Shoveling the driveway: keep up with snowfall, or wait?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by sausagefingers, Feb 21, 2015.

1. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

Getting another 4-6" today. I feel like I should get out there and clear the drive, but it's going to continue till late today.

What do you do, keep up, or wait till it's over?

2. gregory347

gregory347 Member

Depends on the storm. 4"-6" I would wait until snow stops. 12" or more I may clean some before it stops but only if its daytime and not windy.

3. newb3fan

newb3fan Member

Agree. Waiting with a large storm, especially if it is heavy snow, can make it way more work. Around 6" and I let it all fall before clearing it.

4. DanPaul

DanPaul Member

I try and keep up. We got slammed earlier in the week with nearly a foot of snow in places here in Kentucky. My driveway is almost 200' long and by the time I got done shoveling it the first time I had to start all over again but if I had waited it really would have been bad to attempt to shovel 10" of snow at once.

For me, it's a lot more manageable to deal with it as it's coming down. And I clear the whole driveway rather than just a path or enough for two tire tracks.

Damn, I need to invest in a snow blower. If for nothing else to ensure it never snows again!

5. wahfreak

wahfreak Silver Supporting Member

If you are only shoveling I would try to keep up, snowblowing?....wait.

6. Jp2558

Jp2558 Member

I try to keep up with it. Every little bit helps. I find that if I clear it and the sun comes out the concrete clears itself if there is very little snow on it. (My neighbor once thought I had a heated driveway because it was always cleared.) When snow melts in my garage it tends to puddle so I try to keep as much snow out of the garage as possible.

7. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

Depends on the day and depends on what else I have going on.. I prefer the time to go out a couple times rather than doing it all at once.

Jeff

8. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Depends.

Nothing more aggravating that to realize that stupid 3 inches has had time to go from powder to rock hard.

If it is so cold, the snow is all light and fluffy, I've gotten away with just waiting until strong winds blew the snow into the fields behind the house.

9. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

Well this '4-6' is already 6+, and won't stop till evening. I did two-thirds, but I'll wait for now till it slackens. Luckily we are stocked on food and drink and don't need to go out.

10. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

If it's expected to be under a foot, wait until it stops. You'll still be able to get in and out of the driveway if you have to.

11. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

easier on the back to clear 6 inches now and 6 inches later than 12 heavy compressed inches later.

12. D. Stewart

D. Stewart Member

No use waiting if it'll be enough to give you a heart attack.
    Gloomy shoveling while it's still coming down, but the alternative is gloomier!

(ps I have the back to consider as well)

13. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

Wow, twelve posts and we haven't got a weather report from the guys in Fla. or California. :dunno

14. retrobob

retrobob Member

Its supposed to stop around 6pm. Then I'm breaking out the snow blower.

15. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

shoveling + iPod/earphones/favorite album = joy, not work...

16. rog951

rog951 Member

It's turning to rain tomorrow - I'll just let it wash away then! :)

17. eddie101

eddie101 Member

I'm in MD too and all I can say is it's time to pop a cold one and play some guitar. :)

It will be in mid to high 40's on Sun which means all that snow will eventually melt so why bother and possibly kill your back? I may go out and brush off the snow that's on our cars - if we are driving today which is highly unlikely - but other than that I'd just chill.

18. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Shovel the end of the driveway/apron now. Around the steps too. The main stretch of the driveway.....wait until it stops.

19. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Sorry Tony, I forgot. ;) Here you go: It's cloudy this morning and 65F at 10:30AM. It's going up to 70 and the clouds are supposed to burn off later today. Our overnight low will be in the mid 50s...Now just repeat that every day for the next month, and that's the weather report from LA.

Oh and I keep up with it when I've had to deal with snow in the driveway (not here, back East). You don't want it to pile up to heart attack depths and it's much easier to deal with it 3" at a time than a foot at a time...

20. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

Big deal, that's only 90 degrees warmer than it was Thursday night around these parts. :eek: