Show me your 60's Japanese guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by retroLS1, Dec 7, 2016.

1. retroLS1

retroLS1 Member

I have been on a huge surf music kick lately and have been lusting after some old 60's Japanese quirky guitars. I haven't seen a lot of talk about them here so if you have them, post them up! Just to get the thread started, I've been looking at picking up a Teisco K4L as it's more in my price range right now than a DiPinto Galaxie 4.

(image courtesy of Google)

[​IMG]

morgan918 and Cactus Bob like this.
  2. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

I have a k2l. Very surf sounding. Id suggest getting it refretted and wax potted if you plan on gigging with it. The fret wire blows on these. Also the tuners. Oh and swap out the pots for 250k, they come with 60k. The pickups will come alive.

retroLS1 likes this.
  3. wproffitt

wproffitt Member

Here's my 1968 Yamaha SA-30T. It's my favorite guitar. The neck has some heft without feeling like a club. The fretboard is crazy flat (20" radius) and the frets are super skinny and low, but it's still a breeze to play. Also the pickups sound terrific!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  4. retroLS1

retroLS1 Member

Cool, thanks for the input. I don't mind project guitars like these. If anyone has any guitars like this they are thinking of parting with, give me a shout!

5. davess23

davess23 Member

I can't wait to see some of these. When I was coming up in the mid-60s the music stores had tons of (mostly unplayable) Japanese guitars, most of which were shaped more or less like bizarro-world Strats. They had multiple pickups, plenty of chrome, and more switches and knobs than the space shuttle. I often wonder what became of them all.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    retroLS1 likes this.
  6. rotaxian

rotaxian Member

Threw a set of p90's into this late 60's Telestar and am very happy - Super lightweight but huge sounding : )

[​IMG]

burns, e-flat, Cactus Bob and 3 others like this.
  7. retroLS1

retroLS1 Member

That thing is sweet! Love the gold sparkle paint.

8. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

My current offerings. the first 3 have been radiused, fretted, wax potted, electronics updated and are gig worthy. although the red is such a small scale i cant play it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Donovan

Donovan Member

I used to have this one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  10. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I've got one of those! I haven't messed with it since the 90s. I bought it because it's so cool! I think I paid $85 for it.

11. retroLS1

retroLS1 Member

I'll give ya $90 for it ;)

12. Mikhael

Mikhael Member

I had a Teisco Del Rey for a while that I left in the practice room. It actually worked, along with a Magnatone. I eventually got rid of those, and kept only one goofball guitar, my first electric, which wasn't Japanese but should have been: a Goya Rangemaster.

13. scelerat

scelerat Silver Supporting Member

I approve of this thread.

burns, gripweed and retroLS1 like this.
  14. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

SWEEEET!!!!

15. misterturtlehead

misterturtlehead Member

I had one too. And I remember when you posted that you had gotten one. Since I haven't seen many of them but both of us had one I think there is a slight possibility that either one of us could have owned one of the ones that one of the Wiggin sisters played with the Shaggs.

Mine was playable but was not a particularly smooth player. I sold it and some other guitars so I could afford one particular nice fancy guitar. And when I listed the guitar on eBay I stated in the description that while the guitar was within the realm of playability it was not a very good player but it did produce sound, the electronics worked properly, and the guitar was fairly well intonated. The guitar was bought. But I don't think the buyer was hip to the Shaggs nor knew much about what 1960s and early 1970s Japanese guitars were like. She complained that the guitar was "not playable". I emailed her back and instructed her to read the description again. I was honest.

16. retroLS1

retroLS1 Member

:D But seriously though, if you want to sell it let me know!

17. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob Supporting Member

Cool thread!! I bought this groovy little Checkmate Tulip at a Goodwill for $25 a few years ago. One of my buddies in my band in the 60's had one just like it. I haven't done anything to it and it still has the strings on it since I found it. I'm left handed so I have no intention on playing it or really doing anything with it. It's just cool to look at.

My first guitar was a Kingston strat style that I got for Christmas from my parents in '64 or '65. Wish I still had it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ferrous_Wheel and burns like this.
  18. onemoretime

onemoretime Member

Neither of these is very quirky, but they are cool none the less. Conrad guitars were imported by David Wexler & Co. of Chicago and built by Matsumoku and Kasuga depending on the year and model. They were sold under the Conrad, Blackstone, Lyle, Bruno, Arai and Aria brands and were very advance guitar designs for their time considering the guitars like Teisco were selling.

This Kasuga-built 1967 Conrad was my first electric and I have kept it in mint condition:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I picked up this like-new Matsumoku built 1969 Conrad a few years back but sold it to a collector who made an offer I couldn't refuse. Note the cool fretboard radiused pickups, adjustable spacing roller bridge and bright switch (tone circuit bypass), These were very sophisticated guitars for their time and their under $100 price.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Alvis

Alvis Member

Luther Dickinson was cleanin' out a trailer and slipped me this Teisco carcass ..with Grovers on it and a Schaller roller bridge
    Now , I might have looked it up to see what it should look like ...I might have noticed then ,that he had given me the control plate about 6 years earlier ...but I didn't look it up

[​IMG]

So I traced the patina (thx antiques roadshow) from the original guard and contrived my own
    I had a roll of sheet brass in the shop and cut a control panel out of it ...I thought it would look cool with those small Marshall style knobs . I then put a pair of GFS NY II's on it and some CTS & switchcraft under the hood

[​IMG]

Well ,it came out a proper screamer ..very weird lookin . I use it for open g from time to time

[​IMG]

20. wedgehed

wedgehed Member

Apollo Burns copy

[​IMG]

Guyatone

[​IMG]

Kingston

[​IMG]

Teisco E-110

[​IMG]

Teisco ET-440 (the best looking, but weakest sounding of the lot)

[​IMG]

Teisco ET-220 (the best sounding of the bunch)

[​IMG]