Show me your best Boutique Plexi style amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Blue Eyed Tone, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Blue Eyed Tone

Blue Eyed Tone Member

So I'm wanting to hear from the collective about amps that have a very Marshall Plexi style tone, but are boutique amps, very quiet and ultimately better.

Let me know what you've heard along those lines, amps you own and love love, amps you've heard of but don't have, amps you would love to get. And if you have samples, that is even better!

Thank you!

2. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Supporting Member

I'm no plexi expert, but this one sounds pretty darn good..

Aiken Invader Mk 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Jim Fairbairn

Jim Fairbairn Member

4. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Just curious why that's there. My 68 plexi is stunningly quiet (unless I want otherwise)

5. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

:agree Germino is it! (Nice collection, Jim!)

6. meterman

meterman Member

TopHat Emplexador ('97 model, the one on the top) - great amp!! New MkII is supposed to be even better...

[​IMG]

7. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

You're going to get a lot of different answers.

The truth is that the Marshall genetic code has been cracked and is now pretty easily duplicated.

Kits by Ceriatone are inexpensive and damn good sounding. Next step up is the Weber and finally Metro Kits-

I own one (Metro) and it sounds amazing. Mine is a JTM-45 clone. Great platform for that sound for really great money.

Then come your real boutique boys. Germinos get the Allmans thing going real well I'm told- but I bet that's more due to Greg demoing the amps in that styles and him being a southern guy who rips ABB tunes well.

The Blankenship Variplex amp is ridiculous. By all accounts I've yet to hear one bad thing about it if you can use it at the proper volume. It's a tear down design of a great old plexi with the variac as master option tacked on. This lowers the volume for stage use and changes the tone and feel a bit (most love it)- not a master volume per se but it can get quiet(er) than the typical plexi and can sound very similar to the "brown" sound.

Wallace and Marstran do great work as does Blockhead (I own one too great!!!) Martin Newall out of Canada does magic I'm told. Louis Electric is supposed to have an incredible plexi too. Reinhardt, Mojave etc etc....on and on the list goes.

Basically every builder has something voiced like an old Marshall. Some elect to change the recipe a bit- others do as much as they can to reproduce the amp exactly. There is no shortage of opinions as to who makes the best. Try a bunch and see- research like this thread helps a bunch, but nothing compares to actually hearing the sound of these amps in person. Also try if you can to get in front of a good Plexi from the late 60's with a good 4x12. Hearing that will give you a benchmark tone to compare others against if originality is a concern. There have been refinements to that type of amp over the years and endless debate as to the merits of those changes can be found in these pages!

For the $$$ we're talking about (2K+) you've always got the option of getting a real Marshall- probably not a plexi, but an early metal panel (w/plexi specs) or one that's had a few repairs and mods...and then put back stock. "Player" quality amps are pretty abundant on the used market and there's none of that it looks like a Marshall but is it second guessing that can take place if you're anal OCD type (like me!).

Best of luck in your search let us know when you decide.

8. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

The Aiken Invader / Aiken Intruder is it. Quiet and good at any volume. I tried all the others.

[​IMG]

9. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Jim, the Germino stash is awesome!

10. tfunster

tfunster Gold Supporting Member

11. Blue Eyed Tone

Blue Eyed Tone Member

Boy, I have to apologize to everyone here... I didn't set the subscribe on this thread and I lost track of it. So I've been asleep here in the corner.. my bad.

Okay, uhum, where were we... oh yea, great answers! Hmm... no mention of 65Amps or Sommatone? Curious?

The reason I mention quiet is that a lot of boutique builders (of the amps I've played) are doing a good job of making some nice improvements on the original amps they are taking their inspiration from -- making the amps quieter, with more depth and dynamics, which is why I would prefer a boutique clone of some type. I owned a nice Marshall head, though it wasn't a Plexi. It sounded amazing, but the boutique amps I've tried have impressed me even more.

I just wanted to know what's out there so I could know what options are available.

Thanks for the input!

12. oldmanmetal

oldmanmetal Senior Member

[​IMG]

Landgraff 50 Watt with Matching 2x12s

13. jw112

jw112 Member

nice!

14. Blue Eyed Tone

Blue Eyed Tone Member

Cool. It's amazing how many of these different brands of amps are out there and many (like this one) I've never heard of before.

Thank you!

15. oldmanmetal

Same guy who makes the Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive, and Mo'D pedals. Cabs are made with 150 year old pine by Bob Burt. 4 year wait now, but worth it. Best amp I have played EVER. Takes boutique to another level.

16. Blue Eyed Tone

Blue Eyed Tone Member

Cool, bring it on over to my house so I can check it out :JAM:AOK

17. oldmanmetal

I live in Roclford Il near Chicago, a little ways from Spokane. My company headquarters IS in Seattle though. Who knows, small world.

18. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

Not a true Plexi clone, but it does the job beautifully in 70s mode. (Of course, 60s and 80s modes are both pretty awesome, too.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. oldmanmetal

Love the Cab, although my speaker choices would be different. I REALLY like the slant open back, unique, but aesthetically pleasing as well.

20. Blue Eyed Tone

Blue Eyed Tone Member

In my experience, Celestion Greenbacks work really well with Marshall type amps. What would you choose?