Show me your fingerboard wear!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by BobPoomba, Dec 23, 2010.

1. BobPoomba

BobPoomba Member

Please? I really love the look of worn out necks and boards. Obviously maple is the most cool culprit but Rosewood does wear down eventually too. I've never seen a worn out ebony board though...

So if you guys have cool pics (and stories) about your guitars with those tell tale fingerboard marks, please share! Thanks dudes.

2. Pscheoverdrive

Pscheoverdrive Supporting Member

Maybe you should ask on the guitar player's forum... Not the showcase-guitar-collector's one. :)

If I had purchased THE guitar I really wanted way back when, I'm not even sure it'd have fingerboard wear on it, b/c I usually am pretty anal about maintaining my instruments. I had a frankenstein I was trying to make look rugged and worn, but it ended up breaking at the headstock, I found out the wood was rubbish, so I scrapped it.

3. GlueMan

GlueMan Member

I'll try to remember to post my fingerboard-pickwear ( I play a lot of rhythm above the neck pickup) when I get home.

4. quadrophenia

quadrophenia Member

Link?

5. danelectro

danelectro Supporting Member

1960 Special
    [​IMG]

1957 Junior
    [​IMG]

6. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sadowsky HSH purchased new in 1990 is probably my #1 axe with my Sadowsky swirl strat occasionally knocking it out of place

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. BobPoomba

BobPoomba Member

Niiiice. I really like the indentations rosewood gets after so many years / gigs. Danelec, on the 57 Junior, is that a rosewood board? It looks really light and exotic.

Man, I get goosey over worn out boards and the backs of necks. Like how many licks to the center of a tootsie pop I wonder how many notes that fret had been played over the years. Are there some parts on the neck that haven't even been touched? I haven't owned a 24 fretter yet but I just don't see myself exploring the 2 frets I don't have enough to get em worn out.

8. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

I do not see wear, but I see plenty of gunk!!

I wish I had a photo of a '66 Tele neck I bought at a flea market in the early 70's. The thin "veneer" f.b. was worn through to the maple in a coupla spots in the first few frets, and also from mad strumming between the last fret and the end of the neck! Some of those post-slab 'boards were pretty thin! As a zealous, budding luthier, in an era of low "vinnidge conservationsm", I planed the f.b. off and replaced it. It was a great neck with a thick slab 'board.

9. T.L.

T.L. Member

I have guitars that are as old as 19 and 20 years-old, and none of them have fretboard wear, and all of them are clean. They have tall frets, so my fingers are not constantly rubbing against the fretboard...

10. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

My two 60s maple cap teles :bow

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. OrangeAD30TC

OrangeAD30TC The venerable H.W.

Dude that guitar is just dirty. Seriously go clean that fretboard, its not wear.

12. Seafoam Green

Seafoam Green Member

Those two Telecasters are frankly the shizzle.

13. Sprinter

Sprinter Member

My 1982 G&L, SC-1:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sprinter