Show me your MJT builds (2019 edition)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Visual Guy, Jun 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

Really digging these two.

Bossanova likes this.
  2. megawzrd

megawzrd Supporting Member

Neapolitan Ice Cream anyone?

Just finished up
    MJT shell pink body
    BGP Roasted Maple Rosewood neck
    [​IMG]

A couple more pics in daylight. Next to my Crown Royal Purple build of years past. A back shot of that dark roasted maple neck, light tung oil finish.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  3. Triocd

Triocd Member

that’s beautiful. What color is that?

Visual Guy likes this.
  4. PosterBoy

PosterBoy Member

How hard are they to put together?
    I can use a screwdriver and I can do the electronics, I'd get it set up by a tech, but would like to give it ago myself and get it as far as I can

5. Visual Guy

Visual Guy Supporting Member

Thanks - the color is called Firemist Silver. It's a silver with a blue hue, but when you age it or add tinted clear it turns into a greenish look.

6. Visual Guy

@baiff could probably shed some light. I'm curious myself. I've been scared to drill the holes for the neck on these builds that don't have them pre drilled. Also, I wonder if the nut is cut or not.

7. grooveht

grooveht Member

If you don't mind doing a little reading online and watching some YouTube tutorials, completely doable! I think it rounds out some of your understanding of the guitar as a player as well, so have at it! I have a few partscasters under my belt and they're my favorites.

baiff likes this.
  8. baiff

baiff Member

I have assembled around 25 MJT/Fender guitars so I have a bit of experience with them. The first time will be a bit nerve racking because it is new and no one wants to screw up and have to post "that" thread. Not to worry, I asked a bunch of questions and did A LOT of research before attempting my first build. I can give my insight on this and then if you have any questions feel free to ask or PM me.

The first big question is usually will the neck fit the body? I have personally used Allparts, Musikraft and Fender necks. I have played others with Warmoth and WD with no issues. With MJT bodies sometimes they slide right in while other times you will need to sand some of the neck pocket (not the neck). There will be some overspray as that is how MJT paints their bodies. It doesn't hurt to sand off a little where the MJT stamp is so you have a better wood to wood contact. I don't know if it helps with tone or any of that but it will make the neck sit flat and even in the pocket. I use a 9/64 drill bit and have the neck clamped with the fretboard protected. The key to this and everything going forward is to go SLOW! Take your time and be sure to measure and triple check everything.

I am at the point now where I have a system down to ensure that everything will fit. I only use MJT bodies, Allparts aged necks, aged hardware from Tricked Out Guitar on ebay, Wiring kits from The Art of Tone on ebay and pickups vary by build. I just completed a 59' MJT Shoreline Gold tele and used a set of aged Fender PV64 pickups. They are not RW/RP and are ever so slightly microphonic (in a good way) and sound really great. I have no affiliation with any of the above sellers it is just what I found consistent in quality and have had good luck with.

Check out the MJT owners thread on the TDPRI for some great builds and insight on other techniques to putting together your dream guitar. Good luck and again if you need anything let me know.

Brian

9. Squatch57

Squatch57 Member

Great info baiff. My only issue so far is with the regular Allparts frets, they seem to wear pretty quickly.
    My main Aztec tele I assembled six years ago could use a refret. I play it a lot, but I can't recall ever having frets wear that quickly before.
    In hindsight, I probably would've preferred stainless frets, but you won't get that at auction neck prices heh.

10. dime

dime Member

Those look beautiful. Can I ask how did you wire the tele? I have one with a humbucker in the neck, and still haven’t found the best way to wire it 9it is either too dark and dull with 250k pots, or too shrill with 500k on the bridge pickup).

11. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

Place a resistor, it’s easy. The HB sees 500k, the bridge sees 250k. Google it

12. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

I used this Fat Tele Pre Wired Kit from Mojotone. It has a Don Mare 0038 “Keefer” in the Bridge and a Throbak SLE-101 in the Neck. Sounds very balanced. No mud or shrillness, but the 0038 is warmer and fatter than your typical Tele bridge pickup.

13. baiff

baiff Member

I haven't had any problems with the Allparts frets. I use Ernie Ball 10-46 in standard 440 tuning. If I were to ever refret any of my telecasters I would probably go with stainless as well.

Squatch57 likes this.
  14. dime

dime Member

Thanks to both of you for the info. I have a Fralin Blues Special in the bridge, and a PAF clone in the neck position, I'll try the resistor trick first and if that doesn't work I'll look into the fat tele kit from Mojotone.

Bossanova and Visual Guy like this.
  15. Visual Guy

Friday, Wendy sent me more photos of the body after it had another pass of yellowing/tinted clear added to it. I think they nailed it now. The bottom 3 photos were before, which as you can tell still looked a little gray (Depending on lighting). Now it has a slightly greener tint to the silver which is desired. Looking like only a couple more weeks and they will be shipping all of this to me for assembly! I guess it goes to aging now. Excite!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  16. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

Just take your time, measure twice, etc. It’s not rocket science and nothing you break can’t be fixed. Get in there!

PosterBoy, Voxshall and Visual Guy like this.
  17. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

I bought this used from the guy that put it together. "closet classic" degree of wear, but the checking is just insane:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

18. guitardirky

guitardirky Supporting Member

ghostrider, baiff, Visual Guy and 5 others like this.
  19. Frostbite Slim

Frostbite Slim Member

just won this body last week!

[​IMG]

noisebloom, gkoelling and Madrone like this.
  20. Madrone

Madrone Member

Question for you or others with MJT strat bodies... I have a 90s MIJ ‘57 reissue Strat that I love with the exception of the body which has a poly finish that just feels so plastic-y to me (compared to a MJT Tele I have which just feels amazing).... I hate not being able to feel the “wood” of the body. Is it worth either sending the whole thing to MJT for a full refin job or getting a new MJT body replacement? Any thoughts from the peanut gallery on this?