show me your rack

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by Alex Kenivel, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

Yes, please all take care of your back! So precious, safety first. Beyond the weight itself, the way you lift hold & carry stuff is at least as important. You can get serious injury with just a few kg with the wrong set of circumstances.

Btw the 5U max size I mentioned above was for a standard model (ie: non-shock mount). Shockmount would make the max acceptable size even smaller + most (especially foam based ones) have some constraints in the way you can safely carry them (position...).

Funky Claude likes this.
  2. MantraSky

MantraSky Supporting Member

Years ago I carried the refrigerators "EFX & Power Amps Racks" now a more modest setup :)
    [​IMG]

Smarven, tazzboy and Ian like this.
  3. MikeDV

MikeDV Member

Uh...nothing modest about that setup. No refrigerators, but modest?

teofilrocks likes this.
  4. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

whoa, what's the shield-thingy in front of the Bogner cab?

5. ted.ulrich

ted.ulrich Member

crambone likes this.
  6. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

what an AWFUL web site page, SE!!!! Super high res images taking forever to load....slideshow is far too fast
    not everyone has 100MB broadband speed...mine 1.5 mb at it's fastest...at least it is beautiful and tranquil here where I spend most of my time

looks like an interesting "baffle"

7. MantraSky

MantraSky Supporting Member

That’s a isolated shield from the reflection from the floor etc. works incredibly great where you don’t get artifacts along with the speakers!

8. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

I thought it was time to "up" that cool thread as an excuse to share a couple of photos of the latest incarnations of my compact W/D/W rig, I've been testing 2 slightly different configs with the band since last summer, really happy with the result:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both using a good old 4010 as the main dry tone.
    I'm finding myself gravitating more towards the 4U version lately, as even if the 5U+2U one offers "more" I find it's just over the edge of too much to be moved around everyweek..

johann, rumbletone, James and 5 others like this.
  9. markeee

markeee Member

My first rack what to add to fill in the empty space [​IMG]

10. Ian

Ian Member

Hi Anje!

Great setup! :)

From what I can see in the pic, you are doing something that I was specifically discussing with friends yesterday.....i.e., it looks like you are running your FX rack as its own entity, and controlling it with your midi pedal. In addition you have pedals on your board that you can turn on/off as you like. Is that correct?

A couple of questions....

1. Are the pedals tied to a small loop switcher under the midi pedal, or are they completely separate from the rack/midi?
    2. Are you using your midi controller for preset changes only, or do you have the ability to turn specific things on/off within your PCM81/Yamaha SPX?

BTW, I have that same MJM 60's Vibe.....it's a GREAT unit! ;)

Cheers
    Ian

11. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

Hi Ian,

Thanks!
    You are correct in your first paragraph, the racks effects (which are post-amp using a line out on a speaker tap of the Marshall) are controlled by the MIDI controller on the pedalboard, which also houses few pedals but that are completely separated in front of the amp.

Then to answer your questions:
    1. there's no MIDI looper for the pedals, just old school simple in-line setup in front of the amp. I have a couple of RJM Mini effect gizmos that I use for pedals on shelves in another rack for the bigger rig (that you can actually see closed in the 1st pic), works fantastic, but I decided to go without in the small rig for 2-3 main reasons:
    - first & main one, is that I wanted to keep the pedalboard down to that small format and as light as possible (both in term of weight & $$)
    - 2nd, I don't really need MIDI switching for the pedals with this simple setup, it's very rare I need to do simultaneous switching of 2 or more pedals at a time in the middle of a song. Most level/gain variations for instance I'm used to get playing with the guitar controls and right hand attack dynamic.
    - and finally I kind of like the subtle effect some of those old pedals have on the tone even when off, especially when combined with a good old Marshall pushed a little. Transparent looper is great, and becomes kind of a must IMO when you reach a certain number of pedals, but I liked to have that option of the small simple pedalboard where I can hear and feel the effect of the old Fuzzface + Ibanez pedals for instance.
    2. I use the MIDI controller (RJM Mastermind LT) for various stuff not only PC, including continuous control of some parameters with the Exp pedal you can see besides the pedalboard, especially in the PCM81. LOTS of stuff you can do with those 2, the RJM LT is a very powerful compact controller. SPXs I mostly use just to change presets (especially as the switching on those is very fast), but the SPX900 also offers some level of continuous control possibilities.

Yes the MJM vibe is nice I recall we discussed it some time ago, yet I gotta admit I still prefer my big old Sweetsound Ultravibe (which resides in a loop in the bigger rig) ;)

johann and Ian like this.
  12. Ian

Ian Member

Hi Anje,

Ok, thanks for the run-down on all of that! :)

I am thinking along the exact same lines for my setup:

- A midi foot controller to control my rack -> PCM81/Eclipse/ADA STD-1/Mixer (i.e., via Axess CFX-4 control function box), and a midi expression pedal
    - No loop switcher used for pedals.......just 4 or 5 of my old pedals on the board old-school style

I have been trying to find ways to put the pedals (and loop switcher) in the rack, but I am trying to work within my 6-space Krizkraft rack.....It's not really feasible, and besides, if I want to take an amp/cabinet/effects for mono jams with friends, I can grab that little pedalboard and leave the rack at home! :)

Ah, I had an original Sweetsound Vibe......the big-box version, and it was wicked! ;)

Cheers
    Ian

Funky Claude likes this.
  13. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

Ian, yes as I shared previously a few times, much better to me (for a rig that is meant to travel out of the studio/house) to have several smaller racks than a big one you'll have trouble moving around; I found that 5U is the real max I find practical as soon as you have to move it yourself and can't rely on wheels only. AND you get the modularity as you mention.
    That's why I keep the pedals meant to go in front of amps separated from the post amp rack effects also, gives me modular configs that I can combine depending on the situation; even the pedals racked on shelves for the big rig are in a separate 5U rack. And a small light pedalboard is always a good option to have around indeed.

Ian, Funky Claude and Baba Louie like this.
  14. williamh

williamh Supporting Member

My first rack!

Allthesound and tazzboy like this.
  15. nondeplume

nondeplume Puppet For Prophet

16. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

I've considered using my MOTU interface as my rack mixer. I can see that there would be lots of advantages, but I make many quick changes to my rack mixer while playing, and using a tablet or computer to make those changes might take me out of the moment, I fear. What has your experience been?

nondeplume likes this.
  17. nondeplume

nondeplume Puppet For Prophet

I love it, I don't make a lot of changes. I have a few saved routing setups and just switch those. This is an all digital setup, I can't hear a difference...shrug. The Urei 2192 is real good, known to have an 'analog' quality to it, it's the point of I/O in this setup. I source off the 16a into the 1248 into my computer, same sound when recording pretty much, that's why I do it this way, this signal eventually will be digital these days.

Do you use the MOTU effects in the mixer much? I've haven't as yet, but I think I'll give them a go.

18. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Member

Got the last hardware items to start working out some sounds I’ve been wanting.

[​IMG]

19. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Finally... I see some *systems* in a rack! Cool. Not exactly a "wanna be all" vertically mounted.

Funky Claude likes this.
  20. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

I've used the EQ and compressor when tracking occasionally, but that's it.

nondeplume likes this.