Show me your Bourgeois'!

FibsonGender

Gold Supporting Member
Posting photos of mine just to be fair. I'd really like to see others and learn whatever the community here has to offer. Here's the story on this particular guitar..

I grew up in the SF Bay Area and starting at the age of 11, started accompanying my father to his guitar lessons early Saturday mornings in Santa Cruz. This was about an hour drive for us one way and was great bonding time for my father and I. The teacher was a gent I'll call Steve. Steve was a master bluegrass flat picker and all around solid guitarist. We'd often attend private concerts in his living room with virtuosos of different modalities of the art. It was a pretty neat experience as a kid.

So Steve worked to some extent, the scope of which I am not entirely sure, for Santa Cruz guitar company. Save that for later..

My father purchased a 97 Bourgeois JOM-V new from a local shop in the Bay Area. After bringing it to a lesson one weekend shortly after he had acquired it, Steve convinced my father that he should have Richard Hoover at SC guitars set it up for medium strings and he was adamant that it be done.
My father got the guitar back about a month later with a setup and new medium strings but he knew something was off. Why did it take a month to file the nut and adjust the truss rod? We always believed that Hoover was measuring the Bourgeois trying to figure out what the hell Dana did. It is an absolute cannon now and was back then. Watching this guy put his pre-war Martin Dreadnaught down to ask for this measly OM was a humbling experience. From that moment on I knew that this was a special guitar. It is a tragedy as well as an honor that it is now mine to share with you all.

Please share your knowledge or experience with these things if you got's it!
IMG_7108.JPG
IMG_7111.JPG
IMG_7112.JPG
IMG_7120.JPG
IMG_7124.JPG
IMG_7142.JPG
IMG_7158.JPG
IMG_7161.JPG

Cheers

Not sure if SC had a JOM model available now that competes with this, but they didn't in 97.

Edit: I totally forgot to mention;
This is a JOM-V with an Adirondack soundboard and Indian rosewood back and sides. Mahogany neck, Ebony FB..

Darth Tater

I have a Country Boy Deluxe and a Dana B. Signature that I inherited from my Dad. I'm completely not worthy of either, as I'm just a basic strummer on guitar (I'm a bass player). But I do appreciate a fine instrument and yes they are both phenomenal! I'll likely sell them one day but for now I love having them and they smell sooo goooood!

Country Boy:

Attachments

• IMGP0265.JPG
    IMGP0265.JPG
    217.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMGP0266.JPG
    IMGP0266.JPG
    212.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMGP0274.JPG
    IMGP0274.JPG
    190.8 KB · Views: 15

FibsonGender

Gold Supporting Member
Dana Signature:
I really like the DB sig! The country boy is cool also! Thanks for sharing.
Edit: To be frank, they are both completely badass. I'd proudly own either but.. that DB sig really gets me weak.
I replied in a rush while at work earlier and rereading my original response I now felt douchy.

Last edited:

FibsonGender

Gold Supporting Member
Here is an odd duck. This is a Washburn that came out of the Bourgeois workshop back in the 90s.
I seem to recall some thing in the realm of 200 possibly 300 Guitars that Dana built for Washburn.

gTGXFO3.jpg

kqXTlyA.jpg

I had no idea Washburns were associated with DB at any point in the past. It's quite apparent that Dana was involved in building that beauty! Thanks for the share!

FibsonGender

Gold Supporting Member

LBXPDX

What're your thoughts on your Tweedy Martin?

I bought it used a few years ago, three or four, I don’t recall. It was a really good deal, so I felt that if I didn’t like it I could always sell it and possibly make money, so with that in mind, I didn’t really spend and time with it prior to purchasing it.

Out of all my acoustics, the Tweedy has been the one that I am still searching for the right strings. I have had 13’s, 12’s and 11’s, PB’s and Martin Retro’s on it. I occasionally hear an unpleasant tone on the low E when I play a G chord, which is bothersome. I don’t hear it when I’m playing in the bathroom, better acoustics in there from the tile and mirror, but I do hear it when I’m playing on the couch.

With that out of the way, I find the V neck and the smaller body incredibly comfortable. I have had it on a stand for the last three or so years and I think having it acclimate to the weather has helped. I rarely use a humidifier in the room and I have the central air duct closed in my music room.

I feel that it is a great guitar for fingerpicking and can sound quite full with strumming, probably due to the deep body. It doesn’t sound like a standard 15 series, probably due to the modified X bracing made from European spruce.

All in all, it is different from my other acoustics, so it has a place in the music room. My other guitars are a 1968 D 28, a 1975 D-18, a 1976 000-18, a 1989 000-16m, a 2014 J-45 Custom Rosewood, a 2017 J-35, a reworked Harmony figure 8 with X bracing and a pin bridge, a Harmony H1260 and a few other odd ducks that are not up and running.

I think I’m going to go and grab it now and see how it is faired through the winter and spring.

FibsonGender

Gold Supporting Member
Thank you for your thoughts on the Tweedy. From what I've heard they are pretty unique. Are the fingerboards non-wood on all of them? I'm not quite sure what it is called.. My brother got one recently that I have yet to spend much time with. Very impressive collection btw!

LBXPDX

Thank you for your thoughts on the Tweedy. From what I've heard they are pretty unique. Are the fingerboards non-wood on all of them? I'm not quite sure what it is called.. My brother got one recently that I have yet to spend much time with. Very impressive collection btw!
The fret board and bridge are a wood composite called Richlite.

It is a unique guitar. Here is a really good review of the guitar.

I’ve been lucky with regard to my guitars, everything I have has been right place right time kinda thing. All deals, nothing I looked for specifically.

And thank you for bringing up the Tweedy. I decided to bring it up stairs and noticed the strings had worn some ridges in the saddle which I sanded down. Sounds a bit more articulate now.

Last edited:

Mr Fingers

Sorry -- I may be bourgeois, but I do not as yet own a Bourgeois. I'm relocating to New England next year and I expect to have a better opportunity to try some out at that time. I enjoy Dana's interviews and the guitars look great.

andrekp

I always wonder how this non-Martins are able to use the Martin head shape (along with looking exactly like one)? In the electric world there are big court battles about even vaguely copying some manufacturers look.

Not bashing - I don’t care - I just find it curious. I guess Martin doesn’t care? Would they still not care if it was Taylor or Guild doing it?

rodger

I have a couple - both dreadnoughts. First is a Vintage D bought about 2005. Adi top and Indian Rosewood back/sides.

YUQmjq3.jpg

WShSE35.jpg

A few years later, I commissioned a Country Boy DeLuxe Custom. Adi top and quilted Sapele Back/sides.

tGFq8cO.jpg

AqAaUBX.jpg

Both are fantastic. I hope you enjoy the pics.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom