Show me your dummy load

Hey folks,

If it's not too much trouble, could some of you snap a digi photo of your dummy load and post them? I'm looking to build one, but I've never actually seen one.

Also, I've read somewhere about plans for a dummy load to build, but I've not seen those either.

Thanks,

Paul

Wakarusa

On the road at the moment (I thought Dallas was supposed to be a warm place...), but if you'll PM/email me I'm happy to send along pix or plans.
That or you could just stop by the shop when I'm around and we can throw one together. Not too tough a job.

evacuated

Simple but effective.
8ohm-250watt. Get two and you'll have 4-8-16 loads.

dale-nh250.jpg

Wakarusa

Finally back in ATL...

dummy_load.jpg

Hunk of thick aluminum, 4x50W 16ohm plus a 50W 2 ohm so you can select 2, 4, 8, and 16 ohms (with between 50W and 200W power handling).

The other junk lets you connect a multimeter, o'scope, or generic 1/4" phone and set the level of the output signal. The fan below it keeps it cool.

Wakarusa

And, for the hat trick, a picture of the back and a schematic/layout kinda thingy that I whipped up in Visio when I built the thing. You could replace the paralleled 16 ohm resistors for single 8 ohm parts. I used the 16s for the extra power handling while keeping the cost reasonable. The part number for the rotary switch is lost to the winds, but it's a 3P4T from Mouser.

dummy_load_back.jpg

load_bank.png

Hey Todd, THANKS!

Paul

And, for the hat trick, a picture of the back and a schematic/layout kinda thingy that I whipped up in Visio when I built the thing. You could replace the paralleled 16 ohm resistors for single 8 ohm parts. I used the 16s for the extra power handling while keeping the cost reasonable. The part number for the rotary switch is lost to the winds, but it's a 3P4T from Mouser.

dummy_load_back.jpg

load_bank.png

Trending Topics

Top Bottom