Show me your Red Llama's!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by King Rat, Feb 27, 2012.

1. King Rat

King Rat Member

Who's got em? show me some pics

who is rockin them on their boards?? dont see too many pics on here.

it tried to build a clone and I sucked... I really wanna pick one up but dunno if I can justify getting another overdrive pedal....

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. King Rat

King Rat Member

So of l the people on here begging for a llama reissue and all th drooling of when it came out,

Noone was actually bothered to get one and take a photo? Surprising.

3. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Member

Love the Llama! Perfect for those 5E3 Tweed tones. Very Tom Petty/Neil Youngish.

[​IMG]

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I still think the decay is much harsher than a 5e3, and since living on the edge of distortion is where I like it, I don't use mine much. I've owned an original, played the reissue, but I'm just has happy with my BYOC kit, can't hear any difference...

5. King Rat

King Rat Member

Excellent! I tried to look at your board on google images but the link didn't work.. Awsome stuff! I'm gonna pair it with a Tim and use them for all my I'd sounds

6. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Supporting Member

Lawdy. All that dirt.

7. moondog1ne

moondog1ne Member

Here's my Red Llama pedal after I got it from a store in Long Beach, California.

[​IMG]

8. marvelboy_04

marvelboy_04 Member

i have a clone and its great

9. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Member

LOL!

I do use it all though - so I guess that's all that matters. Just different brushes to paint with so to speak. Allows me to cover all of the different gain sounds I need and get recorded tones that way. Just more versatile.

10. King Rat

King Rat Member

haha I hear ya, I must have about 25 different overdrives at any given time, but I used to use 4 at my most, now its 2/3 and a fuzz for lulz

What are your thoughts on your pedalboard dirtz? whats the scoop?

11. effcee

effcee Member

Jeezzzz... Who turned the Red Llama virus loose in this forum?

12. King Rat

King Rat Member

is that even a real thing haha I can't think of anything worse than something called a red llama virus :stir

13. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Member

I think it has to fit your gig. My 'knack' is reproducing recorded tones live and playing exacting covers of music. And I need a wide variety of tones to do that. Not so much in the time-based effects department but definitely in the drive and compression department. I mainly play classic rock, blues, and country. I use mainly slapback echo or a long repeat usually. And I have a phase for the nice modulation stuff. I find chorus to be cheesy (for my own use, not saying it's bad. I just think of 80s when I hear it.) and flange isn't my thing either. I'll pull them out if a gig requires it but my phase is my go to modulation pedal. That said, it's about ready to go under a redesign. Changing out the Carbon Copy for the Way Huge Supa Puss when it comes out, which will be a more versatile delay and I won't have to do as much changing on the fly. Also going to take off one dirt and add a filter. I don't like wah's generally speaking but a nice envelope filter or autowah is great for that "Tattoos on this Town" tone (Jason Aldean song) and getting that almost semi-talk box tone.

I have about 10 other dirts in storage for a rainy day. I have a 2nd board built and I just need to get a PS and more cables and I'll set it up with some of those and a compressor and delay (I have a Dyna Comp ready to go and the Carbon Copy that will come off of the main board will go on here). It'll be a smaller more condensed version of the big board I can use for fly board needs.

But getting back to your question (sorry, I tend to go on tangents a lot while explaining my situation!), dirts are NOT a one size fits all thing. And to be honest, all gear in general is not that way either. I can't stand the guys who think it's overkill for someone to have 5 delays or a dozen dirts. If they need it, they need it. Or if they want to have it there. It is a personal thing and just because Joe Schmo uses a certain amount of pedals doesn't mean it's right for everyone. I can get a little bitter and sensitive at times with comments about my pedalboard but I just tend to ignore them. But sometimes I have brain-overrun-mouth or brain-overrun-fingers syndrome and can't help but to say something. Unless you are in someones shoes, you really can't say or have no say about if something is overkill or not. Only the player can decide that. I personally think Gear is like your food in a way. Some guys love anchovie pizza. Some guys might say "Man that stuff is disgusting how do you eat that?!". Or guys that won't eat vegetables, or guys that only eat one type of food, or guys that eat a lot of food. Again, it's all personal preference.

My opinion and advice?! Don't let anyone dictate or pressure you about how or what you play or what gear you use unless A - they are paying you to play for them. Certainly not someone on a forum. But just to clear things up, no one here is doing that - I'm talking in general nonspecific terms. But it's something I see a lot and it bugs me.

Bet you are wishing you didn't ask, eh?! :D LOL, I have very strong beliefs on tone and where it comes from and gear and playing. Some of it is very controversial and unique to me, which is fine. I don't mind getting into a heated discussion about something I'm passionate about. Such as the old "tone is in the fingers" thing. Don't even get me started on that - I would crash the forum with my huge post. :rotflmao

14. SurfGreenTele

SurfGreenTele Supporting Member

I'd like to grab one - only $99 new in Canada...pretty rare that the price is actually lower here.:D

I used to have a Tonefactor Mule, which was cool but just ok. Has anyone compared with a new Llama?

15. King Rat

King Rat Member

I love that pushed fender sound... I have a twin so (no break up while my ears work atm haha) I used to rock Dist for the Brutz, Marshall in a box for the 70s plexi thin lizzy sound, a light od for light break up and a clean boost or two for solos.

I terms of llama sounding pedals, I had the menatone dirty blonde which sounded killer with single coils, not so much with humbuggies... I'm hoping thats not the case with other drives that are channeling that kind of sound.

Since getting a 335 I have just been digging the plain sound, so now I can get by with just the Tim for dirt and a clean boost..

by the way your board looks killer!

16. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Member

Thanks! :)

Yeah Fender amps are hard to beat. I love using those Blackfaces and putting those great dirts in front of them. But I come from the Joe Walsh school, so that's probably part of it.

The Tim is a great natural overdrive. I use it constantly especially on country/blues stuff where I don't need much distortion.

17. Jack Luminous

Jack Luminous Member

18. teleclem

teleclem Member

19. Preacherofrock

Preacherofrock Member

Llama, llama red pajama....

sorry, I have to read that book to my son almost every day, so I had to say that.......

Move on, nothing to see here

20. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member