show me your rack

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by Alex Kenivel, Oct 5, 2016.

1. ToneLounge

ToneLounge Guitar Maker Silver Supporting Member

In response to JK above:
    Notice on the star grounded rig photo there are green wires all going to a terminal strip - that's the star point, and its connected to the main AC ground. Ground was lifted from all power cables and chassis and then re-connected to the star point.

"Is star grounding the CURE for all grounding issues?"
    Yes - it is a comprehensive solution. No - it's not the "end all, be all" solution. After doing a few star-grounded rigs I abandoned the practice and started applying the concept using the rack rail as the common ground. Start with all AC plugs grounded, chassis grounded, and then lift AC and audio cables as needed.

I'm not a fan of trying to isolate all units from the rack rail - especially if the rig will be moving (tour, gig, etc.). See above. I agree with Lonnie on this topic.

Multiple preamp sources
    I feed two preamps (amps) with a Jensen JT11P-1 isolation transformer with RC network. I mount the trans in a hammond box or the rack interface and connect it in parallel with the grounded "through" signal. The guitar only sees one "load" and sounds and feels like normal. The output of both preamps go to a loop - Amp A goes to the input of the loop, Amp B hits the return. The result is both preamps are fed input and you have a programmable A/B "preamp chooser" via the loop.

Clear as mud?

2. DieHon

DieHon Member

Here is the guy who does this:

Unfortunately I don't remeber his company website.

He was the first one I thought when I saw @ToneLounge DM4.

@ToneLounge, can you tell us who did that for you? There is a big U2 guitar players community that would be interested!

looper309 likes this.
  3. AnalogKid85

AnalogKid85 Member

If I remember right, that one was not a custom job...

ToneLounge and DieHon like this.
  4. DieHon

DieHon Member

Some years ago I saw a guy in youtube with one too. I wonder how is it possible. There was no DM4 rack available from line 6 for us mortals. I remember that back in the day The Edge ordered some directly from Line 6, but them made only for him.

5. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

You will never really know what a company has done or not... unless you blindly believe to every web "legend"!

6. DieHon

DieHon Member

That's actually one of the biggest questions inside the U2 guitarists community! It would be great to know the true answer :)

7. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

They'll never know... because it's not for public disclosure.
    All companies make prototypes...

ToneLounge and DieHon like this.
  8. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

Sharing a pic of my reworked/updated compact W/D/W rig as I'm working on the programming today:

[​IMG]

Main tone is the small pedalboard in front of the Marshall combo.
    Line out to the 5U rack for stereo effects -> V200 -> 1x12 Pacific cabs.
    Wet rack controlled by the small RJM LT on the board.
    Sounds great, really happy with the tone & possibilities packed in something I can easily move around in the car.

(ignore the closed racks & 4x12/2x12 in the background, that's the bigger rig)

9. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

What more of rack cases are those?

10. Ian

Ian Member

That is a SWEET setup Anje! I just noticed the MJM Mini 60's Vibe on your board.....I have one as well, and LOVE it! To me, it is the sickest vibe you can buy! :)

Are you using "dry" in your wet cabs?

Thanks!
    Ian

11. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

SKB Rolling Rack. Relatively light, at least compared to the Mesa racks I used to use, and they have a rear rail, so I can mount a patch bay and line isolators.

12. looper309

looper309 Supporting Member

Perhaps this was a simple typo on rumbletone's part, and he meant what "make".
    In that...case... the top rack does look like an SKB. The second one from the top looks very much like an EWI/Audiopile case, although I see no listing for a 5U on their site.
    My initial interpretation of rumbletone's question was, with all that other gear, what 'more' could there be in those other racks? :)
    Beautiful rig, Anje. I do have an MXR Micro Flanger on my humble board....

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  13. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

Thanks Looper309, love those old micro Flanger; great tone in a compact enclosure, and I may actually even prefer it to the classic "EVH" bigger & AC powered 4 knob model that I have on shelf in the bigger rig. The later offers more settings but the micro has a real nice tone that's perfect for the small pedalboard rig.

Thanks Ian!
    Yes the MJM is sweet, really fat & warm sounding. I have to say I think I still rank my old black Ultravibe as #1 though, the MJM can sometimes be on the edge of being "too fat" & wild at the expense of clarity to me; whereas the Sweetsound has a clearer voice that may sound a little less "impressive" and more "subtle" on its own at first, but it then keeps fantastic presence and clarity once you build up things, especially with fuzz & drive/gain or other effects before and/or after it; the Ultra really sings that way in front of a pushed old classic Marshall.

Yes I'm always having some kind of "dry" in the 2 "wet" cabs, as I set the levels so that the main core tone is always a mix of all the cabs; just sounds better/bigger/more natural and easier to stay "coherent" between different presets that way to me. In some presets there can be no such thing as fully-strict "dry" coming out of the wet cabs though (for instance when I put some stereo chorus on, it being the first thing in line in the rack).

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  14. Ian

Ian Member

Anje, I had one of the first Sweetsound Ultravibes in the big black box. I remember it being very cool, but I sold it to buy the newer, smaller version.....and that one sounded more like a phase to me. I have had a few vibes since then, and finally settled on the MJM....yeah, you are right it is fat and thick, but I really like that about it.

Thanks

15. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

You're welcome Ian.

Not sure my reply above about the "dry in the wet cabs" question was really clear now that I re-read it, don't hesitate to let me know if that made sense.

16. rumbletone

Thanks!!

I’m thinking of moving from my 8space ATA to something lighter ... getting too old to lift that thing in and out of the car for rehearsals ...

Funky Claude likes this.
  17. rumbletone

Yes it was a typo ... or perhaps a Freudian slip??

looper309 likes this.
  18. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

I have downsized significantly from a Mesa 12 space rack plus a Mesa 8 space rack. The Mesa SUS-4 racks are really sturdy, are shock mounted, and have really good wheels, but they are heavy. The 12 space I could only get in and out of my car with help. I like the SKB rollers well enough, and keeping the biggest rack at 6 spaces means that I can move it by myself, with some grunting. I have patch bays on back to make any interconnection fairly easy.

I just assumed it was a typo, and in fact corrected it in your question when I quoted it.

rumbletone likes this.
  19. Funky Claude

Funky Claude Member

I wish that had split my equipment between two rack cases.
    I should have placed pre amp effects in a 4 or 6 rack case, and the effects loop effects in a 3-4 space case.

ctreitzell likes this.
  20. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

Yes, from my experience when one has to move around his own stuff around frequently, especially if using a standard personal car and in a non pro-roadie environment (can face a few strairs here and there, need to walk with the gear a little, etc...), 5U is the real max I find manageable alone.
    Then better to split in a few smaller cases than having to deal with one too big/heavy.

rumbletone and Funky Claude like this.