Show me your R4 Goldtops!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ToneRanger, Jul 11, 2006.

1. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

I suffered a major GAS attack last week for the Gibson R4 Goldtop.. What a beautiful guitar, and the specs are quite unique for a Les Paul with the P90's and the wraparound bridge. I've played Fenders quite a bit so this might be the perfect Gibson for me.. The other one I've been thinking about is the R7 Junior, in sunburst, what a Spartan design...

Is there anyone who's received a R4 recently? How's the VOS finish look like with the Goldtop? Anybody know if all new Gibson Historics get the PLEK treatment or is it just for the VOS ones?

Everybody, post your R4 pics and gush about your guitars, I know you want to ;)

2. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

I had one and didn't like it.
    But I do love P90 guitars with a wraparound, I got a hamer korina Jr which is an awesome guitar.

[​IMG]

3. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    What was it that you didn't like?

4. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Silver Supporting Member

Watching that new John Fogerty DVD? That'll give you R4 gas in a second.

5. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

This is a non VOS R4.
    I still say if you put a LP and Tele in a blender you's have an R4.

[​IMG]

6. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

Well for one thing its nowhere near historically acurate (not that I'm too bothered about that!!) I compared it to a 52 les paul goldtop and it was nowhere near.Obviously they're different, but this was nowhere even close neck, colour , weight or body wise.I have a friend with 2 goldtops who liked it less than me.
    It was pretty resonant, but not as resonant as my hamer...
    It had lollars in it, and (puts flameproof jacket on) I thought they were noisy and dull, with no grit and just plain boring sounding.
    The neck was like a rolling pin (and not in a good way!!) and it was the least playable guitar I've ever had.Just not enjoyable at all.It was like a big unwieldy slab of wood.My other les pauls (including my cheapo 98 special) played and sounded better.I sold it, and its new owner loves it, so I;m glad it found a good home.
    But, I'd never buy a gibson historic/custom shop again.This guitar was nowhere near worth what it cost.It looke dnice and was put together well, but played and sounded worse than average.I was glad to be rid of it.
    I had the choice of buying another historic, a junior, or a hamer korina jr, the R4 put me off buying another historic, so I bought the hamer.Now THAT'S a guitar!!
    Obviously its all subjective, but I thought my R4 was awful.I only had a it a couple of weeks.

7. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

That's nice Mr. Hanky. What year is it?

8. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Thanks, I knew they were out there, keep them comin'!

riffpowers, quite a weird thing actually.. my buddy just got a VOS R8 and my experience with the Gibson Custom Shop is totally contrary, it blew me away totally, and so did a '97 R8 I once tried. So if the R4, with the blended goodness of the Tele and Paul is the same quality as those, I bet I'll be pleased...

Mr. Hanky, you got to give some more info, that's just cruel you know ;) Sounds sweet... and looks sweet too! What kind of music you play, what other guitars/gear you have etc?

Mike, got to check that Fogerty DVD out, I heard he plays Bad Cats too, so it would be quite near to my rig then..

9. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I own 14 guitars, but my favorite is my 1996 54 Goldtop. After playing a real 54 and 56, I had to have one, but could not afford the vintage piece. I played about 5 of them back then (traveling for job and vacation across the country) to find the right one that measured up to the playability and mojo of the original 54. I found it in Atlanta, and it is very special. Completely stock, it sounds incredible and can do any type of music. I replaced all the P-90's in my other guitars, but not this one. It is RIGHT.

If you are looking for a good Gibson dealer with big inventory and good prices, Saul at Centre City Music is a recommended.

10. Mr.Hanky

Sorry for lack of detail.

Bought it last year in December, it is 9lbs. I put an RS kit and Lollars in it and they are fantastic. Most resonant guitar I have ever owned. The wraptail is the bomb diggity, very different from an ABR and very different feeling and sounding from my R7.

Come to The Stanhop House this Friday and hear it for yourself!

11. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

All the way from Finland? That would be nice!

Ok, C'mon everybody, there must be more R4's in the house!

12. sinner

sinner Supporting Member

04 R4 with RS aging, electronics, TonePros locking studs, RS Fralin P-90s, 8'14oz, loud as an acoustic unplugged, fat neck all the way down, a dream to play! The easiest guitar I own to "dial in" and find the sweet spots with any amp (love the Fralin P-90s). Before VOS but I had Rodney at FretTek PLEK her good.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

I'm a Tele player and the R4 that I had was the only Gibson I've owned that I really liked. Big, beefy neck, even the stock Gibson P-90's sounded good. In a fit of GAS I traded it away:jo.
    I'd love to pick up another one sometime.

14. Mr.Hanky

Hey, I'll buy you a beer!
    :BEER

15. JustAHack

JustAHack Member

How about out on the back porch? :D

[​IMG]

16. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Wow guys! What great guitars you have... JustAHack, what a sweet picture..

Mudslide, you seem to have an incredible collection of guitars.. Mine pales in comparison. How do you think a "collection" with the R4, 50's style Tele (now a modded Esquire, hope to buy a Nocaster in future), a Strat and a Fender Telesonic would work? I think the R4 would be the perfect Gibson for me to start, primarily playing my Tele and Telesonic right now with the band..

17. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

I just recently got this 04 R4. Its actually of higher quality than my 00 R9.
    The stock pickups were not bad, but I had a set of Lollars laying around so I swapped. I love this thing.

[​IMG]

18. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

19. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Looking good!

What's this version with 'buckers?

20. sinner

sinner Supporting Member

Well, I've heard many guys say the R4 is "close" to the feel and vibe of a Tele, so if you're most confortable with that it may be the way to go for your first LP. On the other hand, for a more classic LP experience, some would choose a humbucker LP with the ABR bridge. I love my R4 and the P-90s, but I would start with a humbucker LP first for perhaps more "constrast" with your sound and collection--then start planning for the R4! Anyway, that's what I did, the acquisition order I went with (sorry, maynot be what you wanted to hear, but that's what I did).