Show me what you bought instead of a 335!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Redbell, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Redbell

Redbell Member

I've been looking at this type of guitar for awhile. I love a 335 but I'm not sure that they're worth what "The Big G" is asking for them these days.
    Show me what you chose instead of or even over a 335, Thanks!

2. Alister

Alister Member

Good question.
    I shopped (and borrowed and snooped) for over a year, before I bought:
    Yahama SA2200, for roughly a grand less.

You'll get this response more than once, I predict, as well as Heritage 535's.
    The SA2200, btw, is more in the 345/355 vein, b/c of 'appointments' and feel.

3. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

4. hank

hank Member

2007 339, playin' it right now. I highly recommend the Tokai ES-100's and up as a cost effective equivalent.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  5. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

6. Tadams

Tadams Silver Supporting Member

7. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Wow, tell us more! Like, specs, what are all those switches for, etc... :)

8. HRydarcik

HRydarcik Member

9. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

The Prospect is a 1" smaller (15" lower bout) model that's a cross between a 330 and 335. It has a block against the top like a 335 but the block doesn't touch the back of the body, so it's more "woody" sounding than a guitar with a full block.

I've modded a few things. The 3 way mini switches originally were wired for the Heritage Dual VIP system, (http://www.heritageguitar.com/Custom Features/D-VIP.htm) but now do nothing since I switched to Fralin P-92s

I added a master volume positioned like a Guild Starfire, had it made with a pretty chunky almost "D" shaped neck .875" at the first fret, ebony fingerboard instead of rosewood and split MOP inlays. Neck radius is 12", 24 3/4" scale, Plek setup and Buzz Feiten tuning system. Strung with 10-52.

Tone pros bridge and tailpiece.

I ordered it through Wolfe Guitars in Florida and picked it up at the Heritage factory. With all the mods etc it was still under $2K. It's one of 2 Heritages I have...the other is a Sweet 16 archtop.

10. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

very cool! Thanks for teh info.

11. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Don't laugh- Washburn HB 35 is a seriously nice "335". I paid $400 for an NOS with killer flame and nice HSC- they can be had for a lot less used. Stocks pups are OK but I put DiMarzio PAF Classics in. With those pups in this is a very capable axe- great neck & feel. (I do have a houseful of "name" guitars & this HB 35 holds it own just fine).

12. jpage

jpage Member

Hamer makes some beautiful guitars in that vein, as does Heritage, which I've never played as I've never been close enough to a dealer. Unfortunately, where Gibson's regularly hold 75-80% of resale, Heritage and Hamers are notorious for depreciating about 40-50% immediately. These guitars used are great deals, but finding one close enough to play in person before you buy can be tricky. And Always play before you buy.

I've played a few nice PRS semi hollow guitars that apparently come close to holding their value as well as the Gibsons, but IMO also didn't sound or feel like a Gibson at all. Definitely had their own "Rolls Royce" feel to them though. Smooth... And alot pricier than a standard Gibson.

I just looked at the going rate for Gibby 335s and they are less than all the guitars I've just named. How much are you looking to spend?

13. XKnight

XKnight Member

I did 1 better and got a 336. However, if I was looking for a guitar similar to a 335 and didn't want to spend over a $1000 I'd get a used Gibson 333, Hamer Newport or other semi hollow Hamer.

14. Calloway

Calloway Member

I've always wanted a 335, but these days it is unlikely that I'll ever be able to afford one. A friend of mine gave me this guitar when I was in his wedding a few years back, and I no longer feel the need for one.
    [​IMG]

It's a 65 Epiphone Riviera that was originally a 12 string but was "modded" to 6 and a stop tail piece added. I put an RS kit and GFS mini fats in it and it is brighter than a 335, but kicks just as much ass.

15. Spudman

Spudman Member

Hagstrom Viking Deluxe
    [​IMG]

16. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

I grabbed a Heritage Prospect from the emporium.
    [​IMG]

17. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

I was convinced I wanted a 335. Ended up with a PRS HBII instead which is a totally different animal but closer to what I wanted. An SA2200 or Johnny A would also have been nice.

18. shuie

shuie Member

A player 345.

[​IMG]

19. pennylink

pennylink Member

Yamaha SA2200. Very nice neck with smooth ebony board, split coils, fantastic fit and finish, and sounds like a great 335! These guitars are underpriced IMO, even new.

20. straightblues

straightblues Member

I ended up with a Gibson ES333. There were made right along with the 335's. They have a faded finish and a back control cavity opening. With a little polish, they shine right up. Add a pickguard and they look real vintage. They feel and sound just like a 335.

[​IMG]