• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Show me your Ovation Electric Guitar!

SlumFrog

I've been really gassing for an old Ovation electric guitar. From my understanding Ovation only made electric guitars for a few years in the 80's? I think they're really unique and awesome looking guitars, not like other models that can be found on the shelves of any music store.

So if you've got one show me a picture! Also lend me your opinion on the quality of these guitars, or any experiences with them! I would love to hear as much about them as I can. The only bad thing Ive heard so far is changing pups is a nightmare!

StratoCraig

The only electric (as opposed to electric-acoustic) Ovations I know of were made in the '70s. Ace Frehley had a white Breadwinner at the start of Kiss's career, though he had switched to a Les Paul by the time of Kiss Alive! in '75.

If you can stand Scott Grove (rather an unpopular guy around here, for understandable reasons), he is one of the few online providers of detailed information about the early Ovation electrics. He owns a few and has posted reviews/demos of a few on his YouTube channel: a '73 Breadwinner, a Breadwinner Limited, and a Viper III. They're odd guitars, but I wouldn't mind owning a white Breadwinner, even though I'd probably feel compelled to play "Strutter" on it.

OHSOFUZZY

I had a viper. The tele style one.

It was very bright. I loved it though. Wish I hadn't sold it.

Could out tele most teles. .

I too am GASing very hard again

CowTipton

I've got an old Viper.
Maple on Maple on Maple.
Routed out for humbuckers.

It's bright with a boomy bottom end.

Old Chomper

Early in his career, Josh Homme played an Ovation Ultimate, I think was the name, and it was a really cool looking guitar,

SlumFrog

Early in his career, Josh Homme played an Ovation Ultimate, I think was the name, and it was a really cool looking guitar,
Yeah I believe he used the 1984 Ovation Ultra GP. Think he still uses it on occasion when he's not using his hollow bodies. Which he single handedly made that model way too overpriced, I saw one for over $2,000 once.

gorilla_city

I have an Ovation Magnum I bass, actually for sale on this board. I used to have an Ovation Magnum II as well, but sold it a few years ago. I got into them as a guitarist moving towards playing more bass because I used to play a Breadwinner and loved the whole aesthetic. They have a lot of really innovative features: the Magnum has a graphite reinforced neck. The whole line was known for being amongst the first in production to use active pickups. My first Breadwinner had been badly stripped and had DiMarzio pickups and Sperzel tuners added, but it had an *incredible* neck, just a really great instrument to play. I did a record with that guitar I think sounds fantastic. I had a Deacon as well, but it was doomed by being *almost* but not quite as good to play as the Breadwinner. Something about it was just too nice for me at the time. The Magnums were stock and sounded incredible through an SVT. They have a perfect string tension for me, a pick player, and a real piano tone. They are, however, heavier than hell.

SlumFrog

What do you guys like better the Breadwinner vs Breadwinner Limited?

(Ovation Breadwinner Limited)

StratoCraig

I prefer the look of the original Breadwinner. The different curve of the Limited's upper body seems less elegant to me. It makes the upper rear part look like something that's been stretched out of shape and got stuck that way.

Sonically, though, based on Grove's reviews (linked above), I think I prefer the sound of the Limited with its humbuckers over the original Breadwinner's single-coils.

woof*

My 1975 Ovation Breadwinner.. I bought it new and still have it..

Ace liked them..
Ace didn't use them often if he did.
I played as opener on Kiss first tour to support the first album. Ace used Les Paul's and Paul played a white V. That is all I saw them use.
Cool guitars these Ovations, they were rare and uncommon even back then.

Dave Wakely

I used to own - and foolishly let go - a Deacon, which was not only a joy to play but a fabuluous jazz instrument, marred only by people's reactions to what it looked like. I'd love to have another.

custom53

Ace didn't use them often if he did.
I played as opener on Kiss first tour to support the first album. Ace used Les Paul's and Paul played a white V. That is all I saw them use.
Cool guitars these Ovations, they were rare and uncommon even back then.
That pic was a very early show.. Ace didn't have the cash for high end guitars at the time.. Hence the Ovation..

Jignant

What do you guys like better the Breadwinner vs Breadwinner Limited?

(Ovation Breadwinner Limited)
Had one of these that was NOS from my Dad's guitar shop until about two years ago. There weren't a lot of these made. Same color and everything. Never played it because of 24 frets and a screaming active setup so it went for an '07 PRS McCarty. Never looked back...Much better looking than the standard Breadwinner (to me)

Jimi D

My first electric was a white Breadwinner bought new from Sam's ABC Music in 1975 for $380... I could have had a used Les Paul they had for $50 more, but I thought the Breadwinner was way cooler...

Skinny neck, small frets, weird finish... I owned and played it for five or six years but it was an odd duck... I thought I missed it and tracked it down and bought it back, kept it a while and then sold it to some guy in Germany maybe 12 years ago... don't miss it anymore...

SlumFrog

My 1975 Ovation Breadwinner.. I bought it new and still have it..

Im jealous. Awesome man. That'd be the exact Ovation Id want! Maybe the limited in that color, if it popped up.

& Fuzzy, that Viper is sweet as well! I wouldnt mind owning a Viper or UK II as well. How does it play?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom