Show me your Jazzmasters!

wombat66

Eo39QVi.jpg

Fender Lee Ranaldo Jazzmaster with some mods

Last edited:

beatcomber

Groovy...yeah I have Thomastik 11s on a JM now but it gets limited use. Still for THAT sound it’s great.. I guess I don’t use that sound that often.

Absolutely. Using flatwounds with a wound third definitely limits an instrument's versatility, but if you want that sound, nothing else will do...

Hulakatt

Has done terrible things for a klondike bar
Gold Supporting Member
So... what color pickguard would you go for one a Fiesta Red JM?

I like mint guards but I have one one my Ice Blue Metallic JM. Maybe aged white pearloid?

fuzz_factor

Silver Supporting Member
Absolutely. Using flatwounds with a wound third definitely limits an instrument's versatility, but if you want that sound, nothing else will do...

Don't be afraid to throw away that flatwound 'g' string and use an unwound 3rd! I have .011 Chromes on my Jazzmaster now with an unwound 'g' and it's an awesome setup. Tuned down half a step, I get thump from the lower strings - and a bit less brightness, but I can still bend normally.

Heck, I even have an unwound 'g' on my archtop. Jim Hall did the same, so it's "jazz approved".

Don't suffer with a wound 3rd (unless you dig it)!

beatcomber

Don't be afraid to throw away that flatwound 'g' string and use an unwound 3rd! I have .011 Chromes on my Jazzmaster now with an unwound 'g' and it's an awesome setup. Tuned down half a step, I get thump from the lower strings - and a bit less brightness, but I can still bend normally.

Heck, I even have an unwound 'g' on my archtop. Jim Hall did the same, so it's "jazz approved".

Don't suffer with a wound 3rd (unless you dig it)!
I've done that before, it's a great trick, especially on a Tele.

Back in the day, guys like Eddie Cochran used to toss out their low E string and move the other 5 strings down one slot, and then use a banjo string for the high E.

KestnerGS

Gold Supporting Member
64 Body from a ex Fender employee that took it home for a project in 64 and never got around to it. 57 V roasted maple oil finished neck, Novak PAF Jazzmaster in the bridge.
See a non traditional thing going on here, but I never intend it to be as such. :) I ADORE this one.

Sindre

I4lZi93.jpg

My favourite guitar, by far. 1998 Fender Custom Shop, birdseye maple neck, thin Fiesta Red Nitrocellulose lacquer. This was the first vintage-spec Jazzmaster ever made after the discontiuation in 1980. Pickups are Fender Custom Shop prototypes, based on 60s pickups. Strung with Thomastik-Infeld flatwounds (12–50), it really nails the archetypical surf sound.

Meriphew

Silver Supporting Member
So... what color pickguard would you go for one a Fiesta Red JM?

I like mint guards but I have one one my Ice Blue Metallic JM. Maybe aged white pearloid?
Mint looks great on Fiesta Red. Mine came with a mint guard, but I swapped it for a Spitfire tort guard (which are awesome). I went with an unusual tort color as I wanted something different. Here's the before and after.

AXWnlO1.jpg

GqQPk96.jpg

Trending Topics

Top Bottom