• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Show me your minimalist direct rigs for modern rock

Steve1216

Just got a regular bass gig. I have a bass I'm very happy with. When I played last week, I just did bass>tuner>radial di box. It sounded fine. I don't think I'll be delving into too many effects. And I don't want to go overboard with buying a bunch of stuff I don't need (already do that with guitar). The only think is there is a volume difference between lower notes and higher ones. And my finger picking technique is not as even as it could be. So could a compressor or eq smooth things out? Anything else? Or does everyone manage to do ok with nothing but tuner? The genre is contemporary pop/rock/dance stuff.

Zakko

If you're just going to go direct, I'd recommend a SansAmp Bass DI. Industry standard.

sprag

The Radial DI box is the industry standard DI. A compressor can help smooth out the note volumes for you if you think you need it. I use a rack mount but check out ovnilab's top picks in your price range then go back and check his reviews of each to see if its what you're after.
http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/toppicks.shtml

Steve1216

Bass --> Zoom B1on --> passive DI ---> PA
Does your bass have active pickups? That's another thing I was trying to sort out. My bass has passive, so I assumed an active di would be the way to go. The one at the venue is active, so no worries. But my personal one is passive. Was wondering if the signal would be too weak.

rsm

I have both. Ric 4003, Steinberger XL2 (active) and a Stagg fretless (passive). I create different patches for each.

LanEvo

The SansAmp BDDI is very noisy and sucks all the mids out of your tone. It's ok if you like the distorted, scooped-mids sound. Much better options since the thing BDDI was released 25 years ago.

As far as DI's go, the Radial stuff has become pretty much the standard for live use. Lots of guys also use the Aguilar Tone Hammer if they want a dirtier tone.

As for the string balance issue, some of that might be technique. But it could also be setup related. You can adjust the angle/height of the pickup(s) to even things out.

cardinal

If you already have an interface and an iPhone, Positive Grid BIAS sounds great to me and with JamUP has a few FX available.

crackbass

The VT Bass is a nice pedal. The DI version is even more suited for your application. However, your dynamics problem will be best be solved by practicing.

When I go direct these days I either use just a cord or I bring my amp head (700 rb) and play without a cab.

theHafe

I use a tuner, Keeley Comp Pro, and a JHS Colour Box (pre/DI). Minimal and flexible. I'm still trying to find the right drive, and I'm considering a cab sim at the end of my chain. That's getting less "minimal," though.

Regarding note balance, check your setup and pickup height. Learning technique is obviously critical, but also make sure your bass isn't working against you.

I use a tuner, Keeley Comp Pro, and a JHS Colour Box (pre/DI). Minimal and flexible. I'm still trying to find the right drive, and I'm considering a cab sim at the end of my chain. That's getting less "minimal," though.

Regarding note balance, check your setup and pickup height. Learning technique is obviously critical, but also make sure your bass isn't working against you.
My favorite bass drive (you'll need a speaker sim for it if going direct; I usually run it into my VTDI) is the IdiotBox Blower Box. It's a RAT-style pedal with Baxandall EQ. Extremely touch-sensitive and dynamic if you want it (I can ride the volume knob like a guitarist), or you can go for some of the heaviest distortion you'd ever want, all while keeping the low end intact (or adding more).

theHafe

My favorite bass drive (you'll need a speaker sim for it if going direct; I usually run it into my VTDI) is the IdiotBox Blower Box. It's a RAT-style pedal with Baxandall EQ. Extremely touch-sensitive and dynamic if you want it (I can ride the volume knob like a guitarist), or you can go for some of the heaviest distortion you'd ever want, all while keeping the low end intact (or adding more).
I'll have to check it out. I'm currently using a JHS Kilt, and have also considered a Free The Tone Bass Blaster or Orange Bax Bangadeer.

You're right, though. For direct I need a cab sim to make a drive sound right. I was leaning towards the Two Notes, but now Neuneber is rolling out a really nice cab sim pedal. From what it sounds like, you can load a custom image via their editing software. I only need one image, so I'd be very interested!

Another vote for the VT Bass DI. I've gone ampless since the first show I played with it, and these days usually just plug into whatever trash the house have laying around onstage if I need extra monitoring. Had more compliments on my sound since I stopped carrying the amps than ever before.

I was recording last week and the engineer was sneering at it as he had a full SVT/Bassman/Cab Sim rig already mic'd and ready to go. I insisted we take a feed from the VT even if I ran into the amps through the parallel out, then set up with my default settings and a seventies P and ran through some warm-ups while he tinkered with sounds. Got a resounding "Guess we'll be using that after all then!" afterwards. We mixed it 80/20 in favour of the DI and a side-chained grindy drive into the SVT for flavour and it sounded massive.

There are probably better sounding and more comprehensive options for DI out there, but it's a great meat and potatoes rig for not a whole lot of cash. Wish the powered version had two channels!

Rack mounted Line 6 Bass Pod Pro from 2001, with a Music Man Stingray 5 string. I use the direct outs from it, and about 2 presets, and the tuner in it. Works fine for me and doesn't seem too noisy.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
The SansAmp BDDI is very noisy and sucks all the mids out of your tone. It's ok if you like the distorted, scooped-mids sound. Much better options since the thing BDDI was released 25 years ago.
i think you meant to say, "the BDDI instantly makes the bass sound good in a rock band context and soundguys everywhere are always happy to see it." ;)

yes too much gain will add distortion, and too much low and high boost will exaggerate the inherent mid-scoop, but dial it in right and it sounds terrific.

it's also not "noisy" at all.

LanEvo

i think you meant to say, "the BDDI instantly makes the bass sound good in a rock band context and soundguys everywhere are always happy to see it." ;)
I had one back in the '90s and I really tried to like it. Just like I tried to love the SWR gear everyone was raving about. I'm just not a fan. And there are so many better options today that I really don't see the need to revisit that era!

it's also not "noisy" at all.
Wow...you've found a typo. Your mom must be very proud.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom