• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Show me your MJT builds! (2019 and beyond!)

Visual Guy

Silver Supporting Member
Excellent recent posts. Wendy sent me some progress pics last week of my body. Getting excited!

I have made around 20 MJT guitars. Most of them telecasters and all of them after being set up played great. I have sent Matt pics right out of Fender books and they nailed the color, aging and patina every time. I get my hardware from Tricked Out Guitars in CA as they do amazing work for a very reasonable price. I like it better then the MJT aging of parts. I also like the Allparts necks I get from a guy in Miami. He can do any aging with any amber tint and have it look/feel very much like a vintage guitar neck. MJT likes a matte finish on the necks that does not look as good to me. I put Fender waterslides on the headstock as it is a licensed by Fender neck and I personally would rather have that then what some other builders do. I don't put together a guitar, change a small angle or cutout on the headstock and call it a boutique "T style" instrument that is worth $3,000. I think that is more unoriginal then putting on the logo that is meant to be there. I don't build "T" style guitars. I build telecasters. It is a telecaster body and neck shape. Everyone knows it and there are obvious parts of all my builds that declare that it is not made by Fender but made with parts by or licensed by them. They are consistently great guitars that work for my needs and won't break the bank.
The funny thing is Fender gives them the license to build the neck, but not using the decal and logo. As crazy as it sounds, the guys shaving a Lil something and calling it a T style or whatevs is not illegal or wrong. Applying a Fender decal, when you're not a Fender employee doing it in a Fender factory it is quite illegal. Justify as much as someone wants.

baiff

Silver Supporting Member
I don't feel the need to justify this topic anymore. I think I have given my opinion (in many threads) about this. I am just tired of people on this forum calling me and others criminals among other things. Also, the tired response of "when you die the guitar will go to an unknowing person" is just ridiculous. I am pretty sure my family would be more concerned with me being dead then a parts telecaster. I also do this crazy thing called "talking to my wife" so she knows they are not the real deal. So I assure you after the funeral and the grieving process is over she will do her best to explain exactly what parts the guitar is made of. That way no one has to think for themselves and do a little research or wonder why a 1950 Broadcaster is only $1,000.

Last edited:

TheWayfarer84

Silver Supporting Member
I don't feel the need to justify this topic anymore. I think I have given my opinion (in many threads) about this. I am just tired of people on this forum calling me and others criminals among other things. Also, the tired response of "when you die the guitar will go to an unknowing person" is just ridiculous. I am pretty sure my family would be more concerned with me being dead then a parts telecaster. I also do this crazy thing called "talking to my wife" so she knows they are not the real deal. So I assure you after the funeral and the grieving process is over she will do her best to explain exactly what parts the guitar is made of. That way no one has to think for themselves and do a little research or wonder why a 1950 Broadcaster only $1,000.
:D or my $1000 "vintage" Stratocaster with a big ol' Musikraft stamp on the heel, MJT stamp in the pocket, etc. If someone is fooled into paying five figures for a partscaster, shame on them. There are only about a half dozen or so giveaways. If you are loose enough with you cash that a decal is all you need to see to fork over collector prices, you have more money than sense.

I'm with you though. This has been talked to death. If it helps others to feel morally superior, by all means, have at it. I'll just be over here playing my builds with an f decal on the headstock, patiently waiting on the guitar cops to show up at my door.

Last edited:

Visual Guy

Silver Supporting Member
I don't feel the need to justify this topic anymore. I think I have given my opinion (in many threads) about this. I am just tired of people on this forum calling me and others criminals among other things. Also, the tired response of "when you die the guitar will go to an unknowing person" is just ridiculous. I am pretty sure my family would be more concerned with me being dead then a parts telecaster. I also do this crazy thing called "talking to my wife" so she knows they are not the real deal. So I assure you after the funeral and the grieving process is over she will do her best to explain exactly what parts the guitar is made of. That way no one has to think for themselves and do a little research or wonder why a 1950 Broadcaster only $1,000.
I have justified it as much as I want and will continue to. Fender doesn’t care enough to be concerned. A player sees someone in a club playing a partscaster with a fender logo and it sounded amazing...They later go out and buy a fender. No one ever talks about how much if a plus it is to have your logo on stuff that isn’t yours. Especially when said stuff is almost as good as your top shelf offerings like custom shop quality guitars. The drama of it all... LOL

Weathered

Gold Supporting Member
Just got this one bolted together today - it's a bit of an improv, as I had the neck already, picked up the body off of Reverb and had no intention of making it an Esquire. I was originally planning to put on a mint green PG and shoot for a very 60's vibe, but as I was parts shopping I came across the black Esquire PG and I realized that I've already got 2 '62 Custom styled builds. I haven't finished the setup, but it's very close already without adjusting the truss rod at all yet. Off to a pretty good start...

I wanted something with a bit of push, so the pickup is a Lollar J Street, and I'll be doing the Eldred-style wiring in it. Right now, the bridge is a Barden, but I don't love the string alignment so I might look to get a different set of saddles.

monkeybike

I had contacted MJT about a shell pink NOS body until I saw this body in the eBay store. My kids have named it Trashy or Trashocaster.

I originally put this together with a MIM Classic Player 50s neck. I loved the build but the neck wasn’t 100% right.
I sold the original neck intending to put on a rosewood Musikraft neck but then stumbled across this one from The Edge Strat.

I know 90% of people will hate the look of it but Trashy has turned into a family joke and it plays amazing.

Specs:
- MJT Black over Sunburst nitro body
- MJT 3-ply relic pickguard
- Fender The Edge signature neck
- Fender Locking Tuners
- Fender 70’s “F” logo neck plate
- Fender Pure Vintage ‘54 Trem
- Fender Road Worn jack plate
- Fender Road Worn screws
- Fender Road Worn strap buttons
- Fender 57/62 pickups
- Fender Aged white knobs
- Obsidian Wire wiring harness

Last edited:

Visual Guy

Silver Supporting Member
Update from the OP here:

I received some photos from Wendy last week and things are getting exciting. They are doing a custom color for me so its a little tricky. The Firemist Silver actually looks has a slight blue tint but then the tinted clear/yellowing causes it to turn kind of green. After getting some photos in different lighting, I asked Wendy to have the painter make one more pass of yellowing before final color. It has a nice green tint, but I think it could go a little greener. Here are some shots. The top 3 photos are samples I gave her for color, and the bottom 6 are my body in different lighting. (Before the extra coat if yellowing) The individual photos are after the collage. Feel free to have a look. Hopefully this extra coat will make it slightly greener, and then it will be on its way to aging and checking. Hoping for 3 weeks or so left!

Voxshall

Update from the OP here:

I received some photos from Wendy last week and things are getting exciting. They are doing a custom color for me so its a little tricky. The Firemist Silver actually looks has a slight blue tint but then the tinted clear/yellowing causes it to turn kind of green. After getting some photos in different lighting, I asked Wendy to have the painter make one more pass of yellowing before final color. It has a nice green tint, but I think it could go a little greener. Here are some shots. The top 3 photos are samples I gave her for color, and the bottom 6 are my body in different lighting. (Before the extra coat if yellowing) The individual photos are after the collage. Feel free to have a look. Hopefully this extra coat will make it slightly greener, and then it will be on its way to aging and checking. Hoping for 3 weeks or so left!

I can see why you referenced that tele with the humbucker in the neck, looks amazing and I love the unique color choice and the double binding works so well with it im sure it's going to come out amazing.

I'm getting a refret done on a 63 strat neck that was smashed by the previous owners angry wife and repaired at the headstock. Probably not to PC to call that guitar the wife beater when it's done.

Visual Guy

Silver Supporting Member
I can see why you referenced that tele with the humbucker in the neck, looks amazing and I love the unique color choice and the double binding works so well with it im sure it's going to come out amazing.

I'm getting a refret done on a 63 strat neck that was smashed by the previous owners angry wife and repaired at the headstock. Probably not to PC to call that guitar the wife beater when it's done.
Thanks man - Mine won't have a humbucker, but I think that is one of the sweetest looking tele designs imitating the 60s personally. So I had them match it best as possible. Fingers crossed one more pass of tinted clear won't make it "too" green, but I think I'm gonna be safe. They know what they are doing.

Yea, I'd avoid that name publicly... but there is always amongst friends :)

Trending Topics