• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Show me your MJT builds! (2019 and beyond!)

Visual Guy

Silver Supporting Member
After playing my SG a couple gigs this weekend, I am kind uninspired by the way it plays, even though it sounds great. Has anyone here built a mahogany Tele style, double HB with MJT?

baiff

Silver Supporting Member
I literally just got a finished LPB strat and Dakota red Tele this week, you couldn’t have chosen more drastically different colours, what did you end up with?
I haven't made a final decision yet. I may go the thin line route. If you get a pic up of the Dakota Red tele it may sway me that way. I at least have an idea of the pickups I will go with.

Voxshall

I haven't made a final decision yet. I may go the thin line route. If you get a pic up of the Dakota Red tele it may sway me that way. I at least have an idea of the pickups I will go with.
I find it quite challenging to capture red guitars accurately in photos, it comes out bright red in the photo when in real life it is more of a brick red colour. Mine is an old refin on a 68 body so may not be pure Dakota but it looks more Dakota it real life than in the photo.

Last edited:

8nthatK

Silver Supporting Member
Mirrors my own experience. Kind of a disturbing trend...
I would use them for a body in the future as long as I didn't have to count on it being absolutely what was agreed upon.

It has(!) afforded me the opportunity to try my hand at my first 'relic' job lol.

Ha ha I did the same regarding in-depth word doc, maybe gave to much detail ha ha

kafka

I don't detest relics, but I don't like them, either. That said, if I were gonna buy one, it would probably be an MJT. They make some pretty guitars.

8nthatK

Silver Supporting Member
I don't detest relics, but I don't like them, either. That said, if I were gonna buy one, it would probably be an MJT. They make some pretty guitars.
Im not a relic guy at all, but I will say this, it was *fun relic'ing the stuff in an artistic, experimental way.

I really got into it and did the pickups and everything. I enjoyed the process. I never would have done it if I hadn't received the body, unexpectedly, relic'd as it was.

kafka

Im not a relic guy at all, but I will say this, it was *fun relic'ing the stuff in an artistic, experimental way.

I really got into it and did the pickups and everything. I enjoyed the process. I never would have done it if I hadn't received the body, unexpectedly, relic'd as it was.

How did you get that pickup so cruddy? Looks like you drove around with it in your engine compartment for a few years.

I took the shine off some new Klusons for my actually old J45. I used ferric chloride. It looked pretty good. I tried shoe polish on the buttons. It mostly just came off, but they looked vaguely less than brand new.

Voxshall

Mjt partscasters are a great gateway to learning to be your own guitar tech, I get lots of joy out of relicing my stuff, experimenting and such, it doesn’t take much to get better results than the top relic guitars have, once you get your technique down.

Trending Topics