Show me your Gretsch guitar please?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tomo, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Tomo

Tomo Member

I saw many cool Gretsch guitars at Fender booth/NAMM 2008.

What do you own? How long have you been playing that guitar?

What makes your Gretsch so special?

Picture?

Thanks,

Tomo

2. ScottB

ScottB Gold Supporting Member

Mine's green!

I put a Bigsby on this one (it came with a trapeze). It's a 6118 that I picked up in Tokyo last summer.

The neck is very comfortable (nice medium "C") and you just can't get that Gretsch sound from anything else. That combination of presence and milky twang is addicting. Of course it nails the Setzer-ish type stuff, but I didn't expect this thing to be as versatile as it is.

Here it is:

[​IMG]

and some action shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. ScottB

ScottB Gold Supporting Member

...and just for good measure...

Gretsch-o-rama!

Tomo, this is from a shop on the main drag in Ochanomizu. I think the store was called Tokyo Music. They had many Zemaitis downstairs and Gretsch upstairs.

[​IMG]

I really like that bamboo Anniversary, too.

4. 1959burst

1959burst boogieman

5. JSeth

JSeth Member

Corvallis, Oregon... "Heart of the Valley"...
    Even tho' I was raised in and around Fullerton, CA (proud home of Fender!!!), the first electric I ever owned was a Gretsch Tennessean, a big orange monster!!! Bought it at a swap meet in 1969 for $35!!! Probably hotter than a pistol, but I was 18 and didn't understand that dynamic yet... to me it was a beautiful electric for a really low price! Had it for 5 or 6 years, then, while playing in a duo on a tiny stage in Yuma, AZ in '74... we were doing a rousing version of El Paso (me on acoustic) - the stage was jumping, bouncing... out of the corner of my eye, I saw my beloved guitar take a flying header offstage, landed on the headstock and snapped it!!! Sold it to a repair friend for $125 a year later... broke my heart...
    Gretsch's still look and sound great to me!
    thanks for the memories...
    John Seth Sherman

6. scottlr

scottlr Member

Been playing 41 years or so. The Setzer Signature was my first Gretsch, followed by the Silver Jet, which I was told by the gentleman I bought it from was used by Billy Zoom as a backup. I love the Setzer 6120 but I have never bonded to the Silver Jet for some reason. It sounds great and plays great, but somehow doesn't do anything for me. I have contemplated selling it a few times, but so far not super seriously. The Setzer did not come with TV Jone's pups, but I added them after I got it. It sounds awesome, but the Gretsches are no my go to guitars. They are just cool to have that sound available.

[​IMG]

7. scottlr

scottlr Member

I have never seen a Tennessean in any color other than the maroonish color, like Harrison's. You sure it wasn't a Nashville 6120? I am no Gretsch expert, by any means.

8. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

My Elliot Easton model. Made in China but is a fantastic guitar.

[​IMG]

9. frankthomson

frankthomson Member

[​IMG]

1992-ish i think

[​IMG]

in fact i just put it down :D

10. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

im just about to buy a duo jet pro.

will post when i have it!!

AJ

11. Blauserk

Blauserk Silver Supporting Member

Early 1958 Gretsch Duo Jet, serial #272727. Bought mid 2007 for about the price of a new Gibson Historic '59 Reissue. Pickups can twang almost like a Tele and can sound like a particularly sweet set of P90s. With a tweed amp, an underrated blues guitar, or you can sound like Gene Vincent or Jeff Beck's "Crazy Legs."

[​IMG]

12. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

I bought my first Gretsch two months ago, mainly because I wanted something tonally different from anything else I had (solid bodies and a semi). I found this white 6120, one of a limited run of 24. Dressed it up with a unique matching strap, and have been learning Stray Cats ever since.
    [​IMG]

13. Ogre

Ogre Member

Glowing Tubes, I believe your Elliot Easton was made in Japan, not China. I have been playing a 1969(bad era, binding issues) Country Gentleman since 1970. It has the TONE. Great woody definition. The drawbacks: tuning stability & hard to play above the 12th fret. I have a 10 year old Double Anniversary(two-tone green) that is more stable, sounds really good(with TV Jones classics) that I play live. The open f-hole Gretsch guitars feed back a bit easier than the ones with painted on f-holes, (Country Gentleman, Nashville, Tennessean) but they are managable by careful positioning of the guitar. relative to the amp. Heavier strings help with tuning issues, as does graphite in the bridge slots. I have been wrestling with these beasts for almost 40 years, and if they didn't sound so good, I wouldn't bother!

14. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

[​IMG]

66 Monkees Rock n roll model. Supertron pickups, double thumbnail markers, Bigsby, and plays like butter and sounds so sweet its sickning. This is a keeper for life, a family heirloom.

15. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

that EE is not MIJ. I think it's made in Korea, actually, not China. The pups are a dead giveaway, as they aren't real Filtertrons, and they are mounted to the rings. With actual Filtertrons, the "mounting" ring is purely cosmetic and the pups are mounted to the guitar directly. Actual Filtertrons are only found on the MIJ and US models.

16. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

17. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

My 5120 serial no begins with "KS" and is made in Korea. FWIW, I have a MIC Epi, it's s/n starts with EE.

18. Tomo

Tomo Member

Hello guys! Thank you so much for your guitar pics and input.

Great Gretsch education! I hope I can pick up right one for myself.

Tomo

19. guitarcec

guitarcec Supporting Member

2002-ish Gretsch Tennessee Rose. it fits in perfectly between my Les Paul and my Telesonic...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I bought the '64 Tennessean when I was 12 years old for $269.00...I still have the receipt!

I just love the Gretsch sound through a thumping good amp (or amps).