Show me your Mustangs--particularly custom/modified ones!

Tweedledee

**EDIT** I started this thread in February and now have finished my Mustang project. Photos and details are on page 2 of this thread. I would still love to see your Mustangs!

I've decided the next project I'm going to do is a custom Mustang, and I know what many of the details will be but I'm still trying to decide on a few others. I would love to see your Mustangs for ideas! If you have a custom/modified Mustang, or a non-Fender take on a Mustang (Creston, etc.), I would really love to see it.

Here's where I currently stand:

- 70s style body with arm and tummy contours - either alder or ash
- Standard Mustang neck - maple with rosewood board, no binding, dot markers, big headstock
- Non-Standard Mustang color: Charcoal Frost Metallic is currently in the lead, but I'm also considering metallic green, or maybe LPB or IBM aged to green, or shell pink, or ???
- Matching headstock
- I keep going back and forth on whether to add the 70s racing stripes
- I'm considering going with a Jazzmaster/Jag trem rather than a Mustang one
- Pickups will be a set of Railhammer Kyle Shutt sig pickups I already have sitting around waiting for a guitar to put them in
- Probably the standard Mustang switching/control layout, but I am considering going with a 3-way switch on the lower horn instead

Looking forward to seeing what y'all have! Let's see 'em!

Last edited:
Lovely! A slightly lighter version of that pink is definitely in the running.
It's a true shell pink, but I'm terrible at taking photographs. Either they are over or under exposed. :eek:

Oh, and the shell pink one has a Duncan STK-J1b stack in it, so there's the mod you requested. ;)

3of5

Silver Supporting Member
I built myself a parts-stang.
Warmoth light ash body with arm and belly contour.
Hardtail bridge with Highwood saddles.
USACG maple neck, compound radius 7.25"-9.5". Stainless frets. Splitshaft tuners.
Simple, standard switching and controls. I put a three way toggle in place of the jack and put the jack on the side like a tele.
Dimarzio 36th Anniversary in the bridge and Dimarzio EJ Custom in the neck.
6.0 lbs on the dot. Super comfortable to play. Sounds good and sustains well.

Tweedledee

I built myself a parts-stang.
Warmoth light ash body with arm and belly contour.
Hardtail bridge with Highwood saddles.
USACG maple neck, compound radius 7.25"-9.5". Stainless frets. Splitshaft tuners.
Simple, standard switching and controls. I put a three way toggle in place of the jack and put the jack on the side like a tele.
Dimarzio 36th Anniversary in the bridge and Dimarzio EJ Custom in the neck.
6.0 lbs on the dot. Super comfortable to play. Sounds good and sustains well.
That looks fantastic!

flume

Double Platinum Member
Yes, it is true the grain on mine near the toggle switch looks like a pair of b(.)(.)bs.

And they didnt charge extra! LOL!

Hulakatt

Gold Supporting Member
Competition Stripes are always a win!
I've long wanted to build a Fender offset with deliberately mismatched headstock/body paint like having a CAR body with a LPB headstock. I think I'm gonna go for it with my current partsocaster project but I'm using a Mosrite style body instead.

Tweedledee

Competition Stripes are always a win!
I've long wanted to build a Fender offset with deliberately mismatched headstock/body paint like having a CAR body with a LPB headstock. I think I'm gonna go for it with my current partsocaster project but I'm using a Mosrite style body instead.
I’ve seen a couple of offsets with the mismatched body/headstock and I thought it looked great. It’s a unique look!

flume

Double Platinum Member
There was one of those near me on Craigslist for ages and every time I searched “Mustang” I would see it and think about selling a bunch of things and picking it up.:D
There are still a few circulating on Reverb. I would encourage you to nab one immediately. They nailed it (for my specs) with this version. Subsequent editions switched to humbuckers and then tuneamatic/stop tailpiece Gibson style. Nowhere nearly as compelling to me as what lined up with this. All the right stuff.

deejaid

Silver Supporting Member
Saw a 1970 Mustang on the SF Bay Craigslist list a few years ago and though I never really was interested in getting a Mustang I thought it would be cool to fix up for my kids to play. Here it is as found.

Original blue paint with the Competition stripes was stripped off the body and the headstock but the rest of the neck finish was intact. Had already been routed for a humbucker so I had no problem routing it further for a 3-way switch on the lower horn. Frets were shot so I refretted it, refinished the body in Reranch black nitrocellulose, put a 70’s era Bill Lawrence L-90 in the bridge and had Shannon at Wilde Pickups wind me an L-290 for the neck position. Wired a Q-filter in as well.

Now for the last two years this has been my number one electric. It sounds incredible, weighs under 7lbs, and has a beefy, non tapered neck, .92” at both the 1st and 12th fret with a comfortable 7.25” radius.
I always wanted to be rockin’ an LP, looking badass like my guitar heroes, so go figure I’d have a Mustang find me. Funny how things work out.

Last edited:

Tweedledee

Saw a 1970 Mustang on the SF Bay Craigslist list a few years ago and though I never really was interested in getting a Mustang I thought it would be cool to fix up for my kids to play. Here it is as found.

Original blue paint with the Competition stripes was stripped off the body and the headstock but the rest of the neck finish was intact. Had already been routed for a humbucker so I had no problem routing it further for a 3-way switch on the lower horn. Frets were shot so I refretted it, refinished the body in Reranch black nitrocellulose, put a 70’s era Bill Lawrence L-90 in the bridge and had Shannon at Wilde Pickups wind me an L-290 for the neck position. Wired a Q-filter in as well.

Now for the last two years this has been my number one electric. It sounds incredible, weighs under 7lbs, and has a beefy, non tapered neck, .92” at both the 1st and 12th fret with a comfortable 7.25” radius.
I always wanted to be rockin’ an LP, looking badass like my guitar heroes, so go figure I’d have a Mustang find me. Funny how things work out.

I absolutely love it! Great work.

deejaid

Silver Supporting Member
The black is extremely boss!
Thanks. I wanted it to be a little more hard rock looking and I happened to have a can of unused black nitro so went with it. Plus, I’d seen a few pics of Todd Rundgren with a black Mustang that looked cool. For a minute I thought of restoring it to the blue with the Competition Stripes but figured there are plenty of originals out there might as well mod it.

I’ve thought of respraying the body wine red with a black burst which I think would look super cool. Still might do it but for now I’ll play it as is.

Trending Topics