alnico - good, but too pretty for me - perfect for clean tones - would be first choice for country or jazz - seems to have more top end than the old jensen. I have retubed with some stuff that i like since I tried this speaker - will probably re-visit it soon
  2. Celestion Vintage 30 - good all around blues / honky tonkin' tone - lots of fun. I could be happy with this alone - more mid-dominant than a tweed should be, but a good thing for many players. Doesn't reproduce the chime factor appropriately, but excels in the GROWL.
  3. Jensen Neo Tornado - STUNNINGLY GOOD AND LIGHT - My #2 pick once broken in. Doesn't really sound just like anything else, but is VERY useable. I took the Africa amp equipped with this speaker and was thrilled with it!
  4. Celestion Creamback 75 - super LOOSE feeling like a vintage amp should be - honored the vintage alnico tone (even though it is ceramic) AND the rock and roll vibes - my current favorite. Right amount of scoop in the mids to my ears to give it the overall vintage vibe...kinda miss the Vintage 30 honk, but this is closest to true old tweed for me.
  5. Celestion G12-65 - I know it is a Dumble speaker, but I have a couple laying around so I tried it - good for overdrive tones and with pedals, otherwise missed the wide dynamic and frequency range of this circuit somehow
  6. Celestion Classic Lead - I have never bonded with these - least favorite in this amp
  7. Scumnico - I don't know why, but I couldn't get along with this one either - felt under powered and missed low end in this rig....I wanted to like it based on all I have read, but I didn't
  8. EV-12L - freaking huge sounding, but too clean
  9. Stock Jensen blackbird? that came in the amp - ok - never let it break in because I was too eager to try the ASW Elegante. It is likely fine, but sounded kinda generic outta the box and I didn't let it go further...

Last edited:

wookiefoot

Really great info Randy & Candid_x. Thanks for sharing.

I'm so new to the amp I don't have a lot to add as I've only used the WGS Retro 30 that came with it.

I can say that it retains the chime I like in a fender with a very controlled bottom end. I have the bass set at about 2 and it's deep and tight. Probably to much for a band mix but solo it gives the amp a wonderful full frequency sound. When I swap to my 73 Vibrolux, the RS-33 still has the great fender sound but the ability to be less scooped.

As for pedals, the amp takes everything you throw at it. The retro 30 handles high gain so much better than expected.

My only regret is not buying the one Randy was selling before he left for Africa :)

candid_x

Sara confirmed yesterday that the RS-22 and RS-33 have difference transformers.

Both the output & power transformers are indeed completely different. They were selected to meet my specific parameters on each amp. The choke is common to both amps, those are far less of a factor in this design and really didn't need change.

randycloud

Hey guys! Saw the fresh interest in the thread and thought I would update. We used the V-30 for a long time and still love it in the RS33. However, I put a G12H 30 watt in one of my vintage tweed deluxe sand it blew my mind. Did the same thing in the Richter. I have a demo video of three vintage deluxe (. 2 with G12H and one vintage Jensen) that I can post tonight. It’s on YouTube but I have to go find it. However, the richter isn’t in that clip.

Trending Topics