• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Show me your MJT builds! (2019 and beyond!)

8nthatK

Silver Supporting Member
You know, that checking isn't far off from my strat that was not artificially aged; natural checking that is very similar.

• Checking. This one was painful. You have two options. Razor blade across the body style, or compressed air/blow dryer style. I went with the across the body style, but specifically asked for just a little here and there and that I didn't want the entire body to be lined up and down b/c I think it looks fake. This information didn't make it to the aging guy, and now you can see from one photo, the entire body has been checked. Front and back are the same. Its super excessive. And the most disappointing thing about the entire project. :( The metallic in the silver makes it worse b/c it stands out in certain light. A lot of the photos I took were angled so that the checking wasn't visible. If I could go back I would avoid it altogether but we are hear now and the "Checkocaster" lives :)

Last edited:

8nthatK

Silver Supporting Member
It's an EJ Strat.
I don't think the length of time had anything to do with it TBH. I can't swear to it, when exactly it happened, but I believe it occurred after having to check it in to the cargo hold on a fly date to Utah.

I wasn't aware it had checked until catching it in the right light per happenchance.

What type of strat is that? How long did it take to check. The checking on my LPB MJT body is pretty intense.

Voxshall

With that color and that pickguard the rosewood, save the maple for the two tone sunburst and single ply white guard. It maybe to traditional and boring but the alternatives just look wrong for some reason.

J-PPP

With that color and that pickguard the rosewood, save the maple for the two tone sunburst and single ply white guard. It maybe to traditional and boring but the alternatives just look wrong for some reason.
The plan right now is to use the 22 fret maple fretboard neck for the 2 tone sunburst and get a different, new neck for the vintage white. That one has Dimarzio Injectors, and a Super-Vee Bladerunner bridge so I'm thinking it should have a 22 fret neck too for a more modern vibe. Probably going Warmoth this time.

ndtealmusic

I haven't quite figured out how to upload pics directly here. TDPRI made it much simpler.

Anyway, here is my now [begrudgingly] offloaded MJT project from this past summer.

-Alder Thinline body
-Roasted maple U-shaped neck with ebony fretboard
-9.5-12 inch fretboard radius
-21 Stainless steel 6150 frets
-Bigsby B5 tailpiece
-PLT half bridge with Gotoh In-Tune saddles
-Gotoh Magnum locking vintage-style tuners
-Overwound McNelly SparkleTron bridge pickup
-McNelly Stagger Swagger V2 neck pickup

Visual Guy

Silver Supporting Member

I haven't quite figured out how to upload pics directly here. TDPRI made it much simpler.

Anyway, here is my now [begrudgingly] offloaded MJT project from this past summer.

-Alder Thinline body
-Roasted maple U-shaped neck with ebony fretboard
-9.5-12 inch fretboard radius
-21 Stainless steel 6150 frets
-Bigsby B5 tailpiece
-PLT half bridge with Gotoh In-Tune saddles
-Gotoh Magnum locking vintage-style tuners
-Overwound McNelly SparkleTron bridge pickup
-McNelly Stagger Swagger V2 neck pickup

This is an amazing piece. Uploading is in the media section, then just click the camera when posting/commenting to find your photos. But insta, imgur and all work just fine. Nice build man!

Visual Guy

Silver Supporting Member
Hey folks! OP here. I installed a set of Florence Voodoo TE-60 pickups in my MJT. This is the guitar I commissioned with them and then started this thread while waiting for it to be completed. Hope you enjoy the new video.

Trending Topics