Shout-out for Viking Amps repair/modification service

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mrface2112, Feb 6, 2008.

1. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

I just got my '74 Vibro Champ back from Eric at Viking Amps (www.vikingamps.com). He recapped it and blackfaced it and put in a pull-pot to give a little gain change. when i sent it to him it was noisy, crackly and the vibrato went "fwap fwap fwap". tonally it was a bit gnarly sounding--abrasive, really.

now it's completly silent and the tone is very sweet. comparable to my '66 champ in terms of tone and dynamics.

his rates are reasonable and his work, service and personality are top notch. i highly recommend him to anyone who needs amp work done. props to Mike at KCA for sending me his way.
    :BEER

cheers,
    wade

2. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

+10 on the great work that Eric at Viking amps does! He did some great work on my Cowtipper and added a push-pull bright option and it really made a great amp even better!

Eric is a really nice guy who obviously really knows what he is doing with vintage and new amps. His work is top-notch and I would recommend him to anyone.

Eric also makes some really cool amps of his own, the Viking Conqueror and the new Viking Pillager (still a prototype, I believe, but I played through it a few months ago and it was a great sounding and incredibly versatile 4 6v6 amp)...

3. deluxemeat

deluxemeat Member

i'm curious about his transformer-less amp.

4. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

he did the same on my vibro champ. really gives it a completely different voice.

he and i have been talking about tricking out my Epi Valve Jr.....

cheers,
    wade

5. BatChainPuller

BatChainPuller Member

Bump.

Does anyone here have the Viking Conqueror? I've checked out the website and it sounds really interesting. I was curious to know if anyone has one and what it sounds like, general comments, etc. Anybody?

6. TD_Madden

TD_Madden Gold Supporting Member

Don't know about HERE, but he mentioned to me when I picked-up my '66 AC50 that there are a couple local guys using them to gig....sorry, I've forgotten the band names.